Player Watch Josh Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

The place I work at there's a guy that played junior footy against daicos (private school, daddy will buy me a car type kid) and was telling me daicos wasn't even in the top 5 of his team. Look who's in the AFL champ :D

I'll admit I lost interest in the season after the Queen's Birthday game and the only match I saw after that was the Adelaide game. However with a new found optimism that invariably comes with the off season I have been looking at the stats for a few of the players and was pleasantly surprised by those of both Kirby and Daicos with the former laying 5 tackles in his debut from a poor fitness base and Daicos averaging six across his two senior appearances.

With Daicos he laid 10 tackles against Geelong and only two against Melbourne which distorts his numbers but against Melbourne his ratio of contested to uncontested possessions blew out indicating he played a more outside role.

Most of us see a need for at least one if not two genuine small forwards who can apply some defensive pressure at ground level while still hitting the scoreboard and if these two can build on their starts then imo the club may have already found them.

My question to the masochists out there is what sort of role did Daicos play in each of his two games and similarly what role did Kirby play against Melbourne(deep forward, high half forward etc.)? Additionally what did you think of their intensity without the ball in hand?

Kirby was so gassed it was hard to judge his intensity after the 1st quarter. He played deep forward.
Pretty sure Daicos mainly played half forward. What I did notice was that he is very strong, made most of his tackles stick.

I'll admit I lost interest in the season after the Queen's Birthday game and the only match I saw after that was the Adelaide game. However with a new found optimism that invariably comes with the off season I have been looking at the stats for a few of the players and was pleasantly surprised by those of both Kirby and Daicos with the former laying 5 tackles in his debut from a poor fitness base and Daicos averaging six across his two senior appearances.

With Daicos he laid 10 tackles against Geelong and only two against Melbourne which distorts his numbers but against Melbourne his ratio of contested to uncontested possessions blew out indicating he played a more outside role.

Most of us see a need for at least one if not two genuine small forwards who can apply some defensive pressure at ground level while still hitting the scoreboard and if these two can build on their starts then imo the club may have already found them.

My question to the masochists out there is what sort of role did Daicos play in each of his two games and similarly what role did Kirby play against Melbourne(deep forward, high half forward etc.)? Additionally what did you think of their intensity without the ball in hand?
Kirby gassed very early that day, in the end he was chasing his opponent (Nev Jetta) as a defensive forward. I was pleasantly surprised to see Jetta cop a hard hit at one point and then seemingly looking over his shoulder for the rest of the afternoon. We only really got one thing out of Kirby's debut that day - he hits hard. To answer your question, he played deep. Hard to tell too much, but he does seem to want the ball in his hands, just didn't have the experience and fitness to do it that day.

I don't remember a lot of Daicos other than that beautiful long kick to Cox at the start of the Geelong game, made to look even better by the mark Cox took but still, Daics has a style and I like it. He may still not become a player but it won't be because of lack of talent or lack of fit for our game. He has the right stuff, just needs to keep working hard, building his tank and size. Could be a really nice inside outside player at stoppages who we can look to for good entry into the forward line. I also think he'd work well as a forward but I tend to think early days shows he will be played higher up the ground thanks to his skillset. It'll be about production from here onward.

Kirby gassed very early that day, in the end he was chasing his opponent (Nev Jetta) as a defensive forward. I was pleasantly surprised to see Jetta cop a hard hit at one point and then seemingly looking over his shoulder for the rest of the afternoon. We only really got one thing out of Kirby's debut that day - he hits hard. To answer your question, he played deep. Hard to tell too much, but he does seem to want the ball in his hands, just didn't have the experience and fitness to do it that day.

I don't remember a lot of Daicos other than that beautiful long kick to Cox at the start of the Geelong game, made to look even better by the mark Cox took but still, Daics has a style and I like it. He may still not become a player but it won't be because of lack of talent or lack of fit for our game. He has the right stuff, just needs to keep working hard, building his tank and size. Could be a really nice inside outside player at stoppages who we can look to for good entry into the forward line. I also think he'd work well as a forward but I tend to think early days shows he will be played higher up the ground thanks to his skillset. It'll be about production from here onward.

I agree with this. ^

Daicos didn't look out of place; most importantly he demonstrated that his decision making was very good for a first year player. Strength, stamina, power etc can all be trained. The cognitive side of the game is more difficult to develop and some would say most are born with a hard ceiling.

Kirby has the raw gifts (goal sense, clean hands, nice kick etc) and an aggression that will make him formidable if he commits to the hard yards. He needs to embrace the lifestyle (diet and training) of an elite athlete; the rest will follow.

I echo the Daicos sentiments, he didn't look out of place.
Ofcourse long way to go.
But he does exude a fine skill level to the eye. That unrushed yet quick thinking.

Might just be really good for us.

I look forward to his progression.

(Kirby, once the fitness comes, watch out, he's a tough hombre. He also looks like an adult already not kid like if you know what I mean.)

One thing about Kirby l liked from the Melbourne game that he was nearly in the right spots all game. If he had good fitness he would have got 2 goals. His chasing and tackling was pretty good also. A lot to like, just needs to get his fitness right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daicos & Kirby should play from round 1 next.
Not unless Kick it to the Kirbs gets a tank, otherwise we probably need him to start playing round 1 now.

Kirby hits very hard, only watched him live the once (Wangaratta VFL game), i was sitting on the wing and he absolutely hammered this dude at CHF, you could hear the hit from where i was sitting.

One thing about Kirby l liked from the Melbourne game that he was nearly in the right spots all game. If he had good fitness he would have got 2 goals. His chasing and tackling was pretty good also. A lot to like, just needs to get his fitness right
Good pick up.

A player that knows where to go suggests a good football brain, that's part of the way there

DMfsEUeVQAAXIwc.jpg

Really good today, had a huge third term. His skills are special. Another young player knocking on the door.

After Half Time his Kicking was Sublime.

Does not need a ton of Touches to make a Big Impact with his Kicking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back