Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

If Dunkley is stuffed around, played out of position and dropped, you'll be lucky to get a first from anyone, let alone Essendon. With Clayton Oliver, Cripps, Bont, Merrett and Josh Kelly available on the market, Dunkley would be lower on the list of players to justify giving up a top 5 pick in a strong draft. May as well go for Oliver who has the runs on the board.

If Dunkley returns to 2019 form, it'll justify the big price. Can he return to that form with Bulldogs' stacked midfield? It's up to Bevo because we know he is capable. I doubt he will, but we will see.
Merrett aside, do you think Essendon is in contention to get any of those players?
I don't see it - and if you are, will you be prepared to pay the trade cost?

Bont turned it over most of the time and Smith was missing, which is fine because it was a meaningless practice match. Not really sure what publicly singling Dunkley out achieves.
I think you're reading into this a bit much. Essendon supporting journalists are obviously going to ask about the guy who requested a trade to Essendon. It wasn't singling him out as much as it was Bevo answering questions about the guy they wanted to know about specifically. It's not like he went out of his way to say "oh man, you guys see Dunkley the other day? What a spud", although he definitely could have been more tactful

Merrett aside, do you think Essendon is in contention to get any of those players?
I don't think Essendon are a chance for any of them. I'd prefer we used our picks in the draft to build a solid core of young players, but I'd like Dunkley of course for a reasonable price.

Our competitors for Dunkley like Carlton, Hawthorn, St Kilda could be a chance for those players though. Why would they give the world for Dunkley when they can target one of those players, especially if Bev messes around with his position? I don't think any of those teams would give the equivalent of a top 5 pick for Dunkley.

Dunkley would need to return to his 2019 form for Dogs to receive a significant compensation.

We're well apart on that. I'm aware you can only look at what he's producing, but I prefer to look at what he's produced when played 100% in the role he should be.

Top 20 2019 Brownlow medal, top 10 coaches award 2019, AA squad 2019.
I like to ask why isn't he in that role? And the answer is there are much better players in the Bulldogs squad that play in his best position. Our inside midfield brigade is appalling but Dunkley isn't the answer in my opinion.
That's cool.
I'm sure a few clubs would be interested if he's known as "gettable"
Good, get Josh to pick one of them. Save me the head slapping when Dodo hands over a stupidly high pick for him.

I don't think any of them would even remotely consider Essendon.

I'd pay the price required in a heartbeat for any of them though, maybe not Bont, I love watching him play so I wouldn't want to subject him to us.

You offered a first and a second last year so it’s around the mark if you have 2 of those high picks.

Not sure we would, in the case Merrett is going, I could see Essendon taking 2 x Top-5 selections to the draft, then offering our 2022 First for Dunkley in a trade.

If Dunkley is still chasing a trade, it'll likely be because he's being played out of position again, which makes it hard to justify a top-5 selection outright for him.

Last edited:
I like to ask why isn't he in that role? And the answer is there are much better players in the Bulldogs squad that play in his best position. Our inside midfield brigade is appalling but Dunkley isn't the answer in my opinion.
Simply not true, Dunkley is a victim of being able to be a little flexible whether it's forward or stints in the ruck. He's a big body with ability to compete and take a mark in the forward line. Libba & Macrae most notably are quite horrible forwards, which is why they aren't typically played there at all.

It's a matter of Dunkley (FWD) + Macrae or Libba (MID) > Dunkley (MID) + Macrae or Libba (FWD).

I think you're reading into this a bit much. Essendon supporting journalists are obviously going to ask about the guy who requested a trade to Essendon. It wasn't singling him out as much as it was Bevo answering questions about the guy they wanted to know about specifically. It's not like he went out of his way to say "oh man, you guys see Dunkley the other day? What a spud", although he definitely could have been more tactful
Yes it's just a passing comment and I doubt Dunkley reads anything into it, but Bev should have seen the shitstorm coming. Media training is a thing for a reason. Give a diplomatic response to the question and move on.

Last I checked, Dunkley had a great preseason.
I didn't realise he was down in form because no one pays attention to preseason form, but all of Bev and Dunkley confirmed yesterday he wasn't in good form. And all over a scratch match? Can you not see why that is unnecessary? Bont took the more diplomatic approach yesterday, which is what Bev could have done.

Last edited:
Simply not true, Dunkley is a victim of being able to be a little flexible whether it's forward or stints in the ruck. He's a big body with ability to compete and take a mark in the forward line. Libba & Macrae most notably are quite horrible forwards, which is why they aren't typically played there at all.

It's a matter of Dunkley (FWD) + Macrae or Libba (MID) > Dunkley (MID) + Macrae or Libba (FWD).
That would be a perfect response as to why Dunkley isn't playing as a mid. I agree with that because he can be just as effective on the inside as the others. He is better and more versatile than the others outside of the midfield...

Except Bev said that Dunkley's position as a mid is up for grabs, essentially implying that the best players will be chosen for that role.
That's why you don't tell the media everything you think. If Dunkley doesn't play as an inside mid, no one is going to say "it's because he is the most versatile." Everyone will say "Treloar, Libba, Smith, Macrae and Bont are better players."

So Dunkley is a better inside mid than Macrae or Libba in your eyes?

Not sure we would, in the case Merrett is going, I could see Essendon takeing 2 x Top-5 selections to the draft, then offer our 2022 First for Dunkley in a trade.

If Dunkley is still chasing a trade, it'll likely be because he's being played out of position again, which makes it hard to justify a top-5 selection outright for him.
I think this is the crux of it. It sounds like Essendon fans want him but only if he’s given away on the relative cheap. That’s fair enough to want that but he’s contracted so unless both sides are fair dinkum I hope we just move on from it very early.
If essendon’s prerogative is to rule out either of their first round picks, assuming Merrett compo, then it should be put to bed very early with both clubs and Dunkley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be a perfect response as to why Dunkley isn't playing as a mid. I agree with that because he can be just as effective on the inside as the others. He is better and more versatile than the others outside of the midfield...

Except Bev said that Dunkley's position as a mid is up for grabs, essentially implying that the best players will be chosen for that role.
That's why you don't tell the media everything you think. If Dunkley doesn't play as an inside mid, no one is going to say "it's because he is the most versatile." Everyone will say "Treloar, Libba, Smith, Macrae and Bont are better players."
Bevo said all the midfielders positions are up for grabs. Not just Dunkley.

I think this is the crux of it. It sounds like Essendon fans want him but only if he’s given away on the relative cheap. That’s fair enough to want that but he’s contracted so unless both sides are fair dinkum I hope we just move on from it very early.
If essendon’s prerogative is to rule out either of their first round picks, assuming Merrett compo, then it should be put to bed very early with both clubs and Dunkley.

If the Dogs aren't playing him in the middle, then it's hard to argue he should be valued as though he's a top tier midfielder. Especially in a draft that's regarded as being strong for midfielders at the top end.

Also, if a player asks for a trade two years running, it seems pretty unlikely they'll be held to their contract again, especially if they're being used out of position. A mid first would be reasonable in that case, higher if he plays as a genuine onballer and replicates his 2019 form.

If he's not playing in the middle, and they can facilitate a trade that nets them a genuine CHB, then it would seem like a win-win situation to me?

Bevo said all the midfielders positions are up for grabs. Not just Dunkley.
Yes he did, but I don't think it's the wisest thing to say, especially when you're talking about Dunkley's form.

It's hard to sell your discard mid for top price. Like the other poster suggested, saying Dunkley is more versatile is a reasonable argument and makes him more valuable. Keep it at that and let the media guess the rest. Unfortunately for him, we'll know why Dunkley isn't playing midfield if others are chosen ahead of him.

If the Dogs aren't playing him in the middle, then it's hard to argue he should be valued as though he's a top tier midfielder. Especially in a draft that's regarded as being strong for midfielders at the top end.

Also, if a player asks for a trade two years running, it seems pretty unlikely they'll be held to their contract again, especially if they're being used out of position. A mid first would be reasonable in that case, higher if he plays as a genuine onballer and replicates his 2019 form.

If he's not playing in the middle, and they can facilitate a trade that nets them a genuine CHB, then it would seem like a win-win situation to me?
I agree if he still wants out we will make it happen this year. In your scenario Essendon get to keep two hypothetical high first round draft picks and get Dunkley. No wonder you think it’s a win.
The hypothetical of turning Dunkley into a CHB is fine on paper. I’m not sure where this mid first you’re offering is coming from and what we could get for it in terms of a CHB.
I also agree it will be our own fault if we tank his value and all we can get is a mid first rounder.

I look forward to Dodoro bending Footscray over (like he did with Stringer) and getting Dunkley for a packet of chips at the end of the season.

Josh at his best is Kennedy like in the middle. Powerful, kicks goals, makes body contact, is a bull.
Josh at his most mediocre tops out as more of a poor mans David Mundy (age 35 version...) slow, lumbering, handball heavy, happy to let them kick it cos it’s going nowhere dangerous.

It’s whether he can stay closer to his JK version of himself and will he be allowed enough minutes to do so.

As a pure inside mid, I'd say Dunkley is our best. He's better than Libba and probably not as good as Macrae overall as a player. Macrae has him covered on the outside though.
Fair enough. I disagree but to each their own.

I agree if he still wants out we will make it happen this year. In your scenario Essendon get to keep two hypothetical high first round draft picks and get Dunkley. No wonder you think it’s a win.
The hypothetical of turning Dunkley into a CHB is fine on paper. I’m not sure where this mid first you’re offering is coming from and what we could get for it in terms of a CHB.
I also agree it will be our own fault if we tank his value and all we can get is a mid first rounder.

We'd be trading a 2022 First, which (I imagine) would be a similar-ish selection to our 2021 First.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back