Josh Elliott 2017 Phantom Draft

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
They would bid there because they want him there and no other reason.
Looks like you didnt get what im trying to say.

Do you think that the Doggies would seriously believe they can get Naish at #16 when Richmond have the next pick and another 2 more within the next 9 picks ?

Answer would be NO and it would be seen as just making Richmond pay with their 1st selection and it would be remembered for the future - As it should

Do you think that the Doggies would seriously believe they can get Naish at #16 when Richmond have the next pick and another 2 more within the next 9 picks ?

Answer would be NO and it would be seen as just making Richmond pay with their 1st selection and it would be remembered for the future - As it should
I got what you mean, I just don't agree and couldn't be bothered going into detail. But * it, I'm not doing anything else interesting.

First, there's no way for one club to know how who another club rates. See Josh Dunkley in 2015. Sydney could have easily matched with later, more useless picks. They didn't. Yeah we can probably guess that Richmond will match, but without knowing for sure it'd stupid to ignore a player we rate as the next best. Even if we think there's only a 1% chance they don't match, we've lost nothing by trying. And so it's not because we want to screw over Richmond (what would be the point of that?), it's because we want Naish.

Secondly, I think there's more than a 1% chance you don't match, depending on who is on the board, because you have the next pick. If there's someone you rate higher than Naish still available, then you'd likely pass on Naish to take them. Brander maybe, or Allen. Who knows, could be anyone. The only reason you wouldn't do this is if you want to bet on them lasting to 20, but it's quite the risk and if it's someone you really rate you won't take that risk. So there's a reasonable chance if we bid on Naish we do actually get him. Not a huge chance, but it's there. Again, we'd be dumb not to try, and it's got nothing to do with screwing Richmond over.

So yes, you probably match. But there is a chance you don't, and we've lost nothing by trying. We'd bid because we want him, not because of some desire to * with you.

As for this "revenge bid" thing you think you guys would do - no chance. It's a petty dumb move and no professional club would risk screwing themselves over by trying it.

Langers is Life

Team Captain
Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
GWS
We've got a few but I wouldn't say we've got an abundance. Is Naish quick? That's what we need, desperately.
I havent watched much of him but a lot of people have said that pace is his biggest weakness. From what i watched he gets in good positions so he very rarely needs speed

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

So what you're saying is the Academy clubs should remember all those times Richmond bid on their players and revenge bid on them, 'as they should'? Got it.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Kennedy & Hipwood were open slather Academy picks are hardly the same as father son selections

Specially when the selection is #16 compared to #17 - Cant see how difficult it is to understand what im saying here but i suppose its just taking the alternative view by some.

Lets just put it this way , If for some reason Richmond have pick #16 next year and the Doggies have #17,#20,#25 and Richmond were to bid #16 on west im sure the doggies also wouldnt look too happy about that and this type of bidding will be looked upon in not such a good way

But if the Doggies were to bid say #9 then the assumption would be they generally rate him highly and want the player and would throw down the challenge to Richmond to see if he is worth the tigers taking him.

But in all honesty i cant see naish getting a bid before #23

Kennedy & Hipwood were open slather Academy picks are hardly the same as father son selections

Specially when the selection is #16 compared to #17 - Cant see how difficult it is to understand what im saying here but i suppose its just taking the alternative view by some.

Lets just put it this way , If for some reason Richmond have pick #16 next year and the Doggies have #17,#20,#25 and Richmond were to bid #16 on west im sure the doggies also wouldnt look too happy about that and this type of bidding will be looked upon in not such a good way

But if the Doggies were to bid say #9 then the assumption would be they generally rate him highly and want the player and would throw down the challenge to Richmond to see if he is worth the tigers taking him.

But in all honesty i cant see naish getting a bid before #23
Academy picks work exactly the same as father-son picks.

And it's not difficult to understand, it's just nonsense.

If we wanted to use #17 to take him we would. If there was someone we wanted more we'd leave him. Either way we wouldn't hold some pissy grudge against Richmond.

No offence mate but this is clearly just you trying to convince yourself that you'll get him on the cheap. What you're saying makes no sense. I mean, we might not bid on him, sure - if there's someone else we like better. But if he's the best left in our opinion we'll bid.

Anyway I'm just repeating myself, no need to keep doing so. Agree to disagree I guess. Last thing I'll say. Good luck on draft day.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I got what you mean, I just don't agree and couldn't be bothered going into detail. But **** it, I'm not doing anything else interesting.

First, there's no way for one club to know how who another club rates. See Josh Dunkley in 2015. Sydney could have easily matched with later, more useless picks. They didn't. Yeah we can probably guess that Richmond will match, but without knowing for sure it'd stupid to ignore a player we rate as the next best. Even if we think there's only a 1% chance they don't match, we've lost nothing by trying. And so it's not because we want to screw over Richmond (what would be the point of that?), it's because we want Naish.

Secondly, I think there's more than a 1% chance you don't match, depending on who is on the board, because you have the next pick. If there's someone you rate higher than Naish still available, then you'd likely pass on Naish to take them. Brander maybe, or Allen. Who knows, could be anyone. The only reason you wouldn't do this is if you want to bet on them lasting to 20, but it's quite the risk and if it's someone you really rate you won't take that risk. So there's a reasonable chance if we bid on Naish we do actually get him. Not a huge chance, but it's there. Again, we'd be dumb not to try, and it's got nothing to do with screwing Richmond over.

So yes, you probably match. But there is a chance you don't, and we've lost nothing by trying. We'd bid because we want him, not because of some desire to **** with you.

As for this "revenge bid" thing you think you guys would do - no chance. It's a petty dumb move and no professional club would risk screwing themselves over by trying it.

If we wanted to use #17 to take him we would. If there was someone we wanted more we'd leave him. Either way we wouldn't hold some pissy grudge against Richmond.

No offence mate but this is clearly just you trying to convince yourself that you'll get him on the cheap. What you're saying makes no sense. I mean, we might not bid on him, sure - if there's someone else we like better. But if he's the best left in our opinion we'll bid.

Anyway I'm just repeating myself, no need to keep doing so. Agree to disagree I guess. Last thing I'll say. Good luck on draft day.

not really mate i dont rate him, your more than welcome to look through my post
i watch a bit of juniors and dont rate him below 25-30

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
So what you're saying is the Academy clubs should remember all those times Richmond bid on their players and revenge bid on them, 'as they should'? Got it.
Just going to point out every club has academies now. Brisbane, Gold Coast and Collingwood can't wait until North have highly rated NextGen academy kid to revenge bid on.

Just watch the reaction of the North Melbourne recruiters and tell me they really wanted Declan Watson.

sydney eagle

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Sydney Rabbitohs
I don't profess to know much about the young players but, looking at the writeups I think that the Eagles should take Constable or Hunter Clark rather than Bonar, those two seem to be more the type of players that they need.

Vikingblood

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 4, 2012
Catfish City
AFL Club
Adelaide

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ive consistently seen Fogarty projected to us, and yet I still don't see how 3 teams with 2 top 10 draft picks don't pick him up.

His knock was a poor U18 championship (by his standards), and a mild knee injury. But hey, If that's enough to get him to the Crows I'll be walking on sunshine!

HalloweenJack

All Australian
Mar 19, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth Arsenal New York Yankees

I am loving your exchanges. You are so far ahead it is not funny.

I would love for the Blues to bid 10 on him just for the lols.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
The thing is Doggies will know that they will have no chance to get Naish at #16Richmond have #17,#20,#25 ffs and for Doggies to match that would be just making the team use their 1st pick to be a ***** of a club and for no other reason. And West will be looked at very very seriously if that were to happen with the circumstances i mentioned above - But hey if you rate Naish that highly no issue with Doggies bidding #9 to get him and they can have him at that selection.

#16 will be for Richards imo
Wow just wow. you are deluded, just like when the Dogs bid on Josh Dunkley and Darcy Moore, it was because the Dogs wanted them, not out of unkown spite

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Like the Bonar pick for West Coast Josh. It's a little bit out of left field but suits our list needs as well.

Can imagine us looking for a safer player at 13 but. Not that Bonar isn't safe but there's that question mark surrounding his 2 ACL's.

Love the Dow selection for Fremantle at 2. I'm all over this if LDU is taken at 1 as well, nice balanced midfield game.

1 knock I'd say is Coffield is a fraction to late, Collingwood at 6 or Saints at 7 and 8 shouldn't pass him up and Hayes is a bit early. Not a common theme for rucks to be top 10 anymore. Tim English last year and Brodie Grundy from a few years back are examples of rucks that slid.

In saying that I reckon if Melbourne still held pick 10 he'd be in there considerations for a young ruckman.

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
If Darcy Fogarty makes it to pick 10 I will throw a party.

Dream draft will be LDU + Fogarty for the Blues

Back