Recommitted Josh Kelly [will be a GIANT for life, has signed 8 year extension]

Dec 18, 2005
Barstow, Cal14nia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
GAVROI MOUNIA... GAMW TON PIRAEA
Probably correct but i think i would take Kelly over Merrett if i was Carlton list manager and both were available

I've thought long and hard about it and I still struggle to split them in terms of preference (if we were ever able to secure one).

Both would be unbelievable additions to our 22, but the logistics of getting any deal done w/ either side would vary:

• Essendon likely to finish lower than GWS and may accept a top 5/6 pick as FA Compensation for Merrett?

• GWS may be more keen to get Kelly's salary off their books (if the cap situation is as dire as the media presents) and therfore may be more flexible to deal with via trade? (on the proviso that FA Compensation isn't suitable).

Dec 18, 2005
Barstow, Cal14nia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
You confident we can retain both Cripps and McKay ? Would much rather we lock those 2 away first before we start sniffing around the FA/OOC market.

All we can go by is Cain Liddle's comments about us still having underspend and being a major player in FA this year.

It's always dangerous to assume, but I think he would be making these projections based on keeping Cripps and McKay.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
[*]GWS may be more keen to get Kelly's salary off their books (if the cap situation is as dire as the media presents) and therfore may be more flexible to deal with via trade? (on the proviso that FA Compensation isn't suitable).
[/LIST]

What cap situation?

We offered big contracts to Cameron and a few others that were rejected and they went to their home states. We brought in 2 guys on low contracts who wanted to prove themselves or get another chance.

Would say we have no issue with cap at the moment. Better than it’s been for sometime really.

Less so than plenty of others.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2005
Barstow, Cal14nia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
What cap situation?

We offered big contracts to Cameron and a few others that were rejected and they went to their home states. We brought in 2 guys on low contracts who wanted to prove themselves or get another chance.

Good call - I forgot to factor in the loss of Cameron and co.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I've thought long and hard about it and I still struggle to split them in terms of preference (if we were ever able to secure one).

Both would be unbelievable additions to our 22, but the logistics of getting any deal done w/ either side would vary:

• Essendon likely to finish lower than GWS and may accept a top 5/6 pick as FA Compensation for Merrett?

• GWS may be more keen to get Kelly's salary off their books (if the cap situation is as dire as the media presents) and therfore may be more flexible to deal with via trade? (on the proviso that FA Compensation isn't suitable).

Just 1 word

DODORO

Dec 18, 2005
Barstow, Cal14nia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Are you sure about Jack Martin getting a decrease? It's my understanding that Carlton dramatically restructured his deal after it became apparent that he was going to be disproportionately disadvantaged by the Covid wage scaling that occurred on 2020.

This article was released today which states that he lost around $300k from his front loaded salary last year and that his management, AFLPA and the AFL took care of the issue.

Martin was therefore disproportionately affected, losing in the vicinity of $300,000 last year. While the AFL and players’ association initiated a special fund for players like Martin, whose 2020 salary was substantially above their annual salary, Martin confirmed he had still been a significant financial loser from COVID-19.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Who would be the most enthusiastic suitor for Kelly? Carlton? Collingwood? Richmond? Geelong?
Thats an interesting question

I think 'IF' Josh Kelly's stomach is full and not looking for the biggest pay packet and willing to accept 5x$800k
Richmond could be a perfect fit for him.

But other teams would be able to offer more cash

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Thats an interesting question

I think 'IF' Josh Kelly's stomach is full and not looking for the biggest pay packet and willing to accept 5x$800k
Richmond could be a perfect fit for him.

But other teams would be able to offer more cash
Who would be willing and able to pay more while being close enough to contention for it to make sense?

Is it really worth North, Hawthorn or Essendon offering him 1 million a year?

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Who would be willing and able to pay more while being close enough to contention for it to make sense?

Is it really worth North, Hawthorn or Essendon offering him 1 million a year?
These days most rebuilding team think its a 2-3 year build and he would still be young enough
the fact that its only cap space which these teams would have the most available.

But out of the top 8/9 teams
Cats - No
Port - No
Lions - He wouldnt go to another interstate team
Pies - Heading the wrong way and apparently treloar didnt get looked after to well
Dogs - Full house in the midfield
Melbourne - Maybe but i think they might struggle with cap soon
St Kilda - As above
Eagles - See lions and no space in the cap
Carlton - Maybe

Tigers would be a good fit imo

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
These days most rebuilding team think its a 2-3 year build and he would still be young enough
the fact that its only cap space which these teams would have the most available.

But out of the top 8/9 teams
Cats - No
Port - No
Lions - He wouldnt go to another interstate team
Pies - Heading the wrong way and apparently treloar didnt get looked after to well
Dogs - Full house in the midfield
Melbourne - Maybe but i think they might struggle with cap soon
St Kilda - As above
Eagles - See lions and no space in the cap
Carlton - Maybe

Tigers would be a good fit imo
The Tigers would be a good fit for anyone. Do they have significantly more room in the cap than WC, Melbourne or St Kilda?

I reckon most sides could find a way to cover a five-year backended deal. I don't expect many teams would have players signed up until 2025-26 at this stage.
For sure, but we would also find it easier than most given we have far more imminent retirements.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
For sure, but we would also find it easier than most given we have far more imminent retirements.
How many retirements do you need to accommodate one player on 800k a year?

WC currently don't have much cap space but if you assume Hurn, Kennedy and Redden finish in the next two seasons, that's plenty. I suspect you could look at any team and make similar calculations.

How many retirements do you need to accommodate one player on 800k a year?

WC currently don't have much cap space but if you assume Hurn, Kennedy and Redden finish in the next two seasons, that's plenty. I suspect you could look at any team and make similar calculations.
Yeah that's fair enough. The cap discussion is probably a red herring in general.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
The Tigers would be a good fit for anyone. Do they have significantly more room in the cap than WC, Melbourne or St Kilda?
With the players coming to the end in Houli , Jack , Edwards , Astbury , Cotchin etc who will be getting less money on 1 year deals im sure we do
We were apparently into Crouch last year and thats before Higgins asked to leave

billyboutsis

All Australian
Sep 23, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton
Are we to expect a significant decrease in output from Jack Martin too over the next few years, given the heavily front loaded contract?

He would not fit the profile of a player id consider heavily front loading a long term deal

As for Kelly, i very much doubt any Melb club would offer more than 5 years at 800k (even that is overs on recent output) or so, possibly with option of trigger for another if conditions are met. If North were to overpay merely because of cap space it would be pretty daft of them

Back