Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

If all bridges are not yet burned between the Dunkley family and Sydney, there's always that chance too. I could not think of a more perfect Josh Kennedy replacement, they're a team presumably on the rise with some exciting youth, and will have bulk cap space once the Franklin contract ends
They're a very close family, almost weirdly close - Josh lives with his brother and sister. If he leaves it's to another Victorian club.

They're a very close family, almost weirdly close - Josh lives with his brother and sister. If he leaves it's to another Victorian club.

Sydney might offer to recruit both Josh & the sister to get the deal over the line then.

Bevo basically saying that Dunkley needs to earn his mid spot whilst Treloar has it sewn up already a bloke who's only been at the club for 5 mins.

I can see that pissing off Dunkley wouldn't shock me if he asks for a trade to Essendon again
That’s not really what he said though is it? Especially the Treloar stuff.
In saying that I do think Dunkley is gone at the end of the season. Just got hope he keeps his value.

Bevo basically saying that Dunkley needs to earn his mid spot whilst Treloar has it sewn up already a bloke who's only been at the club for 5 mins.

I can see that pissing off Dunkley wouldn't shock me if he asks for a trade to Essendon again
Yeah not really a wise move by Bevo, though he didn't really phrase it like that. I think it was strange for him to single out Dunkley's performance in a scratch match when plenty of players like Smith and Bont were poor. Even if the media ask questions, a diplomatic, boring and cliche response is the easiest route.

He'll probably request a trade, but it could be to a Carlton if Cripps leaves or Melbourne if Oliver leaves. Most likely to Essendon again, but I don't think Bulldogs and Essendon will see eye-to-eye on his value.

Yeah not really a wise move by Bevo, though he didn't really phrase it like that. I think it was strange for him to single out Dunkley's performance in a scratch match when plenty of players like Smith and Bont were poor. Even if the media ask questions, a diplomatic, boring and cliche response is the easiest route.

He'll probably request a trade, but it could be to a Carlton if Cripps leaves or Melbourne if Oliver leaves. Most likely to Essendon again, but I don't think Bulldogs and Essendon will see eye-to-eye on his value.
Great post. I think there’s clearly still an issue certainly on Bevos side.

Great post. I think there’s clearly still an issue certainly on Bevos side.
Yeah he probably felt a little betrayed given his close relationship to Dunkley, but as a coach, you just can't take these things to heart. Relationship might improve once the season begins and they start winning together.
That’s not really what he said though is it? Especially the Treloar stuff.
In saying that I do think Dunkley is gone at the end of the season. Just got hope he keeps his value.
Beveridge needs to wisen up and stop going on his emotions for Dunkley to keep his value. We all know Dunkley will do well in the midfield if he is given the time and opportunity. He'll probably play him outside of the midfield and then drop him on poor performance to diminish his trade value.

Someone needs to teach him a thing or two about optics.

He got asked the Question and Bevo answered it truthfully about Dunkley’s performance i didn’t see a problem with it
You don't see a problem with that, but it doesn't matter how you see it. How does Dunkley feel about it when he is trying to move on?

A diplomatic response keeps the peace. Dunkley probably already feels a bit awkward, so publicly statements that single his form out and puts his spot in question rather than say Macrae, Libba, Bont, Smith etc isn't exactly helping. The media will run with it and Andrew Dunkley might have a thing or two to tell Josh.

The media will pry. The wise coach gives them nothing to keep it all behind closed doors. Bevo of course doesn't do that and gives the media exactly what they want.

You don't see a problem with that, but it doesn't matter how you see it. How does Dunkley feel about it when he is trying to move on?

A diplomatic response keeps the peace. Dunkley probably already feels a bit awkward, so publicly statements that single his form out and puts his spot in question rather than say Macrae, Libba, Bont, Smith etc isn't exactly helping. The media will run with it and Andrew Dunkley might have a thing or two to tell Josh.

The media will pry. The wise coach gives them nothing to keep it all behind closed doors. Bevo of course doesn't do that and gives the media exactly what they want.
They didn’t ask bevo Question’s about Macrae Libba, Bont , Smith they asked about Dunkley and our coach answered truthfully that Dunkley’s form was crap. Dunkley is also a big boy he can either win his midfield position or he can sook it up and asked for a trade again at the end of this year

They didn’t ask bevo Question’s about Macrae Libba, Bont , Smith they asked about Dunkley and our coach answered truthfully that Dunkley’s form was crap
He def could have been better about how he said it. It was pretty crass in all honesty. His media stuff has never been great though I guess.

He kinda threw dunks under the bus and it was probably a little bit of vengeance there for Dunks throwing the club under the bus last year but the coach cannot be this childish. It’s not good enough.

They didn’t ask bevo Question’s about Macrae Libba, Bont , Smith they asked about Dunkley and our coach answered truthfully that Dunkley’s form was crap. Dunkley is also a big boy he can either win his midfield position or he can sook it up and asked for a trade again at the end of this year
Dunkley for example was asked about it today and he spoke about his form and the rest of the team, which to me shows that he is aware of his comments. I'll stop short of saying it was a direct response to Bevo's comments.

It was one meaningless preseason scratch match and Bevo goes out of his way to mention that his spot is in jeopardy and that he's not in great form. If he was asked about Bont or Smith (both didn't play well), he would have said some generic answer like "yeah we're building towards the season and though it's disappointing we lost, we'll work on it for the game against Melbourne." Could have said something like that.

Dunkley for example was asked about it today and he spoke about his form and the rest of the team, which to me shows that he is aware of his comments. I'll stop short of saying it was a direct response to Bevo's comments.

It was one meaningless preseason scratch match and Bevo goes out of his way to mention that his spot is in jeopardy and that he's not in great form. If he was asked about Bont or Smith who both didn't play well, he would have said some generic answer like "yeah we're building towards the season and though it's disappointing we lost, we'll work on it for the game against Melbourne."
Bevo is a emotional man

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bevo is a emotional man
Which is my point. He is, but he needs to keep that in check. It'll be to the detriment of the club if he does anything to diminish Dunkley's trade value.
If Dunkley is ready to win back respect from the club, then he should give him the support and space to do that. Publicly calling him out over a meaningless practice match is not the way.

Bevo has packed Dunkleys bags for him, going to be a long 6 months.

While it seems Dunkleys betrayal blindsighted the club, especially Bevo and Bont - who said "Dunks isnt going anywhere" a week before trade period, Bevo is to largely to blame for basically sacrificing him as a ruckman who was attending more ruck contests than English some games. You just dont do that to AA squad players. Dunkley has set training standards and been a model citizen, he deserves better. Bruce was so s**t as a forward, why did he just stick Bruce there. Bevo today comes out and says "it wasnt just josh, it was macrae and bont too rucking. Dunkley was the second ruck, attending 30+ contests some games while Bont and Macrae were attending 3-4. Bevo has him out the outer and he is crossed off his favourites list.

Bevo has packed Dunkleys bags for him, going to be a long 6 months.

While it seems Dunkleys betrayal blindsighted the club, especially Bevo and Bont - who said "Dunks isnt going anywhere" a week before trade period, Bevo is to largely to blame for basically sacrificing him as a ruckman who was attending more ruck contests than English some games. You just dont do that to AA squad players. Dunkley has set training standards and been a model citizen, he deserves better. Bruce was so sh*t as a forward, why did he just stick Bruce there. Bevo today comes out and says "it wasnt just josh, it was macrae and bont too rucking. Dunkley was the second ruck, attending 30+ contests some games while Bont and Macrae were attending 3-4. Bevo has him out the outer and he is crossed off his favourites list.
Dunkley has never contested 30+ ruck contests in any game. Don't let the truth get in the way of your post.

It was one meaningless preseason scratch match and Bevo goes out of his way to mention that his spot is in jeopardy and that he's not in great form. If he was asked about Bont or Smith (both didn't play well), he would have said some generic answer like "yeah we're building towards the season and though it's disappointing we lost, we'll work on it for the game against Melbourne." Could have said something like that.
Bont and Smith weren't as terrible as Dunkley, although Smith had a quiet first half.

Weirdly Dunkley and Treloar are BFFs so who knows how things play out. Dunkley really needs to play as that in and under player to be at his best but right now Libba is a mile ahead of him and we can replace Dunkley in the rotations.

If by some chance we get to the end of the year, Merrett exercises his FA options and the Bombers get a first round compo pick and it's on the table it seems it would be best for both parties to do that deal.

Bont and Smith weren't as terrible as Dunkley, although Smith had a quiet first half.

Weirdly Dunkley and Treloar are BFFs so who knows how things play out. Dunkley really needs to play as that in and under player to be at his best but right now Libba is a mile ahead of him and we can replace Dunkley in the rotations.

If by some chance we get to the end of the year, Merrett exercises his FA options and the Bombers get a first round compo pick and it's on the table it seems it would be best for both parties to do that deal.
Certainly be the best for the Bulldogs to get a top 5 pick for Dunkley.

Sure as s**t wouldn't be for Essendon.

Certainly be the best for the Bulldogs to get a top 5 pick for Dunkley.

Sure as sh*t wouldn't be for Essendon.
So you get a 24 year old ready made gun inside mid for the next 6-7 years and that's rough for you guys? Draft picks are very overrated, known commodities aren't. Just because Bevo is an idiot and refuses to play him in his correct position, doesn't change his ability as a player.

So you get a 24 year old ready made gun inside mid for the next 6-7 years and that's rough for you guys? Draft picks are very overrated, known commodities aren't. Just because Bevo is an idiot and refuses to play him in his correct position, doesn't change his ability as a player.
We get a 25 year old inside mid who isn't in the top 25 mids in the game.

For a top 5 pick? Hard pass.

We're well apart on that. I'm aware you can only look at what he's producing, but I prefer to look at what he's produced when played 100% in the role he should be.

Top 20 2019 Brownlow medal, top 10 coaches award 2019, AA squad 2019.

That's cool.
I'm sure a few clubs would be interested if he's known as "gettable"

Bont turned it over most of the time and Smith was missing, which is fine because it was a meaningless practice match. Not really sure what publicly singling Dunkley out achieves.
Merrett will likely leave if we finish bottom 4. That's a top 5 pick in a strong draft of mids you'd be asking for.

If Dunkley is stuffed around, played out of position and dropped, you'll be lucky to get a first from anyone, let alone Essendon. With Clayton Oliver, Cripps, Bont, Merrett and Josh Kelly available on the market, Dunkley would be lower on the list of players to justify giving up a top 5 pick in a strong draft. May as well go for Oliver who has the runs on the board.

If Dunkley returns to 2019 form, it'll justify the big price. Can he return to that form with Bulldogs' stacked midfield? It's up to Bevo because we know he is capable. I doubt he will, but we will see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back