Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I think the driver was $ during and post career. The Dunkleys already have an eye on maximizing his career. You can see it on his Instagram effort. He’s very marketable in that he’s handsome, wholesome, very safe/bland/dull. He’ll end up on Homes and Gardens or something similar post career and that is easier if you’re former Essendon champion than former Western Bulldogs champion.
we have this dodgy thing via the coteries & some senior members with regards to property deals.
It's effectively what got Shiel over the line.
It's an attractive proposition to would-be recruits.
Interesting that news.com.au is saying Essendon botched the deal on the final day. They supported this by saying Essendon offered pick 7 and a future second to Bulldogs, which was not accepted. Any deal is about offer and acceptance, so not sure how they can describe it as botched on the basis of one party not agreeing.
F2 went on Caldwell as well.
7 was useless to the Dogs. It would have put them in a tough position to trade it out prior to draft night.

Should have been onto the Pies early, moving the Saad pick for Pies F1 & North's 3rd.

Pies F1, 29 (from Raz) & Norths 3rd to Dogs for Dunkley.
Once Collingwood had gone full hatchet job on the list, that pick would have looked pretty.

Caldwell we hold firm on F2.
McCartney buckles rather than walking two top 10 pick kids to the PSD.

At the very least you offer that and let the Dogs turn it down.

reckon we tried to keep the 3x top 10 picks this year, F1, Caldwell and Dunkley in one trade period dream alive for too long.
Winning trade week, rather than actually winning it.

Dunkley, Caldwell, Perkins and Cox minus Reid would have been better than any off-season i can recall a club having.

Interesting that news.com.au is saying Essendon botched the deal on the final day. They supported this by saying Essendon offered pick 7 and a future second to Bulldogs, which was not accepted. Any deal is about offer and acceptance, so not sure how they can describe it as botched on the basis of one party not agreeing.
They’re probably alluding to the fact we were very clear that the price was an extortionate 2 firsts and you got to the last day neither willing or able to offer it. I’m not sure I’d say you botched it but you knew the price and got the player to nominate you knowing the price. The bit I never got is if you weren’t willing to pay the price, which is fine as it was extortionate, why bother pursuing it right until the last hours.
Anyway I hope for all our sakes someone puts this to bed early this year.

They’re probably alluding to the fact we were very clear that the price was an extortionate 2 firsts and you got to the last day neither willing or able to offer it. I’m not sure I’d say you botched it but you knew the price and got the player to nominate you knowing the price. The bit I never got is if you weren’t willing to pay the price, which is fine as it was extortionate, why bother pursuing it right until the last hours.
intent perhaps?
So when we come back and get Dunkley to nominate again, we can at least say we tried with a straight face?

No guarantees. Sydney offered a kings gift for Daniher. One year later he's at Brisbane.

The deal was botched in essence because you simply failed to get your man.

That’s their simplistic translation of events.

intent perhaps?
So when we come back and get Dunkley to nominate again, we can at least say we tried with a straight face?

No guarantees. Sydney offered a kings gift for Daniher. One year later he's at Brisbane.
Maybe, who knows. I’m not sure a player would see it that way as Dunkley is the one who has had to rebuild trust etc after you showed “intent” to trade him. Anyway we all know what went down in 2020 and I don’t think the price would be quite as high this year.

Maybe, who knows. I’m not sure a player would see it that way as Dunkley is the one who has had to rebuild trust etc after you showed “intent” to trade him. Anyway we all know what went down in 2020 and I don’t think the price would be quite as high this year.
What would be known is a) what our 2021 pick is, b) better ability to move 2022 picks (assuming we don't try for more than Dunkley) and c) where Merrett stands in the grand scheme of things.
I'd only chase Dunkley if Merrett stays. If he leaves, we need to go hard at the draft.

I'd say its 50/50 if we come back in for Dunkley, and 30/70 he asks for a trade again.
really comes down to what his conversation was when rebuilding the trust - was it i'm committed to 2021 and beyond, or commitment to do his best for the team in 2021.

news.com.au says everything really, must be a slow news day for them.

One of those trades where the best outcome was reached; Essendon didn't give up more than they could afford to, Dogs held on to a player who they didn't want to trade, working out pretty well for both at the moment.
And Dunkley got the midfield time he wanted.
Certainly the rumours from the Essendon end was that the initial price wasn't two firsts, but increased during the trade period.

And Dunkley got the midfield time he wanted.

Certainly the rumours from the Essendon end was that the initial price wasn't two firsts, but increased during the trade period.
I’ve never heard or read that anywhere. Our list manager literally said it would have to be 2 firsts. Dunkleys manager may have suggested it could be done for less but seeing as he was our contracted player I’d think he would have checked first.

I’ve never heard or read that anywhere. Our list manager literally said it would have to be 2 firsts. Dunkleys manager may have suggested it could be done for less but seeing as he was our contracted player I’d think he would have checked first.
I'm just saying what the rumours and "insiders" were saying on the Essendon boards. Were they correct? Who knows. But it was pretty consistent that we'd be paying less than 2 firsts, until the last week when they became more depressed.

I'm just saying what the rumours and "insiders" were saying on the Essendon boards. Were they correct? Who knows. But it was pretty consistent that we'd be paying less than 2 firsts, until the last week when they became more depressed.

They hoped to be paying less is how that sounds.

It has never been confirmed what the dogs original asking price was for Dunkley, Sam Power openly said he wouldn't comment on the negotiations which is fine.

But at the End of the trade Period Dodoro confirmed that the dogs wanted straight up Pick 8 + our 2021 First. I think everyone, including dogs fans can agree that this was a step too far. This would be the most expensive trade in History for a non AA player.

If this is what the dogs asked for the entire time than i'm confused why were perused it. Maybe we thought they would cave? Sam Power had all the cards though, he did very well. It was win/win so he was essentially able to ask for a ridiculous trade.

I certainly don't think Essendon wasted their time, the kids a star and was worth the effort. Doesn't always go your way I guess. For people to say we Botched the trade is a bit harsh imo, considering like I said in order to get it done it would have been the most expensive trade in History.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The deal was botched in essence because you simply failed to get your man.

That’s their simplistic translation of events.

Wouldn't botching a trade also mean paying unrealistic overs?? I think its a false idea that a trade is botched just because it didn't get done......you need to be able to set a price and then walk away if the price is too much. Much like with anything in life.

I think both clubs did quite well out of it in the end.

Id say the easy thing to do would be for the dogs just to lock Dunkley in for a long term contract.

But the dogs need to be very careful. They have ALOT of stars coming through that warrant good contracts, so will need to precise on how they fit them all in. Hopefully they don't do a Collingwood.

Id say the easy thing to do would be for the dogs just to lock Dunkley in for a long term contract.

But the dogs need to be very careful. They have ALOT of stars coming through that warrant good contracts, so will need to precise on how they fit them all in. Hopefully they don't do a Collingwood.

Thanks captain obvious.

Thanks captain obvious.

bit touchy mate, not sure that comment was warranted.

Which players you keeping? Letting go? since its so obvious?

Would have thought it was a fair discussion considering one if your players wanted to come to us. you know. the guy this topic is about.

Last edited:
$300k x 5 years from Collingwood is a nice little help (Treloar deal).
Naughton and Smith would be priorities for payrises, Bont is already our highest paid player plus gets a chunk of the club marketting allowance.
JJ won't be on anywhere near as much as he was next contract, and Trengove was a chunk of salary we save this year. Ditto Wood whose last contract was signed on the back of an AA, premiership captain year.
Sam Power as list manager seems to be doing quite well.

$300k x 5 years from Collingwood is a nice little help (Treloar deal).
Naughton and Smith would be priorities for payrises, Bont is already our highest paid player plus gets a chunk of the club marketting allowance.
JJ won't be on anywhere near as much as he was next contract, and Trengove was a chunk of salary we save this year. Ditto Wood whose last contract was signed on the back of an AA, premiership captain year.
Sam Power as list manager seems to be doing quite well.

Sam Power is very good

I read an article today about Sam Power saying they pre paid salary cap? didn't even know you can do that? How does that even work?

Aren't Lipinksi, McRae, Libratore, English, Caleb Daniels, Wallis & T Richards also coming to the end of their deals? Either this year or next?

Last edited:

I don’t think we will. We’re apparently already reticent to give Bont a Grundy/Kelly length contract. More than happy to pay him the big $ but the length is what can be the real anchor for clubs.

Sam Power is very good

I read an article today about Sam Power saying they pre paid salary cap? didn't even know you can do that? How does that even work?

Aren't Lipinksi, McRae, Libratore, English, Caleb Daniels, Wallis & T Richards also coming to the end of their deals? Either this year or next?

There's a 105 rule which allows a club to 'bank' 5% of cap space for use the following year (the old rule used to allow you to choose to use up to 2.5% in the following year if you didn't use all of the 5% in the immediate next year).
With quite a few kids on the list on their first two-year mandated salary I suspect a few clubs may be in a similar position. Depending on player movement Essendon may be in the position to go 95% next year (with feasibly 5 first round draft picks on base salary if Merrett leaves) then 105 the cap in 2023, with a view of picking up a marquee FE at the end of 2022.

Sam Power is very good

Twomey seems to believe we have enough cap space to retain all our players in addition to making plays this offseason, which surprises me. I'd have thought we'd be running tight once everyone is extended.

Wallis and Libba would be decreasing their next deals. Richards wouldn't be on any more (if anything, dropping in pay). Lipinski probably a similar situation.

Macrae and Daniel both tend to extend without much fanfare, and both seem the loyal types who would take less to stay loyal rather than go the mercenary route and squeeze the club for as much as they can get. Macrae would already be on a reasonably large salary anyway so I wouldn't imagine it goes up much higher than it already is.

English is the one who should be looking at a huge pay increase. Him and Daniel are really the only ones from that list who would be looking at any reasonable increase.

There's also Bailey Smith who may end up costing us big time. He'll be worth every penny, but can definitely see that deal being worth a lot

Sam Power is very good

He worded it poorly imo. Pre-paid salary just meant that some of our longer term contracts were restructured to be paid front end when we had a really young list. So JJ was on a 5 year 600k deal, wouldn’t surprise me if we paid 70% of that in its first two years etc etc.

Further compounded by the 95/105 rule in a two year period available, we’d have a fair amount of room left. We also had Tom Boyd’s cap space available to us.

Sam Power is doing great so far. If he can lock in our stars and up and comers for the next 3+ years, we’ll be golden. Assuming we’ve got a few bucks put away for this trade period on a KPB &/or a small forward too.

He worded it poorly imo. Pre-paid salary just meant that some of our longer term contracts were restructured to be paid front end when we had a really young list. So JJ was on a 5 year 600k deal, wouldn’t surprise me if we paid 70% of that in its first two years etc etc.

Further compounded by the 95/105 rule in a two year period available, we’d have a fair amount of room left. We also had Tom Boyd’s cap space available to us.

Sam Power is doing great so far. If he can lock in our stars and up and comers for the next 3+ years, we’ll be golden. Assuming we’ve got a few bucks put away for this trade period on a KPB &/or a small forward too.

oh yeah i get the front ended/back ended stuff.

I thought he was somehow pre paying 2021 caps rofl

Remove this Banner Ad

Back