Player Watch Josh Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

WE won’t know how good this kid can be for another year or two, it takes time, lucky for the young man some of us are not running the club.
Also people need to stop comparing him to his dad. Judge him in time on who he is, not what family name he has
Let's not shy away from who his father is, just embrace it, the kid is going to be a ripper in his own right and that will be his doing.

Let's not forget, with a bit of luck we have another one with the very famous name coming on board and the comparisons won't go away, they will be louder. None of these kids (Daicos, Brown, Moore) will make it on their name, if they are no good they are no good, the comparisons won't stop, all of the Dad's were in the upper echelon of football royalty when it comes to Collingwood and the competition as a whole.

Josh got dropped, a late reprieve and came in and showed a glimpse of the future. Kid can play, his Dad didn't do that and if he can be half a good as his Dad, he has a career.

Great game on Sat. There was a moment when he was running the ball outside defensive 50 right hand pocket, had nothing upfield and turned and pinpointed a 30m kick on his left. Reminded me of Sam Mitchell. In my opinion being ambidextrous needs to be his greatest strength and should model his career on Sam Mitchell. Will open up both sides of the ground if he can pin point 30-40m passes on both left and right. Impossible to defend.

Really enjoyed Nathan going to him first up in the rooms after the game too, no doubt to congratulate him on his performance.
Call up with barely 10mins to go, limited warm up to some degree and to put in the performance that he did, was a real professional performance from Josh.

A very nice gesture by the coach to acknowledge.

Really enjoyed Nathan going to him first up in the rooms after the game too, no doubt to congratulate him on his performance.
Call up with barely 10mins to go, limited warm up to some degree and to put in the performance that he did, was a real professional performance from Josh.

A very nice gesture by the coach to acknowledge.
Every single game this season when we've all expected a young player to need a spell in the VFL they've stepped up.
It's been great!

Let's not shy away from who his father is, just embrace it, the kid is going to be a ripper in his own right and that will be his doing.
Sometimes people’s expectations of are because of the name, and that is totally unfair, l say embrace josh for who he is, not because of the name.
To many father sons in the past have been judged because of their father.
I agree, l think in time he will be a ripper of a player.

TBH whilst I don't have the stats on hand I can almost guarantee statistically he would be infront of G Ablett Jnr at this stage of their careers .

Have no fear, daicos will be a player..... he probably won’t reach the height of his dad (that’s pretty rare air) but I think we’ll get 150-200 god games out of him. He’s classy, he’ll defintely come good.
I agree that 150-200 godlike games would not quite be as good as his father, but still a decent output.

TBH whilst I don't have the stats on hand I can almost guarantee statistically he would be infront of G Ablett Jnr at this stage of their careers .
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=10&type=A&pid1=6319&pid2=230&fid1=O&fid2=O

Averages ahead in disposals and marks but behind in goals and tackles at the same age, albeit GAJ had more games under his belt.

edit: this might be a better comparison, GAJ's 2003 season to SOMM's 2018 season

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...A&pid1=6319&pid2=230&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2003

Similar stats with GAJ significantly ahead in goals

Maynard seemed to rate his game
Ju3jTi9.gif

I think we should drop him every week and then have him be a late inclusion. Seems to work well.

He looks better on the wing linking up rather than a small forward

Agree. He is a Lovely Kick of the Ball with his Field Kicks but Looks Lost in the Forward Line and not the Best Set Shot for Goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great game on Sat. There was a moment when he was running the ball outside defensive 50 right hand pocket, had nothing upfield and turned and pinpointed a 30m kick on his left. Reminded me of Sam Mitchell. In my opinion being ambidextrous needs to be his greatest strength and should model his career on Sam Mitchell. Will open up both sides of the ground if he can pin point 30-40m passes on both left and right. Impossible to defend.

I like this comparison and agree that there is a similar skill set / physical attributes with Mitchell. Obviously you can’t compare them as productive AFL footballers yet but it’s definitely the model Josh should be aiming for. His tackling has really improved too.

The kids delivery on either foot is impressive, remind you of anyone??

I agree it's his career but I like to celebrate the DNA linkage and hopefully by then end we see a similar storyline to the Abblett's where Gary Jnr. made his career his own after the constant comparisons, his Dad is celebrated not only by his own amazing career but also through his son's career. The sum of the combined careers is far greater than each as individuals, I like that.

I think the father-son rule is one of the great unique things about our game. yes we have been beneficiaries of the rule but the romance of the whole thing stands out in today's corporatised AFL. And to use another analogy SOS wouldn't have had his nickname if it wasn't for the FS rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Back