Past Josh Deluca

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we lost an opportunity to find a small forward, or reward a great northern Blues player.

Picked an injured mid/tagger and played him out of position when he eventually played.

Can't question his endeavour.

Good luck to Josh getting a new contract.

Interesting contrasting stories Marlion Pickett and Josh Deluca.

Best summation on here. Great endeavour, solid citizen, good depth, but just lacking a little polish.

Which combined with his hamstring injury when picked up, makes the original selection of him baffling.

Surely having 1st pick overall we could have utilized it better.

One can sell it any way one wants, but we just keep making poor decisions via rookie drafts and late picks.
13 players got picked up in the Mid-Season rookie draft and we're the only ones that 'had' to get rid of their player......and we had first pick.

Our lower-end recruiting/drafting has been poor when you also now take into account Kerr and Schumacher coming off the list in recent weeks.
Over the course of SOS's tenure Geelong have netted themselves Parsons, Henry, Atkins.

There have been some good players coming out of the rookie drafts (Papley included) but in 4 years we haven't nailed one. This must change.

One can sell it any way one wants, but we just keep making poor decisions via rookie drafts and late picks.
13 players got picked up in the Mid-Season rookie draft and we're the only ones that 'had' to get rid of their player......and we had first pick.

Our lower-end recruiting/drafting has been poor when you also now take into account Kerr and Schumacher coming off the list in recent weeks.
Over the course of SOS's tenure Geelong have netted themselves Parsons, Henry, Atkins.

There have been some good players coming out of the rookie drafts (Papley included) but in 4 years we haven't nailed one. This must change.
I hope they can and will learn from their mistakes. They have to do something to correct that trend.

I think we lost an opportunity to find a small forward, or reward a great northern Blues player.

Picked an injured mid/tagger and played him out of position when he eventually played.

Can't question his endeavour.

Good luck to Josh getting a new contract.

Interesting contrasting stories Marlion Pickett and Josh Deluca.
Well I guess both Pickett and Deluca both have hurt factor by foot. Problem is Deluca's not hurting the opposition.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Pretty disappointed in the club over the delisting and the initial drafting. As Harker pointed out, we are the only club so far, not keep our pick.

Agresta at the time, said Josh as a long term fit, so what did they find out, that they couldn’t of known already?

I’m pretty sure Josh is doing the pre season with us, in the hope of getting a deal before the season starts, which is good.

Seems like a wasted opportunity by the recruiting team.

Disappointing for Josh, but perhaps the club sees a better version, a much better version that contributes to our rise

It's always brutal, but it has to be honest
Probably didnt see enough of him to be sure.....however i am sure we got 3 or 4 at a similar level to him still on our list

Might it be not making a huge difference......obviously a fringe player,who was working hard to do that

good luck to him

I'm somewhat confused by Deluca's delisting but at the same time I always felt the mid-season draft was more stop-gap than long term.

I will be interested to see how many games Marlion Pickett plays for the Tiggies next year because I don't believe he is best 22 & his selection in the GF was on the back of a good, not great game in the VFL GF. His VFL performances prior had been solid at best. He was fortunate enough to land in a system which is at the top of its game & he is now a premiership player. Good luck to him however I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the WAFL in a couple of years' time.

I'm somewhat confused by Deluca's delisting but at the same time I always felt the mid-season draft was more stop-gap than long term.

I will be interested to see how many games Marlion Pickett plays for the Tiggies next year because I don't believe he is best 22 & his selection in the GF was on the back of a good, not great game in the VFL GF. His VFL performances prior had been solid at best. He was fortunate enough to land in a system which is at the top of its game & he is now a premiership player. Good luck to him however I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the WAFL in a couple of years' time.
Cerainly not Brownlow material like some Richmond drongos would have you believe.

In the WAFL, his specialty was in stoppages....bigger bodied who could clear the ball from stoppages. Once Murph and Eduardo pull the pin, we're just a tad light on in that area.

Still think he's a chance to be re-rookied, but for **** sake, if we're going to draft a midfielder, at least see what he can offer in the midfield before we dump him. It's amazing what Gibbo delivered in the last half of last season when given opportunities in the position where he won a couple of JJ's...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a bad look. I don’t like it at all.

First pick in the mid season draft, on the scrap heap not even 5 months later?

What more could Josh have done in his time at the club?

What a waste.
What's more confusing is he was playing as a mid in the WAFL yet we recruit him as a small forward.

Pretty disappointed in the club over the delisting and the initial drafting. As Harker pointed out, we are the only club so far, not keep our pick.

Agresta at the time, said Josh as a long term fit, so what did they find out, that they couldn’t of known already?

I’m pretty sure Josh is doing the pre season with us, in the hope of getting a deal before the season starts, which is good.

Seems like a wasted opportunity by the recruiting team.
what kind of message does that send him - we cut you but hang around for the preseason in case we change our mind - what a wonderful confidence boost! Feel like we really dropped the ball on this one, maybe Brendon Bolton tied our hands at the time with his specific wants or maybe we just screwed up.

Yep, I tend to think we take the wrong approach and treat it a bit like football charity. Someone on some old thread here or elsewhere actually hinted at as much but defended it.

From his SEN interview
-Really wants to be at the club.
-No other club has sounded him out yet.
-Will continue to train for next month in hope that a spot opens up.
-Feels his footy blossomed when he went into midfled in WAFL.
-Likes living in Melbourne; so not a given that he'll go back to Perth if he isn't selected by a club.

From his SEN interview
-Really wants to be at the club.
-No other club has sounded him out yet.
-Will continue to train for next month in hope that a spot opens up.
-Feels his footy blossomed when he went into midfled in WAFL.
-Likes living in Melbourne; so not a given that he'll go back to Perth if he isn't selected by a club.

If anything he's a player who would improve our VFL side so I hope he signs with the Northern Blues if he's not offered a contract.

I was kind of hoping he would stay knowing that he would likely play most of his football in the reserves.

Probably not going to get much senior opportunity with the recruitments of Betts and likely recruitment of Martin along with the improvement of our young midfielders and Cuningham hopefully getting through a season.

I'm guessing there will be a chance he gets selected but we will see.

We must think there will be enough in the drafts to fill our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back