Player Watch Josh Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee whiz the hate for Phillip's is staggering

Only thing I hate about him is his set shots at goal..

Bloke is consistent and rarely injured
To clarify, I’m not hating on Phillips, but if he’s been replaced in his preferred position and another club comes knocking then it would be tempting for him. It would also mean convenient cap relief for us and potentially give us the means to trade up the draft order.

Well Gaff is the best winger in the comp with Sidebottom so comparing any winger to them you're gonna come up short and probably way short at that. Phillips has no business playing forward wasting his best asset his endurance. He has decent goal sense but not elite which is what you really want, he is also a fairly lousy set shot and average mark.

What if he uses his endurance to run his opponent off his legs? Could lead to a few over the back goals or help him find space alone inside 50

Gee whiz the hate for Phillip's is staggering

Only thing I hate about him is his set shots at goal..

Bloke is consistent and rarely injured

Treloar isn't playing so he is copping it twice as much.

Well Gaff is the best winger in the comp with Sidebottom so comparing any winger to them you're gonna come up short and probably way short at that. Phillips has no business playing forward wasting his best asset his endurance. He has decent goal sense but not elite which is what you really want, he is also a fairly lousy set shot and average mark.

Yep, he can run a long way.

DE% by kicks @ 54% YTD, and at 33% against the Saints.
Scoring efficiency at 33% YTD

Doesn't help his cause when vast majority of his shots are set shots from around 40 meters or closer on next to no angle.

Doesn't help his cause when vast majority of his shots are set shots from around 40 meters or closer on next to no angle.
Yeah he’s a terrible set shot, I laughed when he slotted one against Richmond and Wayne Carey talked about how fluid his set shot was

Can undo some great work, I get that he does cover some distance and it is how he gets a lot of possession, he may be a little fatigued when kicking for goal but I am never confident when he's lining up.

These numbers really highlight his flaws.
This is why Daicos is being preferred on wing--not only is he slicker by foot he is also calm with ball in hand.
On top of this--he also isn't running in quick sand.

High half forward- has the endurance to be an extra mid across the ground. Tipping most half back flankers wouldn’t be able to keep up with him late in quarters.
With the shortened quarters it may not get to that stage. We also now have Rantall with that elite endurance, but I've always been an admirer of Phillips irregardless.

These numbers really highlight his flaws.
This is why Daicos is being preferred on wing--not only is he slicker by foot he is also calm with ball in hand.
On top of this--he also isn't running in quick sand.

Exactly. He's building his possession numbers as well, and using the footy at something north of 85%DE, including kicking efficiency into the 70's %. And he had a poorer game by foot Saturday. He's really blossomed this year. Now just needs to look forward more regularly because I think he still too often looks for an outlet behind him rather than down the ground.

Interesting to see how the year evolves for him, particularly how it compares with someone like Phillips at the same age which would equate to the 2018 season for Phillips. 2018 was probably his very best so Daic's has a challenge ahead.

At the moment Phillips has him well covered for possessions (+7) and meters gained (x2). I'd assume meters covered as well. But Daic's is making a hell of a lot less mistakes and not costing us going the other way.

Getting a bit more involved through out the game instead of flashes here and there, lot to go yet, but promising signs so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy at this stage for young Josh to stay in despite the lower possession rates due to the much more damaging disposal.

Phillips has been a soldier for some time and has given his all but Josh is just about break even impact and a hugely higher cieling.

Realistically what would Phillips net us should Daic's nail down the wing role, and given we have the likes of Sidebottom, Mayne, Rantall etc all capable to play outside as well? Strikes me as the "in-vogue" outside mid type like Gaff that another club desperate for outside run might pay overs for.

I don't mind Phillips personally, but if Josh's development gives us the luxury of moving Phillips on to help us address our main flaw, being a KPF, than I'd be all for it.

Realistically what would Phillips net us should Daic's nail down the wing role, and given we have the likes of Sidebottom, Mayne, Rantall etc all capable to play outside as well? Strikes me as the "in-vogue" outside mid type like Gaff that another club desperate for outside run might pay overs for.

I don't mind Phillips personally, but if Josh's development gives us the luxury of moving Phillips on to help us address our main flaw, being a KPF, than I'd be all for it.

You'd get a 2nd rounder for Phillips, not much more.

I think it would depend on the suitor. Still young, has some elite traits and potentially some up-side. Probably a 2nd rounder would max it out.

Personally, I'd rather see him fix his issues (disposal by foot, defensive aspects) and stay because that potential upside remains.

We have Reef coming in so it would have to be a future second or bump our own first up. I wouldn’t trade Phillips, Sidey and Mayne are old. Rantall I see more as not someone who will be a full time winger. So it would just be Daicos, WHE and maybe Bianco

And I think his trade value would be between pick 20-25 based on what we gave up for Greenwood and WHE and what we received for Wellingham and Dawes albeit a long time ago now
And the prospective club would respond with displayed traits indicate a flawed disposal technique that may very well be the best he is ever going to get.

Mid second round at best 35-35.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back