Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't be overstated how much it's worth having an 800k player on your books for half that for the next 2 years, whilst you're having a tilt at a flag. That would have made the trade nearly impossible, and I would not have traded a player like Dunkley for even pick 1 in hindsight, given it could be the difference between a premiership in 2021 or 2022, or nothing. To replace him with someone that would impact us just as much, would cost at least an extra 500k of cap space over 2 years, plus whatever picks we aquired.

You aren't wrong - that's probably why he wanted to leave rofl.

it will be interesting how the dogs lock away their list cap wise over the next few years.

There is an immense amount of talent coming to the end of their contracts on the dogs. Sam Power will earn his money making it all work.

no one was paying Hugh Greenwood as much as the suns were. That's why he went there.

hes 29 years old and needs to take the highest $$ offer he can before he's out of the game.
His contract is for $350k - $400k per year plus incentives. At the time, it wasn't particularly unreasonable, but on recent form it would have him as one of the most underpaid players in the competition given how important he is to the Suns. Essendon should have enquired at that price

You aren't wrong - that's probably why he wanted to leave rofl.

it will be interesting how the dogs lock away their list cap wise over the next few years.

There is an immense amount of talent coming to the end of their contracts on the dogs. Sam Power will earn his money making it all work.

I think Tom Boyd retiring has helped out

His contract is for $350k - $400k per year plus incentives. At the time, it wasn't particularly unreasonable, but on recent form it would have him as one of the most underpaid players in the competition given how important he is to the Suns. Essendon should have enquired at that price

not un reasonable by any means but I don't really see the need to get him when we have guys like Darcy parish etc who we need to develop in that role anyway. He would only be taking the spot of a kid whos developing so no real need I guess, especially at 400K

Sam power will make sure they will be accounted for we don’t lose players that we want to keep

he has done a pretty good job thus far so cant really doubt him i guess.

You can take Wild Bill out of the North but you can take the North out of Wild Bill.

Maybe you need to check the actual statistics instead of always trying to take a pot shot at Essendon at every opportunity. We get it. You don't like Essendon.

Dunkley would absolutely not be our best player and Merrett would also be in the AA team if it was chosen right now.

Merrett is statistically better Career wise and they are generally on Par in 2021 in terms of Key Stats, Dunkley is a better inside mid where Merrett is a better user of the ball and averages almost DOUBLE the meters gained.- shock horror you know, because that's the position they play.

No ones debating Dunkley isn't a great player. But 2 x top 10 picks for a re building team? lol. No.
Maybe head over to the rolling AA thread and try and a sneak Merret in - no one has him in including and there are lots of ess supporters posts. Maybe everyone is anti essendon? Everyone has Dunkley in.

He is out performing in the majority of key stats. Your going to have to pay up if you have another crack.

Maybe head over to the rolling AA thread and try and a sneak Merret in - no one has him in including and there are lots of ess supporters posts. Maybe everyone is anti essendon? Everyone has Dunkley in.

He is out performing in the majority of key stats. Your going to have to pay up if you have another crack.

Oh sorry

Didn’t realise the AA was chosen by big footy.

Merrett is having just as good a season. In fact Merret was in the round 4 SEN rolling AA team and guess what, Dunkley isn’t in it. I’d hedge a bet they have a better idea than people on big footy rofl.

Will it change? Maybe.....but Your point about Dunkley automatically being our best player is far from factual.

It's why I was so surprised by the pursuit happening in 2020 in particular. ....
We don't really know if we were pursuing him for 2020. Every club would be talking and chasing multiple players, with a long term strategy. We may have been in talks with Dunkley for a while with an aim to trading him in when his contract expires. Instead, he says "I'd be keen to come this year". And suddenly you have to work with that.

The rumours around the SSS trades was that the club was gobsmacked all three said yes. I suspect every club has many targets, and the chance of any particular one saying yes at any time is probably less than 5%.

Oh sorry

Merrett is having just as good a season. In fact Merret was in the round 4 SEN rolling AA team and guess what, Dunkley isn’t in it. I’d hedge a bet they have a better idea than people on big footy rofl.

Will it change? Maybe.....but Your point about Dunkley automatically being our best player is far from factual.

Dunkley is 1 vote ahead of Merrett on the coaches votes to this point of the season.

Merrett gets criminally underrated imo, in 2020 he was ahead of Macrae, Guthrie, Dangerfield and Martin in the coaches votes, who were all selected in the AA side for example.

Extremely consistent player, so Merrett racking up yet another game where he has 25+ disposals and 350+ metres gained is barely noteworthy.

Oh sorry

Fair enough - if Sen is the source of truth:

2021 Ziebell >>>> Ridley.

not un reasonable by any means but I don't really see the need to get him when we have guys like Darcy parish etc who we need to develop in that role anyway. He would only be taking the spot of a kid whos developing so no real need I guess, especially at 400K
Mate, Darcy Parish is a midget. One of the main problems your mob has had is too many short people in the midfield. Don't even try to pretend a 24 year old Dunkley or Greenwood wouldn't have been a perfect pickup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, Darcy Parish is a midget. One of the main problems your mob has had is too many short people in the midfield. Don't even try to pretend a 24 year old Dunkley or Greenwood wouldn't have been a perfect pickup.

when the * did i say Dunkley wouldn't have been a perfect pickup?

Greenwood is like 29/30, he will add nothing to our re build. Zero point in getting him.

not for that price though.

when the fu** did i say Dunkley wouldn't have been a perfect pickup?

Greenwood is like 29/30, he will add nothing to our re build. Zero point in getting him.

not for that price though.
Why do you think your man Kevin Sheedy picked up Chad Cornes, Luke Power, Dean Brogan and James McDonald for GWS's first year in the competition?

Last edited:
Why do you think your man Kevin Sheedy picked up Chad Cornes, Luke Power, Dean Brogan and James McDonald for GWS's first year in the competition?

wtf are you talking about? entirely different circumstances......our team already has senior players, GWS's didn't.

Hugh greenwood has played 70 games at 30 years old...............Darcy Parish has played 80 games......at 23 years old.

Parish is actually MORE experienced than Greenwood.

What's the point in playing a 30 year old 400k a year to do what Parish can do at 23? We are re building. We don't need to put games into a 30 year old at the loss of giving them too a 23 year old......

Who's multi are you?

wtf are you talking about? entirely different circumstances......our team already has senior players, GWS's didn't.

Hugh greenwood has played 70 games at 30 years old...............Darcy Parish has played 80 games......at 23 years old.

Parish is actually MORE experienced than Greenwood.

What's the point in playing a 30 year old 400k a year to do what Parish can do at 23? We are re building. We don't need to put games into a 30 year old at the loss of giving them too a 23 year old......

Who's multi are you?
This is a deluded take. Parish is a midget, he doesn't have nearly the same physical presence as Greenwood in the stoppages.

This is a deluded take. Parish is a midget, he doesn't have nearly the same physical presence as Greenwood in the stoppages.

Hugh Greenwood 31 Clearances.

Darcy Parish 29 Clearances.

They are SO far apart.

Lol get out of here.

You think clearances alone account for physical presence? Sounds like you don't know much.

physical presence doesn't mean anything if you aren't getting the ball out of the stoppage.

I'd say based on the results Parish is doing fine, for being a "midget" and all. Not to mention he is 6 years younger than Greenwood.

But please. Keep telling me how much you think you know, on your multi account.

Parish has been pretty decent this year tbh. Bombers fans have been patient but looks like he might be a solid AFL player

He's always been fine when played on-ball, the problem is that he's not big enough (height or weight wise) to be an elite clearance player, not explosive enough to play inside-outside, and not good enough by foot to play outside.

Still, this year he's averaging a similar number of clearances as Lyons & Walsh, and more than Viney, Steele, Dunkley, Hopper, Wines & Petracca to name a few. So not doing too poorly on the inside. Also running around 12 Contested Possesions / game since moving on-ball after Shiel & Caldwell went down, which puts him in the ballpark of a Neale, Viney, Crouch or Adams.

If he can keep getting stronger and heavier (seeing as at 181cm he's not going to get taller) there's no real reason he can't be a similar inside player as a Neale (177cm) or Adams (181cm). He's 23 so should be able to gain a little bit more weight still. Don't think he'll ever reach the Elite tier, but no reason he can't be a solid AFL grade midfielder.

Tippa has career high limited impact. Stats ain’t saving him. 5 games - named in your best once. He has been closer to wog than bog in the other 4.

LOL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back