Player Watch Josh Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Daics had been playing U/19's and reserves for a year or so I think before he played that first game against StKilda. So we'd all been watching this kid with the ball on a string controlling seconds games and he wasn't any different in the seniors. Against the saints he did as he liked passing the ball to our forwards with skill and time. On more than a handful of times he left defenders "grasping at thin air" something that would be his trademark in every subsequent game he ever played. He just had an innate ability to know where everyone around him was, he had superb balance and even in an era when most players were dual sided, Daics was just in a league of his own. When he kicked the ball with those taut insteps it inevitably went where he meant it to go. And as we came to know, when he really concentrated (and the tongue rolled out between his lips)....well then opposition teams were really gonna pay!
It was a great debut that day, I saw Peter McKenna kick 12 in one of his first days and thought that was better and also Darren Millane starred the first time I saw him also....but Daics was special. We all knew it before he played but afterwards we were in heaven! And to have 249 more games from him was the stuff of dreams.

Vichy, please tell me as much as you remember about that game. I'm here in Perth and I remember that I heard the radio coverage, and I remember that there was something about him that made me and others excited.

I can't improve on Robroy22 above. Standing on the terraces on the south side of Vic Park, in the now demolished RT Rush Stand, I remember a sense of seeing someone special. I remember feeling bouyant.

But TBH my main memory of that day is catching up with a mate at a party that night, and him wearing his Saints jumper. I admired his show of faith, after the absolute hammering we gave them.

I can't improve on Robroy22 above. Standing on the terraces on the south side of Vic Park, in the now demolished RT Rush Stand, I remember a sense of seeing someone special. I remember feeling bouyant.

But TBH my main memory of that day is catching up with a mate at a party that night, and him wearing his Saints jumper. I admired his show of faith, after the absolute hammering we gave them.
You mean this day..
Saints.JPG

I think the beauty of Daicos making his debut with two games to go is we will finally be able to celebrate having a Rising Star winner at the club for the first time, next year he will go on and become a regular senior player and claim his name as a worthy winner. The irony of the award is Peter would have won it back in his day so he comes from great pedigree.
I'm hoping to see from him this week is to show a confidence air about him, when he touches the ball I want to see in every possession that first gamers don't have!

Expecting no more than 12 touches. As he develops, like Didak... I can't see him averaging more than 15-18 possessions per game.... but like Didak, those touches will be efficient and valuable.

Exactly. Agree we only need 18 disposals on average, low on the tackling say a tick over 1 per game and perhaps average 2.2 goals - you were talking about PeterD?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Screen-Shot-2015-06-20-at-10.47.471.png

Yep I'm excited but I'm a little scared as well.
His father was a once in a generation footballer.
If he is half as good as his Dad that would be great.
He is 18. He looks younger. I fear many supporters will be underwhelmed by his initial contributions.

I hope to see poise and good decision making. That would be nice. Anything above that will be a bonus.

Never seen the kid play... is there much hype around this kid? If his last name wasn't daicos would we still be begging for him to play seniors?

Never seen the kid play... is there much hype around this kid? If his last name wasn't daicos would we still be begging for him to play seniors?

If his last name wasn't Daicos, you'd question his size, but, you'd be saying that this kid has 'it' in spades. You'd be saying how did he slide to our pick, looks a steal, big upside. Has more awareness, space and time than most players on the senior list. He's still a first year player.

Has poise, class and good skills, which is a pleasant change from the inside grunt players we've been drafting recently.

Expecting no more than 12 touches. As he develops, like Didak... I can't see him averaging more than 15-18 possessions per game.... but like Didak, those touches will be efficient and valuable.
If he gets to a Didak level we'll all be delirious.

Whilst even the genius Didak was elite not even he was Peter Daicos - not by a stretch.
But I'd take young Josh being Didak right now. Done! (Without the driving around in cars.)

But his name is Daicos.

(No fuss at all, if he was the late draft pick named Demitriou)

It was such a spanking of Stkilda even as a little kid I don't recall Daicos as such.

What a game to debut, had multiple possessions, well over 20 plus, but no goals, 4 behinds.

Imagine if he kicked goals what the score would look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back