Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Now both their careers are both essentially over who was the better defender?

I'm biased when it comes to Gibson, but he was near on unstoppable in his time at Hawthorn.

Literally every week the opposition coaches tried some sort of tactic to drag him back to the square or out to the flank so that he couldn't impact other contests in their forward line, but it consistently failed.
He had defensive forwards play on him, tall forwards, resting mids who would push up the ground...and he'd still drop off his man, and go and kill the ball, despite being the go-to defender for champion players like Riewoldt, Franklin and Pavlich.

2x B&F winner in premiership years(in a team with a bunch of players who will be hall of fame inductees) sums up how bloody good he was.

Different kinds of defenders. Both great players. I'd take a prime Gibson though for sure, could play on a bigger range of forwards and impacted the contest more I rekn.

Strange poll comparing two very different type of defenders.

About par all things considered.

Shaw might be better compared to Grant Birchall and again I would think them to be about on par.

Bias would sway me towards the hawks boys though :)

I'm biased when it comes to Gibson, but he was near on unstoppable in his time at Hawthorn.

Literally every week the opposition coaches tried some sort of tactic to drag him back to the square or out to the flank so that he couldn't impact other contests in their forward line, but it consistently failed.
He had defensive forwards play on him, tall forwards, resting mids who would push up the ground...and he'd still drop off his man, and go and kill the ball, depsite being the go-to defender for champion players like Riewoldt, Franklin and Pavlich.

2x B&F winner in premiership years(in a team with a bunch of players who will be hall of fame inductees) sums up how bloody good he was.

✅

Josh Gibson more intercept and Shaw more run. both good in their position would give the edge to Gibson though.

Can't really compare like for like, such different players.
Both great players at their peaks.

Back