Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dunkley's friendship with Treloar is WAY overrated, lets be real.....does anything think Treloar is going to give Dunkley some of his Pay to keep him at the dogs? Cause I reckon he will take the $$ over pre training coffee sessions with Treloar if it came down to it.

As discussed before The Dogs have a SERIOUS amount of Talent coming to the end of their contracts in the next couple of years that the dogs will need to get within their cap, a lot of these are young players (Bontempelli,Naughton, Mcrae, Dunkley, Baily Smith, English etc etc), somethings going to have to give to fit everyone in the reduced cap.

What do dogs fans actually think Dunkley is worth IF he asks to leave again? There's no way the dogs will get the 2 x Top 10 picks they asked for last year. SO id be interested in what they actually think he is worth.
He’s contracted. He’s worth whatever we ask for him. “Fair” doesn’t come into it. A very good first rounder plus a second would maybe get it done if Dunkley was still desperate to get out.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Last year a deal could not be done by the simple fact that the dogs had to match JUH so any picks would have been eaten up.

If a trade was done this year I reckon a first rounder of Essendon finish bottom 6 and a future second is about right. However, given the current position of the dogs, Dunkley is worth more to the dogs as a player whilst challenging than picks are. And picks are probably worth more to Essendon that Dunkley is. Essendon don’t want to go down the st kilda path and trade players in at the expense of the draft before they build their core group from the draft

He’s contracted. He’s worth is whatever we ask for him. “Fair” doesn’t come into it.

I didn't mention the word fair? I asked what you think he's worth.

Read what I type or don't quote me.

Last year a deal could not be done by the simple fact that the dogs had to match JUH so any picks would have been eaten up.

If a trade was done this year I reckon a first rounder of Essendon finish bottom 6 and a future second is about right. However, given the current position of the dogs, Dunkley is worth more to the dogs as a player whilst challenging than picks are. And picks are probably worth more to Essendon that Dunkley is. Essendon don’t want to go down the st kilda path and trade players in at the expense of the draft before they build their core group from the draft

See what you mean and there's probable value there but with the emergence of Parish there's no way we give a Top 6 Pick + a 2nd Rounder for Dunkley. Simply no need for us to do it.

I'd rather us target a Key Forward.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon

Very smart assessment for both sides.

Although, I think STK and Ess are totally different in terms of lists/the youth they're developing. Dunkley is definitely worth more to the Dogs whilst they challenge for the flag in the next year or two but salary/cap space comes a big thing in the overall scheme of things and I think if they forsee it becoming an issue down the track they may just take the hit and capitalize on his maximum value now. But, I'm sure there is a fair chance the Dogs will squeeze it out right until the end and hold him until the end of 2022 to try to win the flag with him as that makes sense too.

If the Dogs didn't have the depth they did in the midfield, holding him until the end of 2022 wouldn't even come into question - as they 100% would, no questions asked! But, given they have a pretty solid fringe option in Lipinski just waiting in the wings who looks to be a gun in the making, I think they're surely assessing all options.

I think a first-rounder is definitely a fair, as part of the deal. What comes alongside that now is the question. With the addition of a second-rounder, I think the Dogs would surely look at it. So, a 1st + 2nd would be a good starting point. Possibly even a 1st + two 2nd's, but that may even be overs. Not entirely sure what their current draft hand is like for 2021 and their need for points but maybe even helping the Dogs out by dealing some later picks for points if they need for F/S players. If there were an established defender that is possibly coming to the end of their reign (or can't get in a team), but can still play I think the Dogs may even look at that as in terms of overall balance the Dogs defence looks to be their weakest point.
We have a first rounder and a fourth rounder only, having traded our second and third rounders out for Treloar and Hannan respectively.
At this stage we have Sam Darcy as a FS projecting as a late second round bid, and Cody Raak as an NGA who could go anywhere. There's also Ewan McPherson as a FS who looks a late pick/rookie prospect, and one potential NGA kid pick up who projects as a rookie pick as a small pressure forward.

I'd expect there are a couple of players who may want to move on for more opportunity and we'll probably target a KPD as we have done every year for the past few years.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
See what you mean and there's probable value there but with the emergence of Parish there's no way we give a Top 6 Pick + a 2nd Rounder for Dunkley. Simply no need for us to do it.

Agree, no way Ess give up a top-six pick (given that's what we get when finishing the year) with the rebuild we're going through. The only way I could see us getting back into that high of the draft for another pick is if we trade a player of quality out, which doesn't look like happening. Even then, I'm sure they'd look to use it on a player rather than trading it for Dunkley.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

That’s fine you won’t get him then. In all honesty what’s the point in continuing this Dunkley chat if you honestly believe there’s no way you give up a first and a second? You were quoted 2 firsts last year for a contracted player and he’s still contracted and has played better. It only ever ends up with Essendon fans saying they want him but don’t want to pay the price for him which is your prerogative but we’re not going to just give him to you. Round and round for 6 months and no one on either side of the argument has anything new to add.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
We have a first rounder and a fourth rounder only, having traded our second and third rounders out for Treloar and Hannan respectively.
At this stage we have Sam Darcy as a FS projecting as a late second round bid, and Cody Raak as an NGA who could go anywhere. There's also Ewan McPherson as a FS who looks a late pick/rookie prospect, and one potential NGA kid pick up who projects as a rookie pick as a small pressure forward.

I'd expect there are a couple of players who may want to move on for more opportunity and we'll probably target a KPD as we have done every year for the past few years.
The only real established player in terms of KPD that Ess have on their list, but has been injured recently and is only just now getting back through the VFL is Patrick Ambrose. When he's on, he's a pretty good lockdown defender. Not sure he's that bonafide number one option for the Dogs down back but he's a pretty good option. He's pretty beloved at Ess, so can't see them trading him but he could be an option in terms of scenarios of players being thrown into the mix. Ess have a massive hole in defence too, so can't see them letting a defender just walk out either. If he could get his body right again though, damn he'd look pretty good down back for the Dogs (and back in Essendon's defence too).

That’s fine you won’t get him then. In all honesty what’s the point in continuing this Dunkley chat if you honestly believe there’s no way you give up a first and a second? You were quoted 2 firsts last year for a contracted player and he’s still contracted and has played better. It only ever ends up with Essendon fans saying they want him but don’t want to pay the price for him which is your prerogative. We’re not going to just give him to you. Round and round for 6 months and no one on either side of the argument has anything new to add.

I didn't say he isn't worth a first round + a second round. I think you need to be far more specific on what you actually are talking about anyway. There is a far difference between a first in the teens, and a first in the top 10.

I said I don't think he's worth that too us anymore.

Last year we had a serious Inside Mid hole hence we targeted Dunkley, Since then Darcy Parish has grown into a gun inside Mid, if that trend continues why would we pay stupid Overs for Dunkley whilst he's contracted? Your cap is going to come under pressure soon enough so why not wait?

You might get your asking price from someone else, I'm just saying the bombers don't need to do it anymore.

Last edited:

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
That’s fine you won’t get him then. In all honesty what’s the point in continuing this Dunkley chat if you honestly believe there’s no way you give up a first and a second? You were quoted 2 firsts last year for a contracted player and he’s still contracted and has played better. It only ever ends up with Essendon fans saying they want him but don’t want to pay the price for him which is your prerogative. We’re not going to just give him to you. Round and round for 6 months and no one on either side of the argument has anything new to add.
Just healthy speculation mate, we're allowed to talk about it, aren't we? Just fans speculating and talking about scenarios we think could/couldn't happen. At the end of the day, we're talking about it because it's being spoken about and he was obviously disgruntled enough last year to want out so it's not like it's being spoken about with nothing behind it. Sounds like you're a Dogs supporter who doesn't want to lose him, which is fair and fine. Ess are in the same boat with a player like Merrett, I'm sure if you look at his sub-forum it's exactly the same with Ess supporters. But, knocking on us folks talking about and not coming up with logical trade options is a bit rich when there is definitely some suitable options being thrown around.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I didn't say he isn't worth a first round + a second round.

I said I don't think he's worth that too us anymore.

Last year we had a serious Inside Mid hole hence we targeted Dunkley, Since then Darcy Parish has grown into a gun inside Mid, if that trend continues why would we pay stupid Overs for Dunkley?

You might get your asking price from someone else, I'm just saying the bombers don't need to do it.
In the same post you’ve said “I didn’t say he wasn’t worth a first round + a second” and followed with suggesting it’s “stupid overs”. So which is it seeing as you’re asking people what his worth is?

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
What makes you think that? A 30 year old Ablett suddenly not being the best player in the AFL anymore after popping it?

Oliver Wines and Clayton Oliver both had full shoulder reconstructions and they're in career best form. A shoulder reconstruction doesn't represent anywhere near as big of a long term risk as you think.
Wines for a while looked like he wasn't going to go back to his early career form due to his shoulder.
I don't believe it will impact his career but it's bad list management to be paying overs.

He is out of contract next year so it's better to see how he returns from the injury. This is the second year he misses a significant portion of the season. I don't see anyone paying two firsts.

In the same post you’ve said “I didn’t say he wasn’t worth a first round + a second” and followed with suggesting it’s “stupid overs”. So which is it seeing as you’re asking people what his worth is?

A top 6 Pick + A 2nd Rounder for Dunkley is overs for us IMO, given what Parish is doing. We don't need to pay it, so we shouldn't.

Now if that First was a later First, say after the Top 10, then id say go for it.

You need to be far more specific with what you are calling a first round pick. There is an incredible difference between say Top 6 pick, and a pick in the teens, which is still counted as a first.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just healthy speculation mate, we're allowed to talk about it, aren't we? Just fans speculating and talking about scenarios we think could/couldn't happen. At the end of the day, we're talking about it because it's being spoken about and he was obviously disgruntled enough last year to want out so it's not like it's being spoken about with nothing behind it. Sounds like you're a Dogs supporter who doesn't want to lose him, which is fair and fine. Ess are in the same boat with a player like Merrett, I'm sure if you look at his sub-forum it's exactly the same with Ess supporters. But, knocking on us folks talking about and not coming up with logical trade options is a bit rich when there is definitely some suitable options being thrown around.
Of course but haven’t you already been
told the price quite clearly? No doubt it could be negotiated down a bit but 2 good firsts was the baseline. Everyone knows it whether you agree with it or not.
I was actually fine with losing him and if he still wants to go despite the year we’re having I’d still trade him. But none of that precludes the fact he’s still contracted and Sam Powers value of him is really all that matters.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Of course but haven’t you already been
told the price quite clearly? No doubt it could be negotiated down a bit but 2 good firsts was the baseline. Everyone knows it whether you agree with it or not.
I was actually fine with losing him and if he still wants to go despite the year we’re having I’d still trade him. But none of that precludes the fact he’s still contracted and Sam Powers value of him is really all that matters.
Haven't been told the price for 2021, that is if it is on the cards again come the trade period this year have we? Especially now with his shoulder taking him out until later in the year. So, the question around price/scenarios has possibly changed a little and that's what people are debating here too. No one in their right mind right now would trade two high-end firsts. The only way the Dogs get two high-end firsts is if he didn't get injured + remained playing + played as good as he was playing for 22 games. He was arguably top five in the comp. But, his value has changed and that's what we're throwing around.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A top 6 Pick + A 2nd Rounder for Dunkley is overs for us IMO, given what Parish is doing. We don't need to pay it, so we shouldn't.

Now if that First was a later First, say after the Top 10, then id say go for it.

You need to be far more specific with what you are calling a first round pick. There is an incredible difference between say Top 6 pick, and a pick in the teens, which is still counted as a first.
😂of course you would go for it at that price but that’s not the price. Again it’s the same argument over and over in that Essendon fans want him but only if it’s unders. He’s contracted so that isn’t going to happen and round and round the argument goes again. It’s bizarre why Essendon fans want to keep talking about this trade when you know the price and don’t want to pay anywhere near it. To be honest I wouldn’t pay it either if I was Essendon as I agree you have other issues and the draft is probably better for your club.

😂of course you would go for it at that price but that’s not the price. Again it’s the same argument over and over in that Essendon fans want him but only if it’s unders. He’s contracted so that isn’t going to happen and round and round the argument goes again. It’s bizarre why Essendon fans want to keep taking about this trade when you know the price and don’t want to pay anywhere near it. To be honest I wouldn’t pay it either if I was Essendon as I agree you have other issues and the draft is probably better for your club.

So then it wont happen? Its really not that big of a deal....you understand that the deal isn't done on big footy? Its not like i'm Adrian Dodoro rofl.

Things have changed since last year. I just think he isn't worth as much too us as he was last year. Maybe another club will swoop in and pay you want your club wants.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
So then it wont happen? Its really not that big of a deal....you understand that the deal isn't done on big footy? Its not like i'm Adrian Dodoro rofl.

Things have changed since last year. I just think he isn't worth as much too us as he was last year. Maybe another club will swoop in and pay you want your club wants.
*cough cough* Carlton, the kings of paying overs + overestimating their list. Would hate to see him playing for Carlton though. Wouldn't be surprised if Geelong are taking a good look. North 100% would be too, but can't see him going there on the notion they're close to winning a flag in his time.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
No idea, but see above. I was fine trading him last year and I’m fine trading him this year if he still wants to leave. He’s still contracted though which is integral to his value.

Yes. But. What player has asked to be traded twice under contract and refused a trade, twice?

Once yes, twice I can’t think of.

If he was to ask to get traded yet again, I’m sure the bulldogs would get it done, even if it’s for less than those people swinging their dicks around here talking tough would like.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
You paid two firsts for Shiel, who was an objectively worse and less valuable player.

Some clubs spend their first rounder on guys with two ACL injuries in a row leading into the draft, like Selwood in 2006.

A shoulder reconstruction won't affect Dunkley's value, especially if he comes back and plays well.

I do love when random accounts pop up posting aggressively. Who’s alt account are you I wonder?

Back