Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

Does Dunkley limit Parish’s midfield minutes as well?

Wouldn’t have thought so. Langford should be the one who loses his midfield time. He has been the pseudo big midfielder for us in the last season or two and it isn’t his natural game. Will probably see him move to a permanent wing/forward flank role. Parish has been developing well in the last couple of years but physically hasn’t quite been up to bulk minutes in the midfield. Another pre season should see him take that next step.

That's AMT plus a likely top 5 pick. I wouldn't want Essendon to do this deal, even if it is aboht right. I'd much rather keep next year's pick.
As much as your club and supporters love to win every trade and bend everyone over, it won't happen here

Either pay up or get out. Essendon would likely be given a time limit because we have other things to do and you're likely wasting our time

Are you forgetting the likes of Heppell, McGrath, Parish, Langford, Laverde, Francis and Hurley who were all first round picks? Wouldn’t you consider that attempting to draft and develop a list? That doesn’t even include arguably our two best players in Merrett and Ridley who we drafted with early second rounders, or the players who were first round picks that we acquired at a relatively young age through trade in Smith, Shiel and Stringer. In fact the large majority of our list is made up players we have drafted so not sure who’s missed the point.

Fact is if you can acquire proven talent at a young age through a trade that is guaranteed to improve your list then you’d be negligent in not going down that path.
Acquiring a proven talent under 2 weeks from trade period is a very big if. We would have been looking at very different profile of player up to this point based on our current assets.

I would not be surprised if the deal does not get done.

Seems like the Bulldogs have him contracted for two years on reasonable money so there is no motivation to trade him out. Unless Essendon offer them a monster deal which they don't seem inclined to do.

And Dunkley is going to look bad if he publicly pushes for a trade. It is not like he is moving interstate for family reasons or excited about the culture at a new club. He is still under contract and would obviously just be moving for more money.

Don’t think anyone is comparing the two are they..?
What about Parish?
Parish and Dunkley have both been getting limited midfield/centre bounce minutes - both guns.
If Dunkley can’t get a gig in the dogs midfield I can’t see how Parish would.
Does Dunkley limit Parish’s midfield minutes as well?
No, not much. haha

Merett is a better player than dunkley.
I don’t get why bomber fans would do a swap unless Ofcourse he is clearly leaving.
I'd highly doubt we would

If we don't get Dunkley, keep Merrett and he says he wants out we get a guaranteed top 5 pick in a currently perceived strong draft

We can still trade a high pick from this year to the dogs.

They'd be moving it on for further advantage anyway

Are you forgetting the likes of Heppell, McGrath, Parish, Langford, Laverde, Francis and Hurley who were all first round picks? Wouldn’t you consider that attempting to draft and develop a list? That doesn’t even include arguably our two best players in Merrett and Ridley who we drafted with early second rounders, or the players who were first round picks that we acquired at a relatively young age through trade in Smith, Shiel and Stringer. In fact the large majority of our list is made up players we have drafted so not sure who’s missed the point.

Fact is if you can acquire proven talent at a young age through a trade that is guaranteed to improve your list then you’d be negligent in not going down that path.

Of course you have drafted the majority of your players. Every club has. I’m not forgetting them, but other than Merrett, Ridley and McGrath, that list is made up of players who are either nearing retirement or players who are nothing to write home about. Ie. it is not a list to top up around. Usually teams who are not in the flag race go to the draft, which allows access to higher talent and allows time to develop and build a culture together. But I also understand that doing it that way may not be as exciting to your fans reading some tweets from old mate Tommy Browne.

I actually think 2 firsts for Dunkley is overs. The fact that a lot of Essendon fans are willing to do that, just to land another trade, sort of goes to my point.

I don't see why the dogs aren't sign him up for an extra 2 years now on more money?

Something that gets closer to the essendon tag?
With Hunter on a wing, and key forwards brought in, both Macrae and bont play exclusively on ball these days. Libba attends a lot of centre bounces and rotate forward otherwise. Smith offers bursts at stoppages so he also gets significant midfield time.

In a way, Dunkley is 5th in line due to midfield balance and versatility, so bulldogs get a lot more value out of trading him.

Pure inside ball winning ability wise Dunkley is probably 1st, but his separation from the rest in this area doesn't warrant 100% midfield time, as others are much better with delivery/pace etc

Merett is a better player than dunkley.
I don’t get why bomber fans would do a swap unless Ofcourse he is clearly leaving.

I agree. If both those players swapped clubs in a trade, I’m not sure either team would be better off than they are now. Merrett is Essendon’s best player (and they didn’t even need to trade him in!)

If it's a massive deal on offer to Dunkley and he is contracted for two years then I'd expect Essendon to be paying a fortune on draft picks for him.

The last contracted players traded out of Freo for north of $750,000 a year were exchanged for top ten picks plus. Obviously you can only trade what you have, but this is why I think Essendon need both Brisbane's first round picks for Daniher so they can keep their top ten pick to trade to the Dogs for Dunkley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the sake of the argument, even if we for a second just assume Merrett and Dunkley are of similar values, nudge it whatever way you wish. It's still not enough. Essendon are pursuing a younger player who is a member of our leadership group, signed an extension 12 months ago and is contracted for another 24 months.

We wont be looking for an even trade in this. If Merrett and Dunkley is considered roughly an even swap, it's not enough you're initiating a trade ona guy with a lot of contract left to run. Come back with more please, this isn't a trade I'd expect the club to entertain as it achieves nothing for us

If you believe this then, please support this with our trading history where we have ripped teams off?
Key word is tried .. Daniher last year, Saad so far this year. Those are just recent examples.

Dodo exists to be the centre of attention of the trade period and he will most certainly offer something putrid and stick to it for days and drag it out. That is how he operates which is why noone wants to deal with him.

Please point to a team and group of supporters who cannot wait to deal with him ... as soon as it was announced Caldwell wanted a trade to Essendon the GWS supporters groaned

If it's a massive deal on offer to Dunkley and he is contracted for two years then I'd expect Essendon to be paying a fortune on draft picks for him.

The last contracted players traded out of Freo for north of $750,000 a year were exchanged for top ten picks plus. Obviously you can only trade what you have, but this is why I think Essendon need both Brisbane's first round picks for Daniher so they can keep their top ten pick to trade to the Dogs for Dunkley.

The two most similar trades Essendon have been involved with in terms of pay packet are Carslile and shiel.

- shiel contracted - costs two firsts with a second coming back. I think he’s on 7-800k ish

- carslile 700k, was out of contract so less leverage then the dogs. He was traded out for pick 5 and they got another first in return. (Saints dominated this trade)

I’d say sheil’s is most comparable which is two firsts and a second returning.

doggies will get higher picks then gws did as we will finnish lower.

Still if I was a dogs supporter I’d prefer to keep him then get say pick 16 this year and a future top 7 pick. He’s a gun.

This trade is just not going to happen, as much as getting Dunkley over to the Bombers would be great just can't see it happening

Doggies will be asking for a lot, which is fair enough as he is a very good player, AA, contracted, leadership group, still only 23?

Bombers will not want to give up too much, don't think the Bombers will be willing to give up two top 10 picks this year or pick six and next years first for example, which i believe could be top 5, there are so many gaps to fill on the Bombers list we need all the draft picks they can get

Personally i would be willing to give up pick 6 and say 16 we will get from Brisbane for example plus Hurley, but i don't know if that will be sufficient for the Doggies

This trade is just not going to happen, as much as getting Dunkley over to the Bombers would be great just can't see it happening

Doggies will be asking for a lot, which is fair enough as he is a very good player, AA, contracted, leadership group, still only 23?

Bombers will not want to give up too much, don't think the Bombers will be willing to give up two top 10 picks this year or pick six and next years first for example, which i believe could be top 5, there are so many gaps to fill on the Bombers list we need all the draft picks they can get

Personally i would be willing to give up pick 6 and say 16 we will get from Brisbane for example plus Hurley, but i don't know if that will be sufficient for the Doggies
You have to remove early draft picks for this year. They are no good to the dogs.

Pick 6 would go straight to JUH as does their pick 12.

Seems kinda bizarre that Essendon have targeted him in the first place, unless they've already established what could make the deal happen.

You have to remove early draft picks for this year. They are no good to the dogs.

Pick 6 would go straight to JUH as does their pick 12.
Early draft picks do still have value to the dogs.

A side like Freo could swap #6 for their future first
Then swap future firsts for #10 when JUH is bid on. Then they get two top picks

We dont want to use more draft picks ... we need players not more kids, we are already one of the youngest lists

Exactly, pick 6 is great collateral for the Bulldogs to use to turn into other assets.

Unless you want to take a big points deficit into 2021, it doesn't work like that. If JUH is bid on at #2 (most likely IMO) and Bulldogs match with #12, #36 and #46, then you have to take a further 2 draftees. One could be the NGA kid, but you'd have to take another. If you don't have 3 list spots against those 3 picks (one of which is used on JUH), they don't count as points. Also, in that scenario you would still be taking a points deficit into 2021 even with all three picks used.

Now, taking 2 late picks one of which is an NGA isn't the end of the world. But if you're planning on trading #12 into multiple later picks for points, those extra list spots start adding up.

Of course, if you don't need those extra picks I mentioned, they can be traded out for 2021 value or a single higher pick.
We have a number of trade options with lower ranked players thanks for your concern. Sam Power has so far shown himself to be a really good planner who gets about his job quietly

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back