Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

And that's why you don't sell the farm for any player if you're rebuilding.

Our injury list is horrifying at the moment, meaning we'd have given up pick 8 (Hooker/Hurley's replacement in Reid) + a top 3 pick (Potentially Sinn or Horne) for Dunkley.

There'd be outrage right now if we did that deal.

pretty much everything in this post is bullsh1t. Well done

i am more than happy to admit being wrong, it seemed the relationship was somewhat fractured though. he made it sound like dunks wasnt best 22 in the media (how is this possible, best contested player in the league), and then a week later backtracked on those comments.

different collateral

The dogs were going to move pick 16 out of the draft given JUH
Say it was the std 2x 1st with player and 2nd coming back

Dons send F1, pick 10 to Dogs
They send Dunkley and F2 to us (F2 is needed to allow us to trade F1)

Dogs have 10 and 16 to work with
Cats are hunting for picks to pay for Jez
Pies are trying to get into this draft as part of a list refresh
Dees gave up a future 1st and 869 worth of points for 18 & 19 & future 2nd. reckon 10 and 16 would have gone close to securing that deal

Dogs could have turned Dunkley into quite a bit.

They otherwise managed to turn their first rounder into plenty anyway. That without the hassle of chasing first rounders for Dodo.

different collateral

The dogs were going to move pick 16 out of the draft given JUH
Say it was the std 2x 1st with player and 2nd coming back

Dons send F1, pick 10 to Dogs
They send Dunkley and F2 to us (F2 is needed to allow us to trade F1)

Dogs have 10 and 16 to work with
Cats are hunting for picks to pay for Jez
Pies are trying to get into this draft as part of a list refresh
Dees gave up a future 1st and 869 worth of points for 18 & 19 & future 2nd. reckon 10 and 16 would have gone close to securing that deal

Dogs could have turned Dunkley into quite a bit.
Geelong weren’t hunting for picks, they already had them.
All those examples you are giving rely on Dogs hopefully getting a pick around 10 plus in next years draft. Really nothing special for a gun contracted player who is on a small salary. Plus they needed to make sure they had the points and trade collateral for Treloar.

A Top 10 first and a second is Sweet fu** All for a player that hasn't even made one AA team?

lol

you should re assess what you think sweet fu** all is..........

The dogs wanted 2 x Top 10 Picks............This has NEVER been done for a player that has never made an AA team.
Do you still not understand what the landscape was?
yes a top 10 pick was SFA for them.

Something I think everyone is underestimating is the value of having a gun mid on (probably) less than gun mid money for two years. That has a lot of value for the dogs and no one else in any trade scenario, and at least partly explains why we wanted so much for him. Anyone thinking that we could lose him for nothing in two years is totally ignoring his output on unders in seasons 21 and 22. It’s basically the reverse of the Josh Kelly situation and meant we had cap to add Treloar and push hard for a flag just before we have to start handing out some big pay rises to Smith, Bont, Williams and a host of others.

As we saw in the Treloar scenario, a club’s salary cap can mess with market value of a player because it distorts the price each side of equation believes is reasonable.

And that's why you don't sell the farm for any player if you're rebuilding.

Our injury list is horrifying at the moment, meaning we'd have given up pick 8 (Hooker/Hurley's replacement in Reid) + a top 3 pick (Potentially Sinn or Horne) for Dunkley.

There'd be outrage right now if we did that deal.

People like digging the heels in either way.

Seems more so from Carlton supporters with anything regarding Essendon.

I’m more than happy with the facts that are outlined and why it didn’t get done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing well Dunks. Very strong around the ball and in the guts in first 2 weeks.

I don’t think any normal AFL supporter disagrees that Josh can play football, Essendon supporters didn’t want to pay the price whilst non - Essendon people just want to laugh at us

My issue with lots of the comments is that when Dodoro says he wants a first rounder for Fantasia a lot of the supporters hit back to opposition posters that this is just the starting point in the negotiations etc etc but when Power says 2 good first for Dunkley those same posters kick up that Power was asking too much. Isn't it the same thing? Who's to say that just our future first might have ended up being enough if it was on the table? Or future first plus a 3rd for points for JUH? Who knows, but it's a bit incongruous for people to only look at it with one lens on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They otherwise managed to turn their first rounder into plenty anyway. That without the hassle of chasing first rounders for Dodo.

no one said the dogs & sam power didn't do extremely well.

but Essendon absolutely tried all avenues to get the deal done. That was my point.

At the end of the day Dunkley is not worth 2 x Top 10 picks in any scenario, that's probably why the Dogs asked for it. Because they knew we would never pay it........and if we did they would be laughing to the bank.

I don’t think any normal AFL supporter disagrees that Josh can play football, Essendon supporters didn’t want to pay the price whilst non - Essendon people just want to laugh at us

It really is the stupidest of things. Seemingly the thought process is because you get a player to nominate you that means you have to get the deal done?, regardless of the cost?. Absolute stupid thinking.

Its absolutely mind boggling that nuffies in this thread would not understand that Essendon would have told Dunkley their limit (like i imagine most clubs would when they are going after a contracted player), in which that limit was clearly reached.

No other player in HISTORY has gone for 2 x Top 10 Picks that hasn't made an AA team. Apparently not doing this historic trade means the dogs got "sweet * all".

Just laughable really......the anti Essendon brigade is out there on this one.

Last edited:
It really is the stupidest of things. Seemingly the thought process is because you get a player to nominate you that means you have to get the deal done?, regardless of the cost?. Absolute stupid thinking.

Its absolutely mind boggling that nuffies in this thread would not understand that Essendon would have told Dunkley their limit (like i imagine most clubs would when they are going after a contracted player), in which that limit was clearly reached.

No other player in HISTORY has gone for 2 x Top 10 Picks that hasn't made an AA team. Apparently not doing this historic trade means the dogs got "sweet fu** all".

Just laughable really......the anti Essendon brigade is out there on this one.

Hang on. You have posted 15 times in this thread since 1:30pm yesterday, and have a display image of Dodoro tickling Dunkley behind the ears. Who exactly is the nuffy here?

Hang on. You have posted 15 times in this thread since 1:30pm yesterday, and have a display image of Dodoro tickling Dunkley behind the ears. Who exactly is the nuffy here?

Quote me a single nuff comment I have made in this thread.

I have been more than fair and reasonable for both Dogs & Essendon.

And its an avatar that I have had since October last year that's taking the piss out of dodoro. I cbfed changing it. Nothing Nuff about it.

Quote me a single nuff comment I have made in this thread.

I have been more than fair and reasonable for both Dogs & Essendon.

And its an avatar that I have had since October last year that's taking the piss out of dodoro. I cbfed changing it. Nothing Nuff about it.
Have to say your avatar made me have a good laugh 😂 nothing is wrong with it

Exactly. We denied them the chance to laugh at Dodoro for overpaying on their surplus player..

My issue with lots of the comments is that when Dodoro says he wants a first rounder for Fantasia a lot of the supporters hit back to opposition posters that this is just the starting point in the negotiations etc etc but when Power says 2 good first for Dunkley those same posters kick up that Power was asking too much. Isn't it the same thing? Who's to say that just our future first might have ended up being enough if it was on the table? Or future first plus a 3rd for points for JUH? Who knows, but it's a bit incongruous for people to only look at it with one lens on.
First of all, not many Essendon supporters are actually criticising Power. Both sides win out of not doing the trade. Even Dunkley wins. If the trade was done for Power's asking price, Dogs would have been the only winners. It's not a criticism of what he is asking for. Rather, it is being realistic about our position and why we couldn't give what he asked for.

Most Essendon supporters are sick of Dodoro's time-wasting and posturing when all of us know (including Dodoro) that we were never getting the first rounder for Fantasia so he does get criticised for it.

If Bulldogs wanted a future first, then they could have accepted Collingwood's future first. There was a deal on the table that would have landed Dogs a future first, Treloar and enough points to match JUH. if Dogs considered that, then Collingwood + Essendon could have added to the offer to get the deal over the line. But Dogs wanted to do both trades separately and cut any negotiations for a 3-way trade, which is when we removed ourselves from the situation. Again, this is not criticising Dogs.

There's no way we can afford to offer a future first when Daniher, Fantasia, Saad and McKenna all leave. Plus we have probably the most injury-prone squad in the league. Even Dunkley for our future first on its own would have been too much.

Exactly. We denied them the chance to laugh at Dodoro for overpaying on their surplus player..
It is a great spot for everyone who doesn't barrack for Essendon.

We can laugh at Adrian for making the offer and failing to get the trade done.

If he had done the trade we could have laughed at how much he paid.

Now we can just laugh at how pathetic Essendon look with all the wonderful trade wins that Essendon have enjoyed over the last few years.

Thank you Adrian for giving the world (ex Essendon Supporters) such a happy place.

I think it’s much funnier you had the chance to get a gun and fill a massive hole in your list. The more Dunkley plays like he has in the 1st 2 rounds the worse this non trade looks.

Why focus on the selling party when you should be focusing on the buying party

Two top 10 picks for Dunkley is laughable even someone who loathes Essendon like you do.

Imagine BigFooty if the shoe was on the other foot

It is a great spot for everyone who doesn't barrack for Essendon.

We can laugh at Adrian for making the offer and failing to get the trade done.

If he had done the trade we could have laughed at how much he paid.

Now we can just laugh at how pathetic Essendon look with all the wonderful trade wins that Essendon have enjoyed over the last few years.

Thank you Adrian for giving the world (ex Essendon Supporters) such a happy place.

The devil is in the detail here.

Sounds like old mate Sammy Power wanted to one up Dodoro by wanting seperate deals (Treloar/Dunkley) after a deal was close and realised what he was getting.

Don’t let lies get in the way of a good story though

What they really wanted is for everyone to laugh at Dodoro and Essendon because Dogs have a top 2 pick for a player they won't miss while contending for a premiership. Oh and they'd have turned the other 2020 first rounder into Collingwood's 2021 first, which is another top 10 pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back