Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2011
Basement of the J. Edgar Hoover Building
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester City, Melbourne Victory
Confirmed.

He took a tour of the club at sometime during the week, with him having massive interest in Steve Saunders. He basically led him around the place and showed him the ropes.

Drummond's family is in the final stages of moving to Melbourne, so I'd assume if not us, someone else will jump. Def behind, Polec and Golby in their half back flank roles at Brisbane.

Now, I look at this in one or a few ways.

If anyone can fix him, it's Saunders. He's bargain price, and we know what he can do if he's fit and firing.

Really?

Drummo is one guy I rate highly.

As you say though, its a balance of Injury vs Cost. Would come cheap, but would his body hold up.

My mate is going to hate this, he was only saying the other day how they need to retain him.

I'd take him for sure. He should be cheap, obviously just have to be careful on his injury history. But if we can pick him up for the right price, salary wise. I'd say we should do it for sure.

Weird.

Last year we had no depth off half back. Now it is almost a strength with Atley and Wright emerging and McKenzie and Sierra recruited plus McDonald coming next year.

Weird.

Last year we had no depth off half back. Now it is almost a strength with Atley and Wright emerging and McKenzie and Sierra recruited plus McDonald coming next year.

The way footy's going. What's Hawthorn's greatest asset? The half-back/flanker depth w/ kicking skills.

His player profile on the Lions site showcases his injury history nicely. :oops: Restricted FA, but it sounds like Brisbane wouldn't bid for his services?

Didn't realise he was 29. Always been a fan but at his age with his health issues....not sure how I feel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as I understand it, a restricted free agent can be approached and we can make an offer, however if Brisbane choose to match the offer then he would be retained. An unrestricted free agent can choose to leave even if their current club matches the bid.

can someone explain the difference between restricted FA and unrestricted FA?

eligibility_free_agency.jpg

The Guidelines as released by the AFL:

A player who has served seven seasons or less at one AFL club and is now out of contract is not eligible for free agency if his club wishes to retain him. He may only move clubs via a trade or the Draft. If he delists himself, he is subject to the draft and may be selected by any club.

A player has served seven seasons or less at one AFL club and has been delisted:

- The player is a Free Agent and is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.
- The player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.
- The player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice.
- The original club which chose to delist him does not receive any compensation draft pick.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENT

A player who has served eight or more seasons at one AFL club, is one of the top 25% highest-paid players at his club, and now out of contract for the first time since March 1 in his eighth season.

- The player is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.
- If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.
- His club has the right to match the presented offer.
- If the club matches the offer, he may choose to remain with his original club, seek a trade or enter the Draft.
- If the club does not or can not match the offer, the player can move to the new club of his choice.
- His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player based on the above explained formula.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT

A player who has served eight or more seasons at one AFL club, is not in the top 25% of the club's highest players and is now out of contract for the first time in eight seasons OR has served ten or more seasons at one AFL club, has come out of contract once during that period after March 1 in his eighth season and is now out of contract.

- The player is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.
- If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.
- His club does NOT have the right to match the presented offer, and the player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice.
- His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, based on the aforementioned formula.

As far as I understand it, a restricted free agent can be approached and we can make an offer, however if Brisbane choose to match the offer then he would be retained. An unrestricted free agent can choose to leave even if their current club matches the bid.
Spot on.

If we make an offer and Brisbane match it he is theirs unless he nominates for the draft.

As he apparently has moved back to Melbourne it appears that Brissy are prepared to let him go. Will they push for a draft pick or player in return though?

Spot on.

If we make an offer and Brisbane match it he is theirs unless he nominates for the draft.

As he apparently has moved back to Melbourne it appears that Brissy are prepared to let him go. Will they push for a draft pick or player in return though?

If Drummond has packed up and left, and he is touring our clubs facilities, then the two clubs have probably already come to an understanding.

If Drummond has packed up and left, and he is touring our clubs facilities, then the two clubs have probably already come to an understanding.
Yeah, likely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back