Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

You honestly think Dunkley would have known the dogs would ask for 2 x Top 10 picks for him? Name me one other player in the game that has gone for that price who hasn't even won a single AA.

I seriously doubt that.

Also I'm not sure why you keep thinking the dogs didn't ask for 2 top 10 picks? Dodoro said they wanted Pick 8 and our future first, which will be a top 10 pick. Surely you can let this go now....Unless you think dodo has reason to lie?
I found this statement hilarious :laughing:

You pretty much answered your own question - aside from Libba being 'done.'

I would think it would look like this:

C: Macrae, Dunkley, Hunter
FO: Treloar, Libba
HF: Bont
INT: B. Smith

Pretty easy to accommodate IMO, and very f*cking scary to imagine
I will 100% say Dunkley will get huge midfield time. not only because what happened with him thinking of leaving, but if he didn't have the ankle injury and miss a large chunk of the start of the year, he wouldn't have been out of the middle, this was more about money and his brother, and being the main guy in the middle was only a fraction of it.

If Josh still truly wants out next trade period the doggies should be accepting a first rounder and some change. 2 firsts is overs and holding a player against his will for anything more than a year i dont see the point. Hell eventually leave the year after and u most likely get less for him
in compo.
He’ll still be contracted next year. His value will be based on how he plays in 2021. If he returns to 2019 form his price will stay the same. If he gets shunted around again his value may drop if we choose to play ball. A very good first in next years draft could be very enticing.

I found this statement hilarious :laughing:

why is it funny?

If dodo lied dont you think sam power would not correct it?

why is it funny?

Nup. No need to play anything out in the media.

Nup. No need to play anything out in the media.
People are claiming that Dodoro is lying in order for them to prove their theories, even though no-one else at Bulldogs disputes what Dodoro has said.
Does anyone find this logic insane?
It's just goes to show how illogical some of the bitterness towards Dodoro is. It's at the stage where people make stuff up about him or his dealings.

Dogs might regret not doing the deal.

The massive stand-off between the clubs is not Treloar's problem – he will receive the full amount owed to him – but it is looming as a significant total player payments issue for the Bulldogs.

really not interested in this circular argument that I have specially said numerous times in my posts......

The dogs were MORE than entitled ask for a stupid price for Dunkley, just like Essendon are MORE than entitled to walk away at said stupid price.

This is the problem you don't seem to get, Essendon didn't fail anything, they would have told Dunkley what their limit was in trying to get him, that limit was clearly reached and both parties walked away pretty happy imo. You don't have to get deals done based on just principle. If the price is too much than walk away.
It might be a circular argument because youre still not getting the point that we were entirely within our rights to ask for what we needed to let him go. You keep going back to what you think hes worth without factoring in the need to prise him from an unwilling seller. In that situation you have to pay overs to get what you want. Essendon got the kid to commit to stating publicly he wanted to join you, then failed to pony up because it was "too much to pay". Well no it wasnt too much. It was the price being asked and not budged from by the seller.

Simply because you think hes worth x there is no obligation for me to sell what I want to keep to you for x. He is still under contract for 2 years because Sam Power did his job well. Busting out of that would require us to be made happy by an offer that was always going to have to be overs. If Dodo thought a fair price would get him he was delusional. Dodo should never have tried to poach Dunks if he wasnt prepared to pay for him. He talked Josh into publicly committing, wasnt prepared to pay the fair price asked and left Josh to mend fences. That sort of behaviour is remembered by players and their agents.

Just like pies will likely have trouble back loading contracts after this years fiasco, bombers will likely have trouble getting players to try to break contracts.

Thats the long view reason why you meet commitments, Dodo chose not to meet his commitmnt to Josh. Bad form.

I personally agree your club is better off going to the draft with such a strong hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might be a circular argument because youre still not getting the point that we were entirely within our rights to ask for what we needed to let him go. You keep going back to what you think hes worth without factoring in the need to prise him from an unwilling seller. In that situation you have to pay overs to get what you want. Essendon got the kid to commit to stating publicly he wanted to join you, then failed to pony up because it was "too much to pay". Well no it wasnt too much. It was the price being asked and not budged from by the seller.

Simply because you think hes worth x there is no obligation for me to sell what I want to keep to you for x. He is still under contract for 2 years because Sam Power did his job well. Busting out of that would require us to be made happy by an offer that was always going to have to be overs. If Dodo thought a fair price would get him he was delusional. Dodo should never have tried to poach Dunks if he wasnt prepared to pay for him. He talked Josh into publicly committing, wasnt prepared to pay the fair price asked and left Josh to mend fences. That sort of behaviour is remembered by players and their agents.

Just like pies will likely have trouble back loading contracts after this years fiasco, bombers will likely have trouble getting players to try to break contracts.

Thats the long view reason why you meet commitments, Dodo chose not to meet his commitmnt to Josh. Bad form.

I personally agree your club is better off going to the draft with such a strong hand.

Are you high?

I Literally said that the dogs were entitled to ask a stupid price for him.

Why quote me if you aren’t even going to read what I type?

No wonder this discussion goes around and around.

Article does say "... as a significant total player payments issue for the Bulldogs.'
Yes, because a hundreds of thousands dollar difference is correct a significant total player payments issue for any club, in this case, the Bulldogs, nobody's denying that.

It doesn't mean we can't afford the contract or if it has anything to do with Dunkley.

Emphasis on had?
Well Treloar in on $600k (if that is indeed the case) and Trengove out who was overpaid on about $450-$500 isn’t much to worry about. Easton Wood will likely be on significantly less since he re-signed as well.
People forget the players we were also going for outside of Keath and Bruce such as Jack Martin.

why is it funny?

If you think because he didn't publicly mention it, that there were no lies your sorely mistaken. And to see anybody say a list manager would never lie is just plain wrong and stupid.
I bet you think politicians don't lie too huh? 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back