Player Watch Josh Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Daicos looked poised and sharp and was handy in tight. Looks like a 12 year old playing with men at the moment but was a tantalizing little morsel of things to come one feels.
I'm one of the few who remember Peter playing in the reserves ,he to was built like a twelve yr old to said to a ate at the time look at that kid in the long sleeves they haven't got a jumper to fit him the one he has on is about five sizes too big.Also Peter starring in the 2s wasn't in contention for the 1sts so Ron Richards the 2nds coach got his brother Lou to write a article on Daics in the paper to force the pies to play him the rest is history.

I'm one of the few who remember Peter playing in the reserves ,he to was built like a twelve yr old to said to a ate at the time look at that kid in the long sleeves they haven't got a jumper to fit him the one he has on is about five sizes too big.Also Peter starring in the 2s wasn't in contention for the 1sts so Ron Richards the 2nds coach got his brother Lou to write a article on Daics in the paper to force the pies to play him the rest is history.
Though suspect even without articles written, somehow young Peter would have made the seniors.

Those Richards boys, they were a pair

It's a great story though. Lou's book has a lot of great old tales like that. They certainly did things differently in those days.

Just remember he was fresh in a jlt game in the last qaurter against a team who half its players had last year off and had ran out of legs..

*ducks for cover*

No need to duck for cover. Daicos gave us a glimpse of the future though. Doesnt mean hes ready for senior football or people are pumping his tyres up too quickly. Havent seen his name in the "round one team" thread although I might be mistaken.

This is a good point. Peter burst on to the scene from nowhere at a very young age and with no size in an era where size was more of an issue. It was unexpected, but talent won the day. These days there is an expectation that kids will take time to develop - for me this is more mental than anything else. Some are simply more ready than others and it is nor out of the realms of possibility that Daics Jnr is taking to AFL like a duck to water. Its very early days but he seems to have a very good head on his shoulders.

This is a good point. Peter burst on to the scene from nowhere at a very young age and with no size in an era where size was more of an issue. It was unexpected, but talent won the day. These days there is an expectation that kids will take time to develop - for me this is more mental than anything else. Some are simply more ready than others and it is nor out of the realms of possibility that Daics Jnr is taking to AFL like a duck to water. Its very early days but he seems to have a very good head on his shoulders.

didn't take Joel Selwood or Chris Judd long to develop. I recall seeing Judd at his debut match (when Brodie Holland kicked a bag) and we couldn't believe how good he was.

didn't take Joel Selwood or Chris Judd long to develop. I recall seeing Judd at his debut match (when Brodie Holland kicked a bag) and we couldn't believe how good he was.

Both were highly rated juniors, early draft picks.

Ah...
(Just in general)
1. Because you want to win games
2. If his body's not ready - you risk him wearing down or getting injured.
3. If you expose him too early - could take a big hit in confidence & be ridiculed by fans (which becomes very hard to shake).
4. Maybe others are more deserving of a spot

Don't be a forward thinker or a coach for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the end of the day its a pretty rare thing for a first year to come in and smash it like those guys. Gary Ablett Jnr took quite a while to come on and he ended up a reasonably useful player, just took him longer to hit his straps - Swanny too. Everyone is on different paths, it doesn't really matter how you get there as long as you do get there.

At the end of the day its a pretty rare thing for a first year to come in and smash it like those guys. Gary Ablett Jnr took quite a while to come on and he ended up a reasonably useful player, just took him longer to hit his straps - Swanny too. Everyone is on different paths, it doesn't really matter how you get there as long as you do get there.
And we shouldn't assume he will get there. It is a long hard foad to hoe.

Yep. Jack Watts is still trying to get there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Add that the pace and physicality seem to step up a notch every year which generally means these kids are even further removed from being AFL ready when drafted.

Don't be a forward thinker or a coach for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So don't make logical decisions based on what is best for the player or team, and instead just go on whim based on 20 minutes of football from a guy who hasn't even played a half against fully grown men yet?
Yeah, that's a wise way to run a club.

I am excited about Josh, but the kid barely played TAC cup last year. We have no idea how he is gonna play out 120mins of an AFL game (probably a large reason why we only played him a quarter of the JLT game). You don't go into a game for premiership points with guys who can't run out the whole game.
Let's see how much opportunity he gets, and how he goes, over the rest of the preseason - then he may be giving the selectors a decision to make.

But even then - there are a lot of guys ahead of him in the pecking order right now that would probably be staking a claim for those extra small fwd/mid positions (especially if Fas and Elliot are both healthy enough to suit up for round 1)

Would love to read that article!!

I'm happy for young Josh to get a game round one. For as long as I can remember young men have played for the pies earlier than perhaps they might elsewhere. He's got a few tricks...give him a taste of what he's working for.

Fasolo better move his fat arse tonight or it could happen.
Fasolo could lay on the ground tonight, fall asleep, and not touch a football at all and it will have no effect on round 1 selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back