Traded Josh Dunkley - [Traded with F3 (Melb), F3 to Brisbane for #21, F1, F2, F4 (Geel)]

Remove this Banner Ad

If you don't have the self-discipline not to attack other posters and derail the thread with crap every other time you post, thread bans will be applied.

Mods are not here to babysit.

Reporting bad posts instead of replying to them would also be extremely helpful if you wish to continue posting here.

But I'm not starting the clock from then, so I must admit i do feel a little salty about this. Dunkley is worth a sh!tload more to both the Dogs and Brisbane than what they paid for him. If we had just done the deal for 15 and F1 and left it at that, it would still have been a steal for Brisbane. And this deal in my view is worse than that. I don't like that we rewarded the Lions for being greedy. I know that's how it goes when a player is out of contract, and I'm not going to sook it up. But it does leave a sour taste in my mouth. The fact we overpaid for Lobb doesn't help either.
Little bit late for that. I also thought you paid a fair price for Lobb considering he was in contract and also Freo's leading goalkicker.

I think the Dogs did well on the last day to get the F2 thrown in to the deal. But i think the Lions did well to turn Pick 15 into 21, knowing if they kept 15 we probably would have ended up getting it in the end. So they got more value out of the end result. Overall, it's probably a reasonable result if you start the clock from after they made the pick 15 trade.

But I'm not starting the clock from then, so I must admit i do feel a little salty about this. Dunkley is worth a sh!tload more to both the Dogs and Brisbane than what they paid for him. If we had just done the deal for 15 and F1 and left it at that, it would still have been a steal for Brisbane. And this deal in my view is worse than that. I don't like that we rewarded the Lions for being greedy. I know that's how it goes when a player is out of contract, and I'm not going to sook it up. But it does leave a sour taste in my mouth. The fact we overpaid for Lobb doesn't help either.
You're not going to sook it up But....

If Bulldogs supporters want to claim some sort of victory and want to do a lap of honour go for it. Us Brisbane supporters we can not be more pleased right now. Reviewing this trade period in it’s entirety for Brisbane is quite satisfying.

Importantly before the trade period, we knew we would have to lose pick 15 and our future first. We did not have enough points to cover Ashcroft and Fletcher, we had a crucial structural player in McStay leaving, the possibility of going into next years draft with a significant deficit, also, we did not have a player like Dunkley in our midfield to compliment what we already had. So overall we accomplished everything we set out to do and more with the poor hand we held before the trade period.

To achieve all of the above and still hold a future second, and three future thirds is an outstanding result for us. We even upgraded on McStay. Remembering that potentially we may need points next year for two KPP coming through the academy.

Will he, now?
Pick 21 and the Future Second can be traded into a first rounder so Sam got what he wanted.
We're happy that the Dunkley bandaid has been ripped off for good. The constant speculation regarding him was really shithouse and every Dogs supporter I know is glad we don’t have that crap in our club anymore. Hopefully he doesn’t do it with you guys because it’s like a cancer festering away that undermines your club culture.
All the best

Last edited:
If Bulldogs supporters want to claim some sort of victory and want to do a lap of honour go for it. Us Brisbane supporters we can not be more pleased right now. Reviewing this trade period in it’s entirety for Brisbane is quite satisfying.

Importantly before the trade period, we knew we would have to lose pick 15 and our future first. We did not have enough points to cover Ashcroft and Fletcher, we had a crucial structural player in McStay leaving, the possibility of going into next years draft with a significant deficit, also, we did not have a player like Dunkley in our midfield to compliment what we already had. So overall we accomplished everything we set out to do and more with the poor hand we held before the trade period.

To achieve all of the above and still hold a future second, and three future thirds is an outstanding result for us. We even upgraded on McStay. Remembering that potentially we may need points next year for two KPP coming through the academy.
No one is claiming any sort of victory at all - We've lost Dunkley for unders - you know it and we know it but it is what it is - all the Dogs wanted was a deal that wasn't absolutely taking the piss. The deal we got is only slightly better than taking the piss. That's OK, we all move on.
Enjoy Dunks, he's a great player.

Pick 21 and the Future Second can be traded into a first rounder so Sam got what he wanted.
We're happy.
With two thirds going back the other way?

Your list manager is a bit of a goose isn't he! Ha!
How so? He got the deal done. Do you need to bring him down in order to make yourself feel better about the deal?

We're happy.

The initial trade offer was pick 15 and FR1 for Dunkley, 30, 39 and FR3 (30 + 39 = 1075 points)

By trading down to pick 21 and a FR2, Brisbane also picked up 36, 38, 55 and 56 (= 1368 points) while losing Tom Berry (who had minimal value), and also getting two FR3s in the eventual trade.

So the Dogs rejecting the initial trade meant that Brisbane were able to gain an extra 293 points and a extra FR3 more than if it was initially accepted. It was also an offer the Dogs would accept unlike the first.

Win-win I think (obviously working under the assumption Dunkley was out).

The initial trade offer was pick 15 and FR1 for Dunkley, 30, 39 and FR3 (30 + 39 = 1075 points)

By trading down to pick 21 and a FR2, Brisbane also picked up 36, 38, 55 and 56 (= 1368 points) while losing Tom Berry (who had minimal value), and also getting two FR3s in the eventual trade.

So the Dogs rejecting the initial trade meant that Brisbane were able to gain an extra 293 points and a extra FR3 more than if it was initially accepted. It was also an offer the Dogs would accept unlike the first.

Win-win I think (obviously working under the assumption Dunkley was out).
I think even the most bias Brisbane supporter would admit your initial offer was absolutely taking the piss and was so far from the final deal. Worth having a crack though I guess.

You were within your rights to trade down 15, but what you were able to do with your Geelong pick swaps really saved the day. Honestly don’t know why the Cats gave you so much for 25, but getting Dunkley would have been extremely difficult without that trade.

Removing the F1 and 21 which were the main parts of the deal, a F2 and F4 coming back to us is worth more than 2 x F3 going out (packaging 21 and F2 can help move back into the 1st round, no one is taking 21 and 2 x F3s for a 1st rounder)

Overall this helped move 21 closer to the original 15 we asked for.

The deal is slight unders but pretty close to our original ask while you got the points you needed.

Even if you can’t split any more points this year your F2 and F3 next covers Fletcher.

Is this the right end result for you guys assuming the draft was today and there were no more pick swaps:
Dunkley, Ashcroft, Gunston and Fletcher for:
2 x 1sts
2 x 2nds
1 x 3rd
Berry
McStay

We're happy.

Dom Ambrogio showed exactly why he's one of the best in the business. Doesn't chest thump out there but he gets things done. He's made a lot of crucial moves using his past relationships with players in the last few years for us.

Lyons for free, Cal Ah Chee from GC, Neale and Dunkley now. Same with points, he was able to maneuver us around various deals and get us the points we were after which in hindsight, Ambrogio started with a poor hand.

He came pretty close to getting us into that Bowes deal as well, but Bowes decided he wanted out of QLD and it just died pretty quickly. We're very happy with Ambrogio, one of the excellent list managers out there.

I think even the most bias Brisbane supporter would admit your initial offer was absolutely taking the piss and was so far from the final deal. Worth having a crack though I guess.

You were within your rights to trade down 15, but what you were able to do with your Geelong pick swaps really saved the day. Honestly don’t know why the Cats gave you so much for 25, but getting Dunkley would have been extremely difficult without that trade.

Removing the F1 and 21 which were the main parts of the deal, a F2 and F4 coming back to us is worth more than 2 x F3 going out (packaging 21 and F2 can help move back into the 1st round, no one is taking 21 and 2 x F3s for a 1st rounder)

I do think the original offer was optimistic on our part. I think our recruiting team was aware of it too, and instead of digging their heels in, they spent a lot of time doing pick swaps that eventually achieved the same thing from a points POV, but also being more appealing for the Dogs at the same time.

Pick 25 was the highest pick that was up for grabs in terms of trading up (I don't think Essendon trades 22 before the draft), so I imagine Geelong had a lot of competition for that pick which they knew they'd need for the Henry trade.

The deal is slight unders but pretty close to our original ask while you got the points you needed.

Even if you can’t split any more points this year your F2 and F3 next covers Fletcher.

With all the points trades, the end result was that Brisbane got a deal that was a bit better than what they originally offered, and the Dogs also got closer to what they originally wanted too.

Is this the right end result for you guys assuming the draft was today and there were no more pick swaps:
2 x 1sts
2 x 2nds
1 x 3rd
Berry
McStay

The abridged summary of our trade period is:
Josh Dunkley, Jack Gunston, net +447 points (~pick 39), two future 3rds
for
Daniel McStay, Tom Berry, future 1st, future 4th

Assuming Ashcroft and Fletcher wipe out this year's and next year's picks, then yeah, it's basically what you said, give or take some of those future picks depending on where the bids come.

We're happy.
Chill.
Their list manager (Dom) came from the bulldogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do think the original offer was optimistic on our part. I think our recruiting team was aware of it too, and instead of digging their heels in, they spent a lot of time doing pick swaps that eventually achieved the same thing from a points POV, but also being more appealing for the Dogs at the same time.

Pick 25 was the highest pick that was up for grabs in terms of trading up (I don't think Essendon trades 22 before the draft), so I imagine Geelong had a lot of competition for that pick which they knew they'd need for the Henry trade.

With all the points trades, the end result was that Brisbane got a deal that was a bit better than what they originally offered, and the Dogs also got closer to what they originally wanted too.

The abridged summary of our trade period is:
Josh Dunkley, Jack Gunston, net +447 points (~pick 39), two future 3rds
for
Daniel McStay, Tom Berry, future 1st, future 4th

Assuming Ashcroft and Fletcher wipe out this year's and next year's picks, then yeah, it's basically what you said, give or take some of those future picks depending on where the bids come.
You got the points you needed, we got back what we needed to get close to our original ask.

The last 24 hours were important given your offer went from 21 and F1 for Dunkley & 39 to 21, F1 and pick upgrades next year for Dunkley. Once you involved your F2 it was always going to get done.

We can all move on and pretend this thread never existed!

2 x 1sts
2 x 2nds
1 x 3rd
Berry
McStay

Power’s level of brinkmanship was disproportionate and maybe even a little desperate - it sounded to me like Sam was under some pressure….perhaps he’s being asked to pony up some nett-positive deals for the club? 🐴

Power’s level of brinkmanship was disproportionate and maybe even a little desperate - it sounded to me like Sam was under some pressure….perhaps he’s being asked to pony up some nett-positive deals for the club? 🐴
Sam's a robot. He makes Mark Zuckerberg seem animated.
I don't think he feels human emotion.

Sam's a robot. He makes Mark Zuckerberg seem animated.
I don't think he feels human emotion.

Yeah, he’d be good at poker 🃏

I wasn’t trolling - besides setting up another pony bit (best takeaway of Trade Period!!) it was a genuine observation that he seemed desperate on this deal

I mean he might process pressure like a fighter pilot but that’s independent of whether he’s facing pressure…know what I mean?

I wasn’t trolling - besides setting up another pony bit (best takeaway of Trade Period!!) it was a genuine observation that he seemed desperate on this deal

I mean he might process pressure like a fighter pilot but that’s independent of whether he’s facing pressure…know what I mean?
I think Sam is one of the few who don't really feel much pressure, perhaps due to spending some time outside of the AFL bubble.
I know there were a few at the club who didn't take the GF loss well and were a bit frosty at the start of the year, Sam was divorced from that part of the administration.

Not sure I do.

I never saw anything like brinkmanship or desperation. We wanted a "fair deal" (in the obvious circumstances) and stuck to that resolutely. Power said afterwards it was all about getting a result, but I have no doubt that if the final offer wasn't remotely decent we'd have pulled the PSD trigger, definitely had the boards and the fans support to do so. Even knowing the end result might still be that Dunkley got to Bris for free.

I think Sam is one of the few who don't really feel much pressure, perhaps due to spending some time outside of the AFL bubble.
I know there were a few at the club who didn't take the GF loss well and were a bit frosty at the start of the year, Sam was divorced from that part of the administration.

He’s well and truely one of the best in the business. He’s a deadset gun.

…and the relevance of that?
1. You need to relax.
2. He's doing what is best for his club, as Sam did for ours. When he was with the Bulldogs he operated the same way

Direct messages to posters in a forum like this?! I think you need to relax.
If posters can't talk to other posters on an internet forum, conversation stops. Melting isn't edifying.

The Dunkley deal was done, two representatives from different clubs went head to head and got the deal done.
I don't think Dom did much that other list managers wouldn't have done in a similar situation. The opening bid was incredibly low in my opinion, but all's well that ends well and the deal got over the line, we move on.

We're happy
If our list manager is a goose, I'd take a dozen like him at our club.
Mate since he has taken over the List management responsibilities he has transformed our list, our culture, the type of players we recruit and has been critical cog and instrumental in making us a destination club. If you have to put down someone perhaps find another target.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back