Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
It’s almost the Anti Dodoro is North Melbourne.

Imagine having a generational key forward available and you go for yet another run of the mill midfielder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i dont think Horne will be run of the mill 🤔

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Wherever we finish this year, losing Merrett likely means we'd finish in a similar position next year. Would you give up a top-5 selection for a guy who'll start the season in a bottom 4 side at 25 and likely be at least 27 / 28 by the time that side returns to finals? Given losing Merrett would almost definitely mean EFC finished bottom 4.
Clubs would give a pick 5 for Merrett, if it's the player they needed, as in a skillfull mid.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

McKay really wasn't rated that highly pre-draft. Classic case of revisionism here, would have been a reach to take him there, Schache and Weideman both went before McKay as well yet he'll end up better than both.

McDonald was in discussion for #1 so was well and truly in the frame at North's selection, and the argument as to whether they should have taken the KPF or Mid is a very clear discussion point moving forward given they needed both.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
McKay really wasn't rated that highly pre-draft. Classic case of revisionism here, would have been a reach to take him there, Schache and Weideman both went before McKay as well yet he'll end up better than both.

McDonald was in discussion for #1 so was well and truly in the frame at North's selection, and the argument as to whether they should have taken the KPF or Mid is a very clear discussion point moving forward given they needed both.
I was more-so having a bit of an uninformed dig for the sake of getting a few chuckles. You don't have to ruin it with facts sir.

There was some talk about which McKay brother was rated higher. Most clubs rated Harry higher, a handful of clubs (including the bulldog) liked Ben. IIRC mid-teens was where a lot of phantoms had Harry.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hooker? Who had kicked 28 goals in 133 games.
Yeah but he kicked 21 goals and 21 behinds from 10 games when he moved forward for the last 10 rounds in 2015. Hooker played as a defender from round 1 to round 13 that year and every year before that. Daniher and Hooker forward meant that we selected a defender in Francis and a mid in Parish.

I wanted Curnow and Parish at the time as we had lost Crameri, but that wouldn't have worked out well for us.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My issue with lots of the comments is that when Dodoro says he wants a first rounder for Fantasia a lot of the supporters hit back to opposition posters that this is just the starting point in the negotiations etc etc but when Power says 2 good first for Dunkley those same posters kick up that Power was asking too much. Isn't it the same thing? Who's to say that just our future first might have ended up being enough if it was on the table? Or future first plus a 3rd for points for JUH? Who knows, but it's a bit incongruous for people to only look at it with one lens on.
my issue with all the crap I have read in this thread is that you are talking about an elite mid that had 2, count that 2!, years to run on his contract. So take what he worth (perceived or otherwise) and pretty much double it to convince the club that owns the player for the next 2 years to release him.
Really simple

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
i dont think Horne will be run of the mill 🤔
as most people are oblivious too, it was in reference to Roos selecting Will Phillips over Logan McDonald last year.

Small midfielders are dime a dozen, top end talented key forwards are scarcer than a Covid 19 vaccine

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
as most people are oblivious too, it was in reference to Roos selecting Will Phillips over Logan McDonald last year.

Small midfielders are dime a dozen, top end talented key forwards are scarcer than a Covid 19 vaccine
From what i know there are no really promising key forwards that are worthy of pick 1. so he is a goal kicking mid that North will select

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In a surprise to no one. Whether Dunkley still wants to move if he's playing as a genuine on-baller now is the question.
Personally I think the driver was $ during and post career. The Dunkleys already have an eye on maximizing his career. You can see it on his Instagram effort. He’s very marketable in that he’s handsome, wholesome, very safe/bland/dull. He’ll end up on Homes and Gardens or something similar post career and that is easier if you’re former Essendon champion than former Western Bulldogs champion.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Personally I think the driver was $ during and post career. The Dunkleys already have an eye on maximizing his career. You can see it on his Instagram effort. He’s very marketable in that he’s handsome, wholesome, very safe/bland/dull. He’ll end up on Homes and Gardens or something similar post career and that is easier if you’re former Essendon champion than former Western Bulldogs champion.

Definitely a consideration, whilst being thrown around as a forward-ruck-midfield utility he was never going to maximise his earnings, and wasn't a shout of AA selection. Playing full-time through the middle he'll be a better chance of the money and the awards, I think in the Essendon midfield he'd be a lock for AA selection given he's not competing for that clearance role with anyone really, but he's back to around his 2019 second half numbers now so should run close to the AA side again I'd think, and will be offered a reasonable contract renewal ahead of 2022 at a guess.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Definitely a consideration, whilst being thrown around as a forward-ruck-midfield utility he was never going to maximise his earnings, and wasn't a shout of AA selection. Playing full-time through the middle he'll be a better chance of the money and the awards, I think in the Essendon midfield he'd be a lock for AA selection given he's not competing for that clearance role with anyone really, but he's back to around his 2019 second half numbers now so should run close to the AA side again I'd think, and will be offered a reasonable contract renewal ahead of 2022 at a guess.
Completely agree, champion midfielder from either club has a lot more star attraction.

Falcon27

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
In a surprise to no one. Whether Dunkley still wants to move if he's playing as a genuine on-baller now is the question.
Interesting that news.com.au is saying Essendon botched the deal on the final day. They supported this by saying Essendon offered pick 7 and a future second to Bulldogs, which was not accepted. Any deal is about offer and acceptance, so not sure how they can describe it as botched on the basis of one party not agreeing.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting that news.com.au is saying Essendon botched the deal on the final day. They supported this by saying Essendon offered pick 7 and a future second to Bulldogs, which was not accepted. Any deal is about offer and acceptance, so not sure how they can describe it as botched on the basis of one party not agreeing.

news.com.au says everything really, must be a slow news day for them.

One of those trades where the best outcome was reached; Essendon didn't give up more than they could afford to, Dogs held on to a player who they didn't want to trade, working out pretty well for both at the moment.

Back