Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

The exact player the Suns should be chasing with pick 5 and extras.
Isn't he very similar to the playstyle of Swallow, Miller, Greenwood? Although I really don't rate merrett, surely you go for a more offensive mid of his type.

He is twice the player Merrett is. If this is what Merrett commands, so should Dunkley at the very least.

I have no idea what Merrett would get.

All i know is that Essendon rejected pick 3 (2020) and pick 9 (2019) for Daniher. And due to Dunkley's age, contract status and durability then in my opinion he should be worth just as much.

When Dodoro overrates his players as much as he does, pretty simple to use his precedent against him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't he very similar to the playstyle of Swallow, Miller, Greenwood? Although I really don't rate merrett, surely you go for a more offensive mid of his type.
Merrett an offensive mid? 😂

Hypothetical Trade

Western Bulldogs Receive: Zach Merrett, Michael Hurley and Pick 41.

Essendon Receive: Josh Dunkley and Josh Schache.

Hypothetical Trade

Provided all those players were agreeable its not the worst I've seen.

Hypothetical Trade

I think that's the type of trade both clubs supporters would be disappointed in which shows it's probably close to the mark.

Schache would be a good pick up for you guys. He's soft but incredibly skilled for a big man, and always kicks a goal or two. He's behind Naughton, Bruce and probably Ugle-Hagan for us now so he'd be available.

Hypothetical Trade

Lol - mate Josh Schache would be lucky to get a run in a pub team and you want to trade two all australians. Common man

Hypothetical Trade

I can't believe it, but that's actually not too bad...

Assuming the participants are willing, solves some problems for both clubs on multiple levels. Why can't you join us in the Saad thread (AKA loony bin)?

The Swans would have been kicking themselves not taking Dunks as a father son in 2015 (pick 28).
He would be the heir apparent to Joey Kennedy in the midfield.
He didn't want to come to Sydney. Wanted to stay in Victoria and his dad has been bitter with the club for years because we didn't give him a job. Pretty sure we had an agreement with him that we'd only take him if a non-Victorian side tried to draft him.

‘Market rate’ is probably 1st + 2nd or 2x1st with something coming back. Plenty of precedent exists with Treloar, Shiel, Neale, Prestia etc. But that’s if he were out of contract and/or we were willing move him for cap room or some other reason.

Given his age, ability, standing within the club, contract status, and the current position of our list I would be astounded (and incredibly disappointed) if we allowed him to leave for draft picks

Would love Dunkley, but just can't see a deal getting done (if he'd actually want to come across). Media is just after clicks, they know very little (Just look at the "confirmed" contract numbers they throw around).

Excluding Merrett, I can't see the Dogs wanting any of our players (McGrath/Draper/Ridley wouldn't be traded). Definitely don't want to lose Merrett.
Picks don't do a hell of alot for the Dogs, I guess you could always ontrade them though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back