Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
My issue with lots of the comments is that when Dodoro says he wants a first rounder for Fantasia a lot of the supporters hit back to opposition posters that this is just the starting point in the negotiations etc etc but when Power says 2 good first for Dunkley those same posters kick up that Power was asking too much. Isn't it the same thing? Who's to say that just our future first might have ended up being enough if it was on the table? Or future first plus a 3rd for points for JUH? Who knows, but it's a bit incongruous for people to only look at it with one lens on.

Great post. I'd be extremely surprised if your 2021 first plus steak knives wouldn't have gotten it done. If someone comes to you asking to buy something you really don't want to sell then you throw up an outlandish price and see how close they're willing to get. I'm surprised that Dodoro wasn't willing to put the 2021 first on the table at all. Bizarre that he thought he could get a deal done with a 2020 first which would just end up as points for Jamarra. To be honest I think he saw the Treloar situation as an opportunity to rip the Dogs off because Collingwood were desperately trying to manufacture a three-way. Prior to the Treloar situation he was probably prepared to pay the 2021 first as long as that was the full price.

Bizarre that he thought he could get a deal done with a 2020 first which would just end up as points for Jamarra.
Sure is bizarre, if we start with the assumption that Sam Power is a giant idiot who would have kept the pick for the rest of trade period, and then kept it through the pick-only trade period that lasts for another month after that, and then get to the start of the draft and keep keeping it until it gets used up matching the bid on Jamarra.

A better assumption is that Dodoro thought you would have a use for that pick, turn it into a 2021 pick for instance (since Collingwood have their own JUH to match for in 2021, and a couple of other clubs also traded out of 2021). You could also have turned it into a different player you might've wanted, like a KPD or a small forward. On the other hand, Power was evidently happy enough with what he already had, or couldn't access the kind of players or picks he wanted if he was going to give up Dunkley. So far Dunkley is as committed to the Dogs as he is to his new bestie Adam, so that's working out okay – though I think you still need a KPD and a small forward, right? Or did you draft them in the end? (No shade, I genuinely don't pay that much attention XD)

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sure is bizarre, if we start with the assumption that Sam Power is a giant idiot who would have kept the pick for the rest of trade period, and then kept it through the pick-only trade period that lasts for another month after that, and then get to the start of the draft and keep keeping it until it gets used up matching the bid on Jamarra.

A better assumption is that Dodoro thought you would have a use for that pick, turn it into a 2021 pick for instance (since Collingwood have their own JUH to match for in 2021, and a couple of other clubs also traded out of 2021). You could also have turned it into a different player you might've wanted, like a KPD or a small forward. On the other hand, Power was evidently happy enough with what he already had, or couldn't access the kind of players or picks he wanted if he was going to give up Dunkley. So far Dunkley is as committed to the Dogs as he is to his new bestie Adam, so that's working out okay – though I think you still need a KPD and a small forward, right? Or did you draft them in the end? (No shade, I genuinely don't pay that much attention XD)
If we picked up Essendon’s 2020 1st with the intention to in trade for a future 1st, every other club would know we would need to trade it, so it’s value would take an automatic hit. We would be starting each negotiation at a disadvantage.

That wouldn’t have been the case if Essendon had of turned their own 1st into a 2021 1st with the aim to give that to us.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Bizarre.. why trade for a 2020 pick with the intention of trading it for a 21 pick with every club knowing it and offering peanuts.

Oh sorry the Dogs should. have just done what Adrian and a few deluded Ess fans wanted.

It's academic now. Ess just smashed the Saints and could be headed for a finals win soon... Dunkley not required

End thread

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Bizarre.. why trade for a 2020 pick with the intention of trading it for a 21 pick with every club knowing it and offering peanuts.

Oh sorry the Dogs should. have just done what Adrian and a few deluded Ess fans wanted.

It's academic now. Ess just smashed the Saints and could be headed for a finals win soon... Dunkley not required

End thread
Dogs in turn know that Collingwood would have been desperate to trade out of the 2021 draft.

While the win was good, St Kilda were utter trash. The Port game last week showed that we need more size in the midfield.
Doesn't matter whether it is Dunkley or if we draft a big bodied inside mid.

If we picked up Essendon’s 2020 1st with the intention to in trade for a future 1st, every other club would know we would need to trade it, so it’s value would take an automatic hit. We would be starting each negotiation at a disadvantage.

That wouldn’t have been the case if Essendon had of turned their own 1st into a 2021 1st with the aim to give that to us.
Where as every other club wouldn't have known we needed to trade 1 for Dunkley so the value wouldn't have taken an automatic hit?

Both sides would've taken a hit trying to flip the 2020 pick in a Dunkley trade. Neither side was prepared to take the hit. Smart by both clubs really.

As the "seller" of Dunkley the Bulldogs 100% shouldn't take the hit. But considering how screwed the Bombers list is we need every bit of value we can get so we can't afford to take a hit.

What that meant, obviously, was the Dunkley trade didn't happen. Which is best for both clubs.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Where as every other club wouldn't have known we needed to trade 1 for Dunkley so the value wouldn't have taken an automatic hit?

Both sides would've taken a hit trying to flip the 2020 pick in a Dunkley trade. Neither side was prepared to take the hit. Smart by both clubs really.

As the "seller" of Dunkley the Bulldogs 100% shouldn't take the hit. But considering how screwed the Bombers list is we need every bit of value we can get so we can't afford to take a hit.

What that meant, obviously, was the Dunkley trade didn't happen. Which is best for both clubs.
Yep both sides did what's best for them. Even Dunkley won.

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Nice response.

The funny thing is if Dunkley requests a trade again this year and you offered Nik Cox and your 2nd rounder, I think we’d do the deal, not sure if you guys would though.

Nice response.

The funny thing is if Dunkley requests a trade again this year and you offered Nik Cox and your 2nd rounder, I think we’d do the deal, not sure if you guys would though.
Pass.

But you're speaking to the wrong person because I've never wanted Dunkley at the price he'd cost. People are fixated on our lack of big bodied mids so they think we absolutely should've got Dunkley.

Problem is it's not the only hole on our list, Dunkley wouldn't have made up 10 goals last week. We need to take our picks to the draft and use the multiple picks to plug multiple holes rather than packaging them up for one plug.

If we could get him cheap, sure take him. But the Bulldogs sure as s**t aren't giving him up cheap and nor should they.

Apr 2, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pass.

But you're speaking to the wrong person because I've never wanted Dunkley at the price he'd cost. People are fixated on our lack of big bodied mids so they think we absolutely should've got Dunkley.

Problem is it's not the only hole on our list, Dunkley wouldn't have made up 10 goals last week. We need to take our picks to the draft and use the multiple picks to plug multiple holes rather than packaging them up for one plug.

If we could get him cheap, sure take him. But the Bulldogs sure as sh*t aren't giving him up cheap and nor should they.
Lmao what?

If a player like Dunkley is available, there is no way your club goes in with such a sissy attitude. Established guns are always worth more than speculative draft picks, and there's no way even Dodoro would sit on his hands and hope a player like Dunkley "comes cheap".

The problem last year was that Dodoro was too much of a chickenshit to put the future first on the table. A list manager with spine would've pulled the trigger and backed the team to exceed expectations the following year. Dodoro is clearly much more comfortable banking on a bottom 2 finish.

Also, just because we were asking for two firsts doesn't mean it would've been the final deal. I'm sure we would've settled for Essendon's future first + a future second, but Dodoro wouldn't even entertain having the future first on the table.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Lmao what?

If a player like Dunkley is available, there is no way your club goes in with such a sissy attitude. Established guns are always worth more than speculative draft picks, and there's no wat even Dodoro would sot on his hands and hope a player like Dunkley "comes cheap".

The problem last year was that Dodoro was too much of a chickenshit to put the future first on the table. A list manager with spine would've pulled the trigger and backed the team to exceed expectations the following year. Dodoro is clearly much more comfortable banking on a bottom 2 finish.

Also, just because we were asking for two firsts doesn't mean it would've been the final deal. I'm sure we would've settled for Essendon's future first + a future second, but Dodoro wouldn't even entertain having the future first on the table.

That's the part that really worries me. You'd think that if Essendon bring in Dunkley that they'd expect to finish in the top half of the ladder. They've got a bunch of mature leaders and a lot of players in their prime. It's not like they're in a bottom out year of a rebuild. The list manager is the bloke who should know that better than anyone. But the fact that he wasn't willing to deal with their future first indicates that he expected them to be rubbish this year. He is expecting that the list that HE assembled will be s**t. I would be very troubled if the guy in charge of putting together your football team expected it to perform like crap.

Lmao what?

If a player like Dunkley is available, there is no way your club goes in with such a sissy attitude. Established guns are always worth more than speculative draft picks, and there's no way even Dodoro would sit on his hands and hope a player like Dunkley "comes cheap".

Cool. 👍
That's the part that really worries me. You'd think that if Essendon bring in Dunkley that they'd expect to finish in the top half of the ladder. They've got a bunch of mature leaders and a lot of players in their prime. It's not like they're in a bottom out year of a rebuild. The list manager is the bloke who should know that better than anyone. But the fact that he wasn't willing to deal with their future first indicates that he expected them to be rubbish this year. He is expecting that the list that HE assembled will be sh*t. I would be very troubled if the guy in charge of putting together your football team expected it to perform like crap.

We've been predicted bottom 4 far and wide. Dunkley moves us in to the top 8?

I don't think so.

We fielded the youngest team last week (mentioned during the coverage yesterday on ABC radio I haven't fact checked). That doesn't scream "a lot of players in their prime."

Prime football is what? 26 - 30? We fielded 6 last week in that bracket. Including Tom Cutler (spud), Martin Gleeson (shadow) and Nick Hind.

We have a young team.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Cool. 👍

We've been predicted bottom 4 far and wide. Dunkley moves us in to the top 8?

I don't think so.

So because the AFL media predict Essendon to finish bottom four you're happy for your list manager to plan for that eventuality? Talk about having a defeatist attitude. I'm not saying Dunkley single-handedly moves you into the eight. You might want to brush up on your reading and comprehension.

So because the AFL media predict Essendon to finish bottom four you're happy for your list manager to plan for that eventuality? Talk about having a defeatist attitude. I'm not saying Dunkley single-handedly moves you into the eight. You might want to brush up on your reading and comprehension.
No because I believe we have a bottom 4 list I'm happy for the list manager to plan for that. I'd be happier if it was a different list manager but Essendon seem determined to stand by their man.

So you don't think we make top 8 with Dunkley? Where do you think we finish with and without Dunkley?

Interesting post edit too. Does this mean you've realised we don't have a "lot of players in their prime?"

Apr 2, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are we now pretending Josh Dunkley isn't exactly the type of player clubs dream of when they take an inside mid with a top 5 pick?

Are we now pretending Josh Dunkley isn't exactly the type of player clubs dream of when they take an inside mid with a top 5 pick?
No.

But are you now pretending one pick gets the deal done?

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
No.

But are you now pretending one pick gets the deal done?
We would take the deal assuming your first rounder is inside the top handful IMO.

Lots of reasons why. Only one contract year remaining, we are stocked for mids, no JUH bid, 12 months for Power to target an existing need etc.

We would take the deal assuming your first rounder is inside the top handful IMO.

Lots of reasons why. Only one contract year remaining, we are stocked for mids, no JUH bid, 12 months for Power to target an existing need etc.
So you personally would have accepted just our 2021 1st rounder?

Hey, Dodoro is the one who said Essendon's future first was totally off limits, not us. If you want to value unspecified 17 year olds over a proven gun like Dunkley, all the power to you.
Cool. 👍

Back