Recommitted Josh Kelly [will be a GIANT for life, has signed 8 year extension]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Handy stack of players becoming FA's in 2021: Bont, Cripps, Merrett and Kelly. Underscores the quality of the 2013 draft.

A lot will come down to how GWS rebound this year. If they can launch into the top 4 I can see Kelly re-signing another short term deal, but the more likely scenario is they scrape into the 8 and he seeks greater pastures.

Going to be a hell of a lot of interest with a number of Vic clubs opening up a fair bit of cap space over the off-season. Also keen to see if he or Merrett receives the largest offer. Stylistically pretty similar players, of similar quality. (Kelly slightly better, Merrett much more durable)

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He'll be matched at any price so the RFA will be mute. Expect if north finish last and he nominates them. Pick 1 will be the price for sure. However I think he will probably go for a team contending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Last edited:

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
He'll be matched at any price so the RFA will be mute. Expect if north finish last and he nominates them. Pick 1 will be the price for sure. However I think he will probably go for a team contending.

No he wont.

This isn't the Cameron situation.

The deal is $1m P.A for the next 8 years...….. GWS want that noose removed from their neck.

We are also far more likely to have an early pick in the PSD draft compared to Geelong this year with 16 other clubs ahead of them.

I think this is far more similar to the Treloar/Crouch situation than the Cameron one.

GWS probably have about 4-5 of the worst 10 contracts in the AFL on their books at the minute.

Depending how low GWS finish, Band 1 compo might be sufficient if they finish next season worse than this season. Especially in a stronger draft.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
No he wont.

The deal is $1m P.A for the next 8 years...….. GWS want that noose removed from their neck.

We are also far more likely to have an early pick in the PSD draft compared to Geelong this year with 16 other clubs ahead of them.

I think this is far more similar to the Treloar/Crouch situation than the Cameron one.

GWS probably have about 4-5 of the worst 10 contracts in the AFL on their books at the minute.

Depending how low GWS finish, Band 1 compo might be sufficient if they finish next season worse than this season. Especially in a stronger draft.

Garbage, we have the money to pay him.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
No he wont.

What absolute rot.

No he wont.

i very very VERY much doubt Kelly wants to go to North....

He will go to someone on the up or is already contending.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
i very very VERY much doubt Kelly wants to go to Norf....

He will go to someone on the up or is already contending.

More than likely.

But I very very VERY much doubt GWS wants Kelly for 8yrs @ $1m per season.

2028 is a long way away.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
You have no idea what the contract is.

Are we playing this game now?

Because we don't have the contract in front of us we can't talk and speculate on it?

It's been widely reported by multiple journo's:

1606089601638.png

1606089631995.png

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Are we playing this game now?

Because we don't have the contract in front of us we can't talk and speculate on it?

It's been widely reported by multiple journo's:

View attachment 1016875

View attachment 1016876

Can speculate as much as you and we can want.

Saying it’s definitely a certain figure for a certain length says otherwise.

Journos yeah they are always in the ball. I have no doubt there is a sizeable contract sitting awaiting his signing.
Do I think it’s what you are saying? No.
Probably long term but closer to what he is on now (850k) than a million.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Can speculate as much as you and we can want.

Saying it’s definitely a certain figure for a certain length says otherwise.

Journos yeah they are always in the ball. I have no doubt there is a sizeable contract sitting awaiting his signing.
Do I think it’s what you are saying? No.
Probably long term but closer to what he is on now (850k) than a million.

I don't think the money difference is necessary a huge factor.

It's the length of contract.

Are you disputing the 2029 contract end?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back