Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

Significant

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
really not interested in this circular argument that I have specially said numerous times in my posts......

The dogs were MORE than entitled ask for a stupid price for Dunkley, just like Essendon are MORE than entitled to walk away at said stupid price.

This is the problem you don't seem to get, Essendon didn't fail anything, they would have told Dunkley what their limit was in trying to get him, that limit was clearly reached and both parties walked away pretty happy imo. You don't have to get deals done based on just principle. If the price is too much than walk away.
The opposite to this has been reported

The opposite to this has been reported

Dogs kept their player and Essendon go to draft with 3 top 10 picks? Unsure who you think is upset?, I have seen no reports of anyone being upset about it?

Dunkley might have had the shits when it fell through but even he admitted he knew there was a chance the trade might not happen so it is what it is? Like I said Essendon would have told him what they were willing to give up to get him, prior to him nominating us. I very much doubt Dunkley would have known Dogs would have put that kind of price on his head.

I don't even think Essendon & Dogs even started taking about a trade until Dunkley nominated. I think up until that point the dogs were telling us to get lost completely.

Last edited:
Treloar could have been Harry McKay and Jarrod Berry/Jy Simpkin and 800k spare for a free agent. The value in high cost trades just isn’t there.

Sure, but he could also just as easily have been Matthew Kennedy and Daniel Venables. And we've seen what Collingwood do with free agent money (Chris Mayne, Daniel Wells, Dayne Beams). The value in high cost trades IS there, for the right players ie. Lachie Neale.

I reckon you are probably pretty spot on, dogs would have told us to GAGF until Dunkley made the request to leave.

Once that happened dogs probably told us what they wanted which was ridiculous enough that it was never really going to happen.

At the end of the day I blame JUH - if it wasn't for him Dunkley would be ours!!!

I know this is a little tongue in cheek but regardless of JUH, I highly doubt we'd have accepted 7 and a future 2nd for a 2-year contracted Dunkley.

I'd have been ropeable if we did.

It's a bit of a diversion from the topic at hand, but I am really bemused that I keep reading this statement.

This years draft is commonly considered to be throwing darts blindfold, because the players have not had the chance to show their stuff in their draft year - a year when many of the best blossom and stand out from the pack as physical maturity and player development kick in.

In light of that, how on earth do we so confidently predict that kids another year younger are going to be a super draft?

The other thing he keeps insisting on posting is the 2 x top 10 picks bullshit. No one has said that. The Dogs said 2 GOOD FIRSTS. That's all. Stop saying things that simply aren't true.

I very much doubt Dunkley would have known Dogs would have put that kind of price on his head.

I call further bullshit.

The other thing he keeps insisting on posting is the 2 x top 10 picks bullshit. No one has said that. The Dogs said 2 GOOD FIRSTS. That's all. Stop saying things that simply aren't true.
Dodoro said when interviewed that the Dogs asked for pick 8 and our future 1st.

You could argue that Essendon's future first wouldn't be a top 10 pick, but I doubt many would agree.

Dodoro said when interviewed that the Dogs asked for pick 8 and our future 1st.

You could argue that Essendon's future first wouldn't be a top 10 pick, but I doubt many would agree.
And I'm sure that probably would have been our opening to negotiate, like how Dodo started with pick 8 only.

I call further bullshit.

You honestly think Dunkley would have known the dogs would ask for 2 x Top 10 picks for him? Name me one other player in the game that has gone for that price who hasn't even won a single AA.

I seriously doubt that.

Also I'm not sure why you keep thinking the dogs didn't ask for 2 top 10 picks? Dodoro said they wanted Pick 8 and our future first, which will be a top 10 pick. Surely you can let this go now....Unless you think dodo has reason to lie?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Sure, but he could also just as easily have been Matthew Kennedy and Daniel Venables. And we've seen what Collingwood do with free agent money (Chris Mayne, Daniel Wells, Dayne Beams). The value in high cost trades IS there, for the right players ie. Lachie Neale.

Lachie Neale was a single first rounder. A lot but not close to mortgaging their future after they had taken six players inside the first round in the last three years.

You honestly think Dunkley would have known the dogs would ask for 2 x Top 10 picks for him? Name me one other player in the game that has gone for that price who hasn't even won a single AA.

I seriously doubt that.

Also I'm not sure why you keep thinking the dogs didn't ask for 2 top 10 picks? Dodoro said they wanted Pick 8 and our future first, which will be a top 10 pick. Surely you can let this go now....Unless you think dodo has reason to lie?

I think Dodoro has every reason to lie. Makes him look a hell of a lot better that he didn't "give up the farm" for a player the Dons badly need instead of actually trying to acquire him for a "fair price", as people love to say for some reason. And I'm sure they probably did initially ask for those picks. For the same reason Dodo offered pick 8 to start. If he's gonna start with a stupidly low valuation of course we'd say that. Negotiating with Dodo 101.

Had you split pick 8 for Geelongs 15 and 20 (or whatever they were) and offered next years first and 15 (or possibly even 20) then I'd be pretty confident that would have been accepted.

At the end of the day neither of us know what happened with negotiations, but seeing as Dodo's final offer was 7 and 2021 second and that came VERY late, doesn't sound like he tried very hard to negotiate and get the player across the line. ESPECIALLY knowing that the two clubs didn't even communicate about the deal for 2.5 days.

And yes, Dunkley would be stupidly naive to think it wouldn't be a very large price. When was the last time a player requested a trade with 2 years left on his contract? Did he / Pickering talk to Power and Beveridge at all? They'd have been told pretty quick smart if they did.

Lachie Neale was a single first rounder. A lot but not close to mortgaging their future after they had taken six players inside the first round in the last three years.

He also did not have two years left to run on his contract and had the threat of Restricted Free Agency behind him for the move. I'm sure if the circumstances demanded two firsts then that would have been paid. Like I said, for the right players.

I think Dodoro has every reason to lie. Makes him look a hell of a lot better that he didn't "give up the farm" for a player the Dons badly need instead of actually trying to acquire him for a "fair price", as people love to say for some reason. And I'm sure they probably did initially ask for those picks. For the same reason Dodo offered pick 8 to start. If he's gonna start with a stupidly low valuation of course we'd say that. Negotiating with Dodo 101.

Had you split pick 8 for Geelongs 15 and 20 (or whatever they were) and offered next years first and 15 (or possibly even 20) then I'd be pretty confident that would have been accepted.

At the end of the day neither of us know what happened with negotiations, but seeing as Dodo's final offer was 7 and 2021 second and that came VERY late, doesn't sound like he tried very hard to negotiate and get the player across the line. ESPECIALLY knowing that the two clubs didn't even communicate about the deal for 2.5 days.

And yes, Dunkley would be stupidly naive to think it wouldn't be a very large price. When was the last time a player requested a trade with 2 years left on his contract? Did he / Pickering talk to Power and Beveridge at all? They'd have been told pretty quick smart if they did.

He also did not have two years left to run on his contract and had the threat of Restricted Free Agency behind him for the move. I'm sure if the circumstances demanded two firsts then that would have been paid. Like I said, for the right players.

you are a very pessimistic person than rofl. pretty sure if dodo lied than the dogs would correct it..........

there is no way on earth Dunkley would think he would go for the largest price on recorded history for a player that has not won a single AA. If he did he would be even more staggered that he cant get into the midfield.

The only person i can even think of is treloar but even that trade had a 2nd rounder going back.

bizzare

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory

No chance in hell would they have paid two first rounders for him. Much like Dunkley isn't worth the asking price.

Because Dodoro and Guy were pretty confident (rightly or wrongly) that the Dogs would accept the three-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley that Guy spent days putting together while Dodoro was busy with Saad and some other stuff.

When that fell through both the Treloar and Dunkley deals had to be renegotiated independently – one got done, and one didn't.

More chance than at Essendon

probably not actually in regards to brownlow.

way more chance of getting votes with us then he is in the dogs midfield.

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Because Dodoro and Guy were pretty confident (rightly or wrongly) that the Dogs would accept the three-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley that Guy spent days putting together while Dodoro was busy with Saad and some other stuff.

When that fell through both the Treloar and Dunkley deals had to be renegotiated independently – one got done, and one didn't.
Dogs said for days that the deals would be separate.

Dodo didn't listen because he wanted Dunkley cheap which was the basis of a 3 way trade

Really? Players who win the brownlow generally do not form part of a bottom 4 side

Would still get more votes than he would in the dogs midfield which he doesn’t even play in....

I call further bullshit.
I think Dodoro has every reason to lie.
So you get proven wrong, then move to start accusing others of lying. How pathetic.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
If Essendon and Dodoro knew all along the Dogs would not budge on their asking price, why did they try not target some other player on the market who could have helped their team (IE Ben Brown) ?
The Dogs were clear from the get go about the asking price for Dunkley, he has a good draft hand, but I believe Dodoro was a bit negligent on not trying to do other deals to make their team better (even Jason McCartney admitted The Giants were close to letting Caldwell walk to the PSD due to Dodoro's obstience)

Finally, club's will be very reluctant to trade star players to Essendon in future (especially under contract) unless Dodoro starts becoming more flexible and reasonable to deal with.

History will say that Essendon would have had pick 3 this year (either McDonald or Hollands) if he just traded Daniher to the Swans last year.

Ah12

Club Legend
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Josh still truly wants out next trade period the doggies should be accepting a first rounder and some change. 2 firsts is overs and holding a player against his will for anything more than a year i dont see the point. Hell eventually leave the year after and u most likely get less for him
in compo.

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Josh still truly wants out next trade period the doggies should be accepting a first rounder and some change. 2 firsts is overs and holding a player against his will for anything more than a year i dont see the point. Hell eventually leave the year after and u most likely get less for him
in compo.
Club is backing themselves in to retain him .. josh himself has said it feels good that the club really wants him so i wouldn't be saying he is gone yet

Ah12

Club Legend
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Rubbish statement

Dunkley will see plenty of midfield minutes next year. The club has also told him just that
How? Is libba done? Macrae back out to a failed wing? Bont mainly fwd? Would love to see him get big midfield minutes i just dont know how it happens

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
How? Is libba done? Macrae back out to a failed wing? Bont mainly fwd? Would love to see him get big midfield minutes i just dont know how it happens

You pretty much answered your own question - aside from Libba being 'done.'

I would think it would look like this:

C: Macrae, Dunkley, Hunter
FO: Treloar, Libba
HF: Bont
INT: B. Smith

Pretty easy to accommodate IMO, and very f*cking scary to imagine

Back