Recommitted Josh Dunkley [re-signed through 2022]

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Out of curiosity, what is a 'decent pick'?
Like 15 - 25ish?
Late first I think is most likely his cost, so more likely in the 15-20 range as a minimum. If he continues his form from the end of last year, as well as what he showed in the Richmond game, then that price could fast approach the mid 1st round range (8-12). We have a lot of players of his type, so it wouldn't be the worst thing if we lost him through trade, but I'd much rather keep him around if possible

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Rumour on our board is that we inquired last year about him.
He played for our VFL team before he got drafted.
We have been linked to his brother in the mid season draft as well.
There were rumours a couple weeks ago that the club have ramped up extension talks, but if he doesn't extend before the end of the year, I can imagine he will have a number of clubs coming hard at him. Sydney, Richmond, Carlton and Essendon would all benefit massively by acquiring him, although I think it's more likely that if he does leave us, he'll stay in Victoria

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would trade our 1st rounder this year for him, exactly what we need and is a genuine dual position player IMO.

Mids who can rest forward are highly sort after.
Assuming Dunkley requested a trade to Richmond (would rather he didn't), straight swap for your 1st seems about spot on, with maybe some late pick swaps to balance it out. You guys are likely to have a pick somewhere around 9-12 at this rate (currently Pick 10) and that would surely satisfy the Dogs

Assuming Dunkley requested a trade to Richmond (would rather he didn't), straight swap for your 1st seems about spot on, with maybe some late pick swaps to balance it out. You guys are likely to have a pick somewhere around 9-12 at this rate (currently Pick 10) and that would surely satisfy the Dogs
I think early teens is about right.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
There were rumours a couple weeks ago that the club have ramped up extension talks, but if he doesn't extend before the end of the year, I can imagine he will have a number of clubs coming hard at him. Sydney, Richmond, Carlton and Essendon would all benefit massively by acquiring him, although I think it's more likely that if he does leave us, he'll stay in Victoria
Yeah he has no interest in coming to Sydney otherwise we'd have drafted him.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I imagine we'd ask between 10-15. Anything above 20 is too low.
Depends what club would be asking the price though, I suppose.

Libba attended 11 centre bounces, Wallis 9, and they both definitely looked to go forward a bit more as Dunkley had been doing in the earlier rounds. Dunkley had 14, which was the second most after Bont.
Libba was a bit of a strange one on the weekend. Almost looked to be playing hard defensively, yet pushed forward. In any case, it got Dunkley more midfield time, which a lot of people have been wanting.

Wonder if he would consider Sydney now?

Career average is 18.7 disposals and 5.5 tackles. A late teens early 20's pick would be more like it.

Career average is 18.7 disposals and 5.5 tackles. A late teens early 20's pick would be more like it.

Really kicked on second half of last season and this year as he has been played in the midfield and not half
Forward.
He's easily worth a pick between 12-15

Slackware

Debutant
May 5, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Career average? Including all the games where he played as a permanent forward? Lmaooo! That's like saying Aaron Naughton is worth a second rounder because his career average for goals looks bad!

Form matters, kid. Watch some more football.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Career average? Including all the games where he played as a permanent forward? Lmaooo! That's like saying Aaron Naughton is worth a second rounder because his career average for goals looks bad!

Form matters, kid. Watch some more football.

Well done being a flog. Good for you.

Looked at this years form and last game was the only game he reached over 30 touches. Another he got 24 and next best was 20 and the other four 18, 15, 15 and 16.

Wow!!!!

3 goals in 7 games.

Can lay a tackle.

As I suggested a solid player but a late teens early 20's is about right if he elected to move.

Well done being a flog. Good for you.

Looked at this years form and last game was the only game he reached over 30 touches. Another he got 24 and next best was 20 and the other four 18, 15, 15 and 16.

Wow!!!!

3 goals in 7 games.

Can lay a tackle.

As I suggested a solid player but a late teens early 20's is about right if he elected to move.
Because he's not been playing as a midfielder for the majority of the game, which is what he's best at. He's not a great forward, can take a mark but a shocking kick for goal. But as a midfielder, which is what he did on the weekend for most of the time he was on the field, he excels.
Let's look at his form at the back end of 2018, when he played as a midfielder.
28, 36, 26, 33, 27, 29 30, 23, 27. What a shock that he gets midfielder numbers when he plays as a midfielder.
If a team traded for him, they'd be taking him as a mid. I hope for the sake of our team he stays and actually gets to be a midfielder. Because if we traded him, I firmly believe it'd be a Josh Kennedy at the Swans situation.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Why would his career average be relevant? He started out as a forward, now playing inside mid.

The last third of 2018, he averaged:
30 disposals
4.9 marks
6.1 tackles
3 inside 50s
0.86 goal assists per game

Last week, he got:
35 disposals @ 85.7%
8 marks
5 clearances
8 tackles
5 inside-50s

Looking at his career average is very misleading since he was playing an entirely different role and position. His form playing as an inside mid will be far more relevant considering that's likely the role a club will recruit him for

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
Because he's not been playing as a midfielder for the majority of the game, which is what he's best at. He's not a great forward, can take a mark but a shocking kick for goal. But as a midfielder, which is what he did on the weekend for most of the time he was on the field, he excels.
Let's look at his form at the back end of 2018, when he played as a midfielder.
28, 36, 26, 33, 27, 29 30, 23, 27. What a shock that he gets midfielder numbers when he plays as a midfielder.
If a team traded for him, they'd be taking him as a mid. I hope for the sake of our team he stays and actually gets to be a midfielder. Because if we traded him, I firmly believe it'd be a Josh Kennedy at the Swans situation.
He's a shocking kick in general. That's why your coach wanted to hide him in the forward line where he'd do the least damage to your team.

He's a shocking kick in general. That's why your coach wanted to hide him in the forward line where he'd do the least damage to your team.
He is. It's worse visually than what it results in though. He usually plays it pretty safe with his kicking around the field, unless he just goes down the line. Set shot at goal is definitely a lot worse.
But that's not why he plays forward. He plays forward because he's big and can take a mark and our forward line is ******* s**t at even generating shots on goal. So at least if he marks it we've got a chance. And we have a lot of mids.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
His kicking is easily his biggest weakness, but for what it's worth, his disposal efficiency was at 85.7% last week so he's hopefully improving on it (although still dogshit compared to the average). I think most clubs would recognise that his role is to brute force his way through packs, extract the ball, and distribute to better users. Would really suit a side with some decent outside players (like Richmond for example)

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I love Dunks but certainly plays a position where we have some depth.

As someone who should have a fair bit of value, I wouldn't mind trying to fix our other weaknesses. Maybe some centered around Aaron Francis? Picks to even it up. Dogs get a KPD and Essendon get their big bodied mid.

Of course if he is able to play full time mid like Saturday night I wouldn't even think about trading him. Probably means more forward time for Bont though.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I love Dunks but certainly plays a position where we have some depth.

As someone who should have a fair bit of value, I wouldn't mind trying to fix our other weaknesses. Maybe some centered around Aaron Francis? Picks to even it up. Dogs get a KPD and Essendon get their big bodied mid.

Of course if he is able to play full time mid like Saturday night I wouldn't even think about trading him. Probably means more forward time for Bont though.
If more forward time for Bont means he's getting games like his 27 disposal, 3 goal performance on the weekend, then I'm happy for Dunks to be full time mid. I think that's where his value lies for us, anyway. He's a bog average forward with a good mark and bad kick. Will be worth a decent amount for teams chasing big inside midfielders

Back