Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

Right. Which is what I've been saying for weeks now.

Bulldogs didn't want to trade him, nor did they need to. So they didn't.

Why it has inspired weeks of ongoing comment since then when fundamentally they simply didn't want to trade him, so the offer was always irrelevant, is beyond me.

We would've traded him had Essendon risen to our demands. Essendon chose not to.

Its probably inspired ongoing comment because it would seem that you wont leave any comment go unanswered.

After all you are the biggest contributor to the thread dedicated to such things. Perhaps you are the one that needs to let it go.

If you can't see the difference between a player wanting out, wanting "to go home", etc. and a club having to scramble to try and make that happen, and Essendon talking Dunkley into requesting a trade out of the blue without having the currency, or will, to get it done, then there's little hope for you.
Yeah ok. Sydney, Adelaide and Carlton all sat back and waited for the players to fall into their laps. None of them showed swayed the players at all. Astute observation.

We would've traded him had Essendon risen to our demands. Essendon chose not to.

Because the demands were a trade value higher than any player trade that I can recall. Higher than Jeremy Cameron went for.

It would have been irresponsible to rise to the demands of the Dogs. So here we are, a team that didn't need nor want to trade a player, didn't trade them.

This is the second thread, 13 posts in this one isn't exactly leaving any comment unanswered.

It's the same posts over and over, people seemingly upset about a player not being traded.

Our collection of 2nd and 3rd rounders used to match JUH were worth more than Pick 2 according to the draft points, doesn't mean it's the same value. Two 1st rounders for Neale/Shiel and 2nd is clearly a better valuation than 1st and 2nd for Dunkley, especially considering the 1st needed to be moved on which would've devalued it even further. The offer for Dunkley was awful
Dodoro wouldn't have accepted his own offer by his own admission.
Select Essendon fans are also ignoring the fact that it's likely that picks would have gone with Dunkley if two firsts were offered.
The logic seems to be:
Dodoro's offers = 'posturing'
Powers' offers = 'unreasonable'

Select Essendon fans are also ignoring the fact that it's likely that picks would have gone with Dunkley if two firsts were offered.
The logic seems to be:
If you actually listen to the quote, Dodoro wouldn’t have accepted any offer because, like Power, he’d have wanted to keep a contracted player of that quality regardless of the offer.

And it’s all posturing. No one talks to the media for any other reason.

The logic seems to be:
Lol we're ignoring the fact that Bulldogs could have offered a pick back. So basically, we're ignoring what you came up with on the spot. I wonder why? :think:

Bulldogs wanted two good firsts. Essendon's final offer was pick 7 and a second. End of story. Accept it.
No one is saying Bulldogs were unreasonable. Just like Dodoro didn't want to trade Daniher, Bulldogs didn't want to trade Dunkley.

And you keep mentioning this tired argument of Dodoro not accepting his own offer. Like Lore mentioned, Dodoro wouldn't trade a contracted Dunkley if he was at Essendon. Period. Just like he didn't trade Daniher.

Dodo was always going to have to pay overs - you want to land a contacted player that the club wanted to keep you can't offer market rates.

Every chance this is just another dodo error to add to his long list of errors.
There's overs and then there is breaking the bank.
Two top 8 picks is ridiculous.
If I asked to buy someones 20k car, and the owner said 40k or not for sale, there would be no expectation for me to buy.

Have to say I was happy we didn’t Dunkley to Essendon hopefully he signs a extension but their is no rush as he is contracted till 2022.

If I asked to buy someones 20k car, and the owner said 40k or not for sale, there would be no expectation for me to buy.
However there would be an expectation that you wouldn't make an initial offer of $10k (pick 8), while also slyly suggesting to the car it will be detailed and serviced above what it normally would (Kyle) if you do get it, fill out the bill of sale and registration transfer paperwork and take it to VicRoads (getting him to nominate you) in the hopes the seller would buckle, then offer $25k in the end (7 and a 2020 second), or worse yet, "help" to buy a replacement car off another dodgy car salesman friend that we know the dealer no longer wants on his lot and has to flog off cheap to keep his business afloat because of his bad accounting skills and overcapitalising on other cars on his lot, but for a "more fair to the dealer" price despite us knowing he's desperate for a sale. (3-way trade)

Then after the sale unsurprisingly didn't go ahead, having the gall to say I wouldn't have sold the car for the $25k I offered either.

Offering $35k (8 + future first, with a second coming back) might well have got you the car you so badly require, and should've been the minimum offer after you did all the above very publicly, with your mass media brigade in tow (that one I couldn't be arsed making an analogy for).

Dodo created a massive hole in your list - he had a chance to fill it. Pay overs - fill the hole.

Dunkley would have easily been the best player Essendon had in the last 5 years.
Would have happily paid 2 firsts for what he's shown. With Danniher going out you really needed something going in that the fans can latch onto.
Hope it was worth it for you.

Because the demands were a trade value higher than any player trade that I can recall. Higher than Jeremy Cameron went for.

It would have been irresponsible to rise to the demands of the Dogs. So here we are, a team that didn't need nor want to trade a player, didn't trade them.

This is the second thread, 13 posts in this one isn't exactly leaving any comment unanswered.

It's the same posts over and over, people seemingly upset about a player not being traded.

I only came in to agree with another's post that one wouldn't think that Dunkley would nominate Essendon again after he was hung out to dry. Which you, and others, just had to follow up with your usual staunch defence of Dodoro, while accusing everybody else of being 'triggered'. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dodo created a massive hole in your list - he had a chance to fill it. Pay overs - fill the hole.

Essendon are probably a top 5 favourite for the spoon next season. A top 10 pick last year and potentially a top 5 this year is way too much for a player that hasn’t even made the AA team. That trade would make him one of the most expensive players of all time. He’s just not worth that, contracted or not.

We aren’t winning a flag anytime soon, so there is no need to pay overs for someone like Dunkley. Better to use our picks to fill multiple needs instead. With Daniher leaving and Hooker/Hurley aging, it is easy to argue we need kpps even more than someone like Dunkley.
I’m not the biggest fan of Dodoro, but I agree with his strategy here.

Essendon are probably a top 5 favourite for the spoon next season. A top 10 pick last year and potentially a top 5 this year is way too much for a player that hasn’t even made the AA team. That trade would make him one of the most expensive players of all time. He’s just not worth that, contracted or not.

We aren’t winning a flag anytime soon, so there is no need to pay overs for someone like Dunkley. Better to use our picks to fill multiple needs instead. With Daniher leaving and Hooker/Hurley aging, it is easy to argue we need kpps even more than someone like Dunkley.
Wont be bottom 5. Will be middle of the pack again.

I agree with pretty much everything you’ve said but why bother going for him then?

The part that doesn’t make Essendon look great is dragging it out knowing the price, coming back with offers below the price and getting the player to nominate knowing you couldn’t/wouldn’t get it done. As a club Essendon are pretty much saying they “tried it on” hoping the Dogs would fold for well unders especially taking into account (or not) our bidding situation for 2020.

Doesn't look great now that Essendon have basically shafted kyle dunkley.
Would have at least taken him for a year or 2 and tried getting dunkely again in 2021.

I agree with pretty much everything you’ve said but why bother going for him then?

The part that doesn’t make Essendon look great is dragging it out knowing the price, coming back with offers below the price and getting the player to nominate knowing you couldn’t/wouldn’t get it done. As a club Essendon are pretty much saying they “tried it on” hoping the Dogs would fold for well unders especially taking into account (or not) our bidding situation for 2020.
Have you considered the possibility that Josh Dunkley no longer wanted to play for the Bulldogs before Essendon got in touch with him?

Have you considered the possibility that Josh Dunkley no longer wanted to play for the Bulldogs before Essendon got in touch with him?
If that was the case, he'd certainly nominate another club before Essendon. Pickering would know a trade there would be unlikely and Josh would have just about every other club offering him big money, most of which are in better circumstances than Essendon.

It's clear that Josh was open to a trade but hadn't fully considered it before the big offer from Essendon truly tempted him.

It was $$$.
In terms of the trade I think both teams tried to bluff and both failed. I reckon Essendon hoped we’d cave on the last day and the opposite from us in that we thought you’d pay well overs on the last day due to getting Dunkley to request.

Dunkley would have easily been the best player Essendon had in the last 5 years.
Would have happily paid 2 firsts for what he's shown. With Danniher going out you really needed something going in that the fans can latch onto.
Hope it was worth it for you.

I've mentioned this in an earlier post, not even elite players go for two top 10 picks.

Lachie Neale (under contract)+30 for 6+19+55
Dangerfield (RFA)+50 for 9+27+Dean Gore
Last trade that had two top 10s was Treloar, (7+7). Way overs.

Dogs were well placed to push for two top 10 picks thanks to Dunkley's contract status. Doesn't mean Dunkley is suddenly worth more than all the elite players that got traded recently.

I've mentioned this in an earlier post, not even elite players go for two top 10 picks.

Lachie Neale (under contract)+30 for 6+19+55
Dangerfield (RFA)+50 for 9+27+Dean Gore
Last trade that had two top 10s was Treloar, (7+7). Way overs.

Dogs were well placed to push for two top 10 picks thanks to Dunkley's contract status. Doesn't mean Dunkley is suddenly worth more than all the elite players that got traded recently.
Difference is that those other clubs were motivated to gain picks to maneuver in other trades, making them worth more to those teams. The opposite happened for us, we didn't have that much value for the top 10 picks as they would get soaked up in JUH bid or get on-traded to avoid this.

Difference is that those other clubs were motivated to gain picks to maneuver in other trades, making them worth more to those teams. The opposite happened for us, we didn't have that much value for the top 10 picks as they would get soaked up in JUH bid or get on-traded to avoid this.

I get JUH would mean any top 10 pick would've been a waste in the draft. But I'm not talking about picks worth to the club though, I'm referring to just a player's trade worth.

Based on recent trades of even elite players that I listed, there is no player in the game who has been worth two top 10 picks which Dogs demanded from Essendon. You have to go as far back as Chris Judd trade to make a case.

Dogs were well within their right to demand it (due to 2 years of Dunkley contract and no real bad blood between Dunkley + Dogs), but let's not suddenly dress up Dunkley as this messiah who is worth that much in trade value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back