Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Why? You’d think you’re favourites as he’s already nominated you once.

Yeah, then they hung him out to dry by putting up an offer that even Dodo said he wouldn't take. Richmond or Geelong will make an actual serious play for him next year... maybe Carlton.

Laughable. When has that ever been Essendon's strategy. It's what they should do, but their last 5 years of list management says otherwise.
Yeah it's not like we passed up giving away picks for an inside mid this trade period.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
He’ll be leaving. Not to essendon but he’s gone imo

Everyone said that about Papley after his request trade to Carltoñ failed to materialize last year.

Personally I would be worried about how much influence Josh's control freak of a father has over him.

Mind you, I can see the Dogs being big improvers and top 4 material next season, winning games and finals is a great way to change the mood of unhappy players.

Say what you want about Luke Beveridge and his coaching, but the Dogs have rarely lost quality players to rival club's under his watch (Stringer became too toxic at the Kennel and had to be moved on)

You had the currency this year and you will have it next year.
We're not giving a top 5 pick for him. We can't afford to and we don't have any other firsts atm.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
8AF3AFC0-3A7A-4F11-A1F2-ADEF4D94C45B.png

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
In a funny way, the Bombers might have done The Dogs and Dunkley a favour with this failed attempt to poach him, Dunks has a lot to prove to win back the trust of his teammates and supporters, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he knuckles down and has a career best/borderline AA season (like Papley did with the Swans).

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
It wouldn’t surprise me if Carlton will be inquiring about Josh Dunkley at the end of next year

cherrypie

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think Essendon have missed their chance with Dunkley. I still think he'll try to be traded to another club though. Geelong seem like a good fit imo.
I think Richmond would be his best fit if he chooses to leave. He'd have a good shot at a flag in the short term and Richmond will be looking for midfielders as Cotchin and Martin approach retirement. Also would have decent youth around him that could continue to go well if they replace their experienced players successfully.

Andrew would love the extra $$$ from potential sponsors and media spotlight at a big club.

Last edited:
In case you all missed the sticky post, death riding a trade that did or didn’t happen last season belongs in the wash up sub-board thread – it’s old news.

Better yet, that board has slightly different rules so you can be a bit of a hindsight troll without being immediately thread banned...

Why? You’d think you’re favourites as he’s already nominated you once.
Dunkley family unhappy with the Bombers according to a few people.

If he really wants security and to be the first mid, he seems a perfect replacement for Cunnington. I'm not 100% sure he leaves, he's an injury to Libba away from playing his preferred position and with Stef Martin at the club he won't be pinch hitting in the ruck. If he does we'll get a good pick or two in a supposedly good draft.

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Geez, Darcy Parish has bulked up.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
It wouldn’t surprise me if Carlton will be inquiring about Josh Dunkley at the end of next year
Why they have Cripps the best contested midfielder in the comp plenty of other holes they need to plug first like getting a quality ruckman

Back