Recommitted Josh Dunkley [re-signed through 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

What about Smith and Pittonet.
Pittonet is killing it VFL level, but can’t get a run at it with McEvoy and Ceglar in the way.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pittonet wouldn’t get a game ahead of English.

I don’t think we’d be that keen on shunting off a great young mid for a past it wingman and a battler like pittonet who wouldn’t get a game

Id imagine Balta will be off limits. He just re-signed as well and i think there is a rule about trading recently re-signed players.
Id be happy to give up Bolton, Castagna, Butler or Baker for him with our 1st. Doubt the Dogs would accept that though haha
Don’t think that rule exists regarding not trading someone who has re-signed we traded for Schache a few months after he signed with Brisbane. In saying that I wouldn’t see you guys ever wanted to part with Balta

Libba re-signed
Thought libba would make way for Dunkley so this is interesting now
Definitely makes me concerned about him leaving now. The only other mids I could have seen us losing instead are McLean and Wallis, but both are contracted long term

Libba re-signed
Thought libba would make way for Dunkley so this is interesting now

Honestly I'd be surprised if either on them left. Both love the club and while they'd rather be full time mids are willing to play other roles for the team. It's players like McLean and maybe even Macrae that I'm more worried about if they want more midfield time and seeing how contracts don't mean much anymore...

Id imagine Balta will be off limits. He just re-signed as well and i think there is a rule about trading recently re-signed players.
Id be happy to give up Bolton, Castagna, Butler or Baker for him with our 1st. Doubt the Dogs would accept that though haha
Wrong, it gets done sometimes to give the team more in a way of a trade, example Shache.

Why didn't the swans try harder to get him as a father son? This line about not wanting to move inter state has got to be b.s.....

Why didn't the swans try harder to get him as a father son?
Very poor talent identification
Kinnear Beatson said:
It was a difficult one but that's what the bidding system is, and when the bid came up from the Bulldogs, we had to have a look and try and work out who was going to be there.
Our main strategy in the draft was to try to improve our kicking skills, we lost 'Jetts' (Lewis Jetta) and 'Shawry' (Rhyce Shaw), and (Nick) Malceski the year before, and we were a bit light on for guys who could really kick it.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-11-25/swans-overlook-dunkley-in-draft

Why didn't the swans try harder to get him as a father son? This line about not wanting to move inter state has got to be b.s.....
Dunkley wanted to stay in melbourne
Swans agreed they would not draft him due to his wishes but if still available with their last pick they will take him and Dunkley agreed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans agreed they would not draft him due to his wishes but if still available with their last pick they will take him and Dunkley agreed

Ehhh why quote me when I just commented that ? 🙄 balta is a gun but haha

Getting better by the week and his priced both in trade and contract are going through the roof.

I would love him at the Tigs.

Would gladly give up our first and a best 22 player for him as he is exactly what we need but probably cant afford.

If another interstate club nominated him they would have matched, his preference was to stay in Melbourne but if he had to leave it would have only been to the Swans.

When he was drafted the Swans had the deepest midfield in the comp especially for ball winning mids. Hanners & Jack were still at the top of their game and Kennedy was probably the inside mid benchmark of the competition.

We took a massive punt trading down to get him. Kieran Collins was a bust and thankfully Dunkley has come on to be a gun. Could have had Harry McKay or Curnow but we saved face.

That being said I would be open to trading him for a massive deal.
We aren’t too shabby at drafting mids.

If the Dogs can trade Dunkley for a tall forward, or in a roundabout way get there, it could be a win for them. They have the mids to rotate in but they need some marking power ahead of the ball, even if his primary role is to allow Naughton more flexibility to play back or forward.

You left out the bit that answers the question as to why we REALLY didn't take him.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-28/dunkleys-draft-deal-how-josh-ended-up-at-dogs

"A recruiter, who wished to remain anonymous and is not affiliated with the Swans or Bulldogs, revealed why the Swans became the first club not to match a bid on a father-son prospect.
"The family was pretty keen to see Josh stay in Melbourne and the Swans understood that," the recruiter said.
"The Swans agreed not to match a bid from a (Victorian) club for him, only if (the bid) came from a side outside Victoria.
"It's fair to say (the Dunkleys) were very happy when Josh ended up at the Dogs."
The Swans denied at the time that they gifted Dunkley to the Bulldogs with pick 25, saying they already had similar players of his type.
Andrew Dunkley told AFL.com.au earlier this year he found the whole father-son bidding system "awkward."
"The process is a bit over the top because we have to remember they're only kids," he said.
"To go through the whole process was a bit awkward, but it's worked out beautifully because the Bulldogs are an excellent club to be involved in.
"And the beauty of him remaining in Victoria is we can watch him most weeks."

Getting better by the week and his priced both in trade and contract are going through the roof.

I would love him at the Tigs.

Would gladly give up our first and a best 22 player for him as he is exactly what we need but probably cant afford.
So your first and Bolta?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back