Strategy Josh Dunkley- Deal or no Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am still struggling to come to grips with why he would want out from the club that drafted him and presented him with a premiership in his first season. Not sure who I will boo louder if he gets to the bombers Stringer or Dunkley. Probably Dunkley because he walked for dollars.

Deal.

Western Bulldogs receive: Pick 4 and 2021 1st round pick
Western Bulldogs lose: Josh Dunkley, Pick 14 and our 2021 2nd round pick.

Essendon receive: Josh Dunkley and 2021 2nd round pick (WB)
Essendon lose: Pick 6 and 2021 1st round pick

Hawthorn receive: Pick 6 and Pick 14 (WB)
Hawthorn lose: Pick 4

I would then on-trade OUR 2021 1st (not Essendons) as I believe we may finish higher than the Dons in 2021, to Collingwood to bring in Adam Treloar (they will need this for points for Daicos). I would hope to jeebus that Jamarra doesn't get bid on before pick 4 and then I'd fill a need with pick 4 whilst also bringing in Jamarra.

I am still struggling to come to grips with why he would want out from the club that drafted him and presented him with a premiership in his first season. Not sure who I will boo louder if he gets to the bombers Stringer or Dunkley. Probably Dunkley because he walked for dollars.

Poor name to post ratio tonight mate. Keep your chin up! He’s a young bloke, who’s already won a premiership offered over $1 million more than he’s likely to ever get with us. He gets to be big banana in a poor midfield and can build something in club that is crying out for leadership. I just can’t blame him - AFL spits these players around as commodities nowadays and sometimes the offer is too good to refuse. I don’t think dodo will come to the party with enough, will try to do a deal at the very last minute and no one will be satisfied. I’m sure we are shopping 2-3 first round picks at clubs with players we need to see what we can make if this to benefit ourselves. Interesting times

Deal.

Western Bulldogs receive: Pick 4 and 2021 1st round pick
Western Bulldogs lose: Josh Dunkley, Pick 14 and our 2021 2nd round pick.

Essendon receive: Josh Dunkley and 2021 2nd round pick (WB)
Essendon lose: Pick 6 and 2021 1st round pick

Hawthorn receive: Pick 6 and Pick 14 (WB)
Hawthorn lose: Pick 4

I would then on-trade OUR 2021 1st (not Essendons) as I believe we may finish higher than the Dons in 2021, to Collingwood to bring in Adam Treloar (they will need this for points for Daicos). I would hope to jeebus that Jamarra doesn't get bid on before pick 4 and then I'd fill a need with pick 4 whilst also bringing in Jamarra.

Jamarra ain’t making it to pick 4 unfortunately 😔

I am so sick of seeing our premiership players at other clubs. I am really disappointed and sad. Still...

He isn’t going to a team that will be challenging.
We have a plethora of quality mids, some who are getting starved for opportunities.
We pillage and set Essington back even further in ever being a competitor.
Dunks is contracted so the club holds the aces, Essington, cannot afford to be seen to out a player and then leave him dangling,they will have to do a deal that suits us.

Is Dunkley in contract right now ??

If so, your List Management team should be telling Dodo that it's two first rounders for Dunkley or he stays. Dodo is going to try and walk rough shod over you as he has been with the other clubs so * him, put the same sort of pricing structure on your player as he has been putting on his.

Hope like hell Dunkley stays with you though.

I don't blame Dunkley for wanting out to be honest. He's too good to be wasted playing as anything but an inside mid. For whatever reason we haven't given him the midfield minutes he needs to flourish as a player and ultimately that was going to devalue him and cost him a significant amount of money over the course of his career. I'm not making any judgement here in regards to how Bevo has used him either. Bevo's responsibility is to use players in a way which benefits the clubs performance first and foremost and he shouldn't be concerned whether or not its the best thing for their career. There are no bad guys here as far as I can see. We can argue all day about who is at fault but the fact is that we have had a very imbalanced list for a long time and this is the inevitable consequence of that. Now we need to find a way to turn this into a win for our club and the first step in doing so is to take a hard-line stance that we aren't trading him and put the pressure on Dodoro to come up with a Godfather offer.

Now, back on topic:

I really don't see how we can turn Dunkley into players who will improve our list for next year. Getting someone like Treloar or Merret doesn't address the problem which landed us here in the first place and would just be breaking even until next trade period in which another midfielder will want out.

So I think we need to hold Dunkley for another year and see what's available then. It gives us a year to identify a target and try to shake someone loose. Dunkley has the option of sitting out or half-arsing it for a year and blowing his chance at a big contract or sucking it up and playing to the best of his ability, with the knowledge that we will try to get a trade done for him at the end of next season. This option has the added benefit of us getting to watch the Bombers meltdowns.

If so, your List Management team should be telling Dodo that it's two first rounders for Dunkley or he stays. Dodo is going to try and walk rough shod over you as he has been with the other clubs so fu** him, put the same sort of pricing structure on your player as he has been putting on his.

He's got 2 years to go. As Pickering said we have the absolute power in this scenario.

Personally sell now and sell extremely high.

Personally I'd start with an offer of Essendon 2021 1st, Carlton 2021 1st and Parish.

Eventually settling on both future firsts and Patrick Ambrose.

I think everyone can see the logic in trading Dunkley for the right price, However this just feels to be a line in the sand moment where we simply must stand firm and hold him to the contract.
We need to make a statement that we will not be pillaged by the bigger clubs.

I’m pretty shocked tbh, but understand the attraction to much more money. I see him as a quality player but not worth what he’ll get at Essendon.

I’d strongly prefer not to trade him unless the offer was ridiculous. Our premiership window is now + 3 years. He’s a tough, proven premiership quality player.

Something about this whole situation seems off. Bevo‘s coaches pet requests a trade. He wouldn’t be a coaches pet if he was disgruntled all the time with what the coach asked of him. So either Pickering is using Essendon this year to jack up his next contract negotiation at the Dogs, SP has some big fish to land that may come as a surprise or there has been a truly catastrophic breakdown of relationships. I’m going with Pickering bluff. Best way to inflate contracts is have clubs play off each other

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't blame Dunkley for wanting out to be honest. He's too good to be wasted playing as anything but an inside mid. For whatever reason we haven't given him the midfield minutes he needs to flourish as a player and ultimately that was going to devalue him and cost him a significant amount of money over the course of his career. I'm not making any judgement here in regards to how Bevo has used him either. Bevo's responsibility is to use players in a way which benefits the clubs performance first and foremost and he shouldn't be concerned whether or not its the best thing for their career. There are no bad guys here as far as I can see. We can argue all day about who is at fault but the fact is that we have had a very imbalanced list for a long time and this is the inevitable consequence of that. Now we need to find a way to turn this into a win for our club and the first step in doing so is to take a hard-line stance that we aren't trading him and put the pressure on Dodoro to come up with a Godfather offer.

Now, back on topic:

I really don't see how we can turn Dunkley into players who will improve our list for next year. Getting someone like Treloar or Merret doesn't address the problem which landed us here in the first place and would just be breaking even until next trade period in which another midfielder will want out.

So I think we need to hold Dunkley for another year and see what's available then. It gives us a year to identify a target and try to shake someone loose. Dunkley has the option of sitting out or half-arsing it for a year and blowing his chance at a big contract or sucking it up and playing to the best of his ability, with the knowledge that we will try to get a trade done for him at the end of next season. This option has the added benefit of us getting to watch the Bombers meltdowns.

Great post old mate, for a daft pisstaker you do come with some decent takes. Hope fatherhood is going well.

Dunkley needs to suck it up. Very few midfielders in the comp only play midfield. He needs to learn to share the load and be more versatile. Keep him, and maybe play him the reserves for a couple of games then ask him if playing less midfield minutes in the seniors is that bad.

Also, let him sit there and watch Essendon get flogged every week and win the spoon, and then ask him if the money is worth it.

I just cannot fathom how Dunks would want to play for f$cking essendrugs.
hold him for a year and make it known that we’ll trade him next year or the year after to bring in more suitors. Essendon will have to move on if they have to wait for his contract to run out...

Pardon for the intrusion but i hope the dogs hold their ground with Dunkley.Lets see how they go when the shoes on the other foot.

Just tell dodoro GFY!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hurry up and trade Adam Saad so we can have the pick and i can finally start to smell the sweet aroma of what you're cooking. ;)

If so, your List Management team should be telling Dodo that it's two first rounders for Dunkley or he stays. Dodo is going to try and walk rough shod over you as he has been with the other clubs so fu** him, put the same sort of pricing structure on your player as he has been putting on his.

Well said.

I’d highly doubt our 2021 first is on the table. Possibly Carltons we get for Saad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You people have to stop saying what's not on the tabble, if you came to pickers with a large money contract for his client that's two more years contract, the dogs will say these are the 2 to 3 options take one or no deal. They will all be overs of course, as the Bombers would be if it was Merret in same situation of contracted 2 years.

Gotta admit the Bombers have done pretty well to identify Dunks and get him to commit. Right type, good age etc.
They had the money from one of their chosen sons leaving and are just dangling it out there. Our middle child earnt as much in 3 years as i did in 30, it has set her up for life. Who can begrudge Dunks for wanting his future assured? He is only an injury away from finishing his career. On that matter, I watched him closely in 18 & 19 after the liam picken situation and Dunkley has had a number of head knocks. Friendly fire from Dale if i remember correctly and a number from opposition hits to his head, he is a bull but needs to look after himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back