Recommitted Josh Kelly [will be a GIANT for life, has signed 8 year extension]

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I reckon most clubs could handle an extra player on 800k provided they backend the deal.
We actually have shed a fair few players the last 3 years
Conca , Ellis , Markov , Higgins , Rance ,C.Ellis and dont think we would actually need to backend the deal as Houli will also most likely retire
We have really only added Lynch.

Its only this year that the younger players like Balta , Bolton , Baker , Graham will be earning better $$$ but have had the cash from the other players with some obviously getting distributed.

Im thinking if we were into Crouch at $550k-$600k then with the retirement of Houli and the departures this really wouldnt be too hard

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Your club wouldn’t be doing it’s job if it wasn’t asking the question of players like Kelly, Cripps and Merrett etc. Wouldnt be shocked if Joel Selwood is still on 800k and retires at the end of the year and Geelong just go in on a guy who’ll give us another 6 years in the top half of the ladder. They’re clearly all in for the now.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Your club wouldn’t be doing it’s job if it wasn’t asking the question of players like Kelly, Cripps and Merrett etc. Wouldnt be shocked if Joel Selwood is still on 800k and retires at the end of the year and Geelong just go in on a guy who’ll give us another 6 years in the top half of the ladder. They’re clearly all in for the now.
Selwood is just entering the age group the cats are after and he wont retire for another 2 years

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
This deal is a total disaster for GWS, who is Josh Kelly's manager that did this deal would be laughing all the way to the bank! :tearsofjoy: completely in the players favour.

I bet the Giants are hoping he doesn't sign this deal.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
If he has half a brain he takes the 8m/8yr deal at the giants. It's just too good to pass up. Filthy rich playing footy. Easy money
He already has enough cash he has earned in the last 7/8 years

he wont get more than a 5 year deal and maybe better to take $200k a year less (probably $120k after tax)
come back home to melbourne (city) and win a flag

If he goes to Richmond and they win the flag you would have to think that would be a breaking point for many people
If a club like Richmond or west coast can fit in a Kelly or Cripps that’s just good cap management

We have cleared space and have picks so we have the option of another big fish or rebuilding on the run

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
We actually have shed a fair few players the last 3 years
Conca , Ellis , Markov , Higgins , Rance ,C.Ellis and dont think we would actually need to backend the deal as Houli will also most likely retire
We have really only added Lynch.

Its only this year that the younger players like Balta , Bolton , Baker , Graham will be earning better $$$ but have had the cash from the other players with some obviously getting distributed.

Im thinking if we were into Crouch at $550k-$600k then with the retirement of Houli and the departures this really wouldnt be too hard
I am not going to claim to know the Tigers cap situation so they may have cap space who knows, but outside of Rance and Ellis most of those guys would not have been on a lot of coin. So those list spots being replaced by draftees would have freed up minimal cap space.

I expect he will have a range of options from teams who believe they can get better value contract wise by the lure of potential team success all the way to sides that want to lock in elite talent early paying multiple millions up front because they won't have success in the short term at least.

Anywhere from: Richmond with 5 years at $550,000 all the way to North with $2.5m for 3 then a further 2.5 million over the next four.

id happily pay him what he wants as long as don’t have to give up our first this or next year for him.

Kelly on one wing and Polec on the other is a good start.
If we get kelly goodbye Polec

Gws can take Polec for free for not matching our offer to Kelly

Kelly one wing stevo the other

The Pleb

Debutant
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I feel like he's more likely to leave in a treloar-type situation than via free agency. There's no way he should turn down that contract. He'd still be making $1m a year at 34, he's not getting that from anyone else.

Plus once GWS sack Cameron there's every chance they turn it around, so if he wants to be competitive it's probably still the best option if all he's got available is North, Hawthorn and Essendon for comparitive money.

The romantic in me still wants him at North though.

daird

All Australian
Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
It's fun to think about but I can't see Richmond going for any more big names, you can only fit in so many $700k+ players into your list before it really starts to hurt.

Josh Kelly would need a massive pay-cut to come to Richmond.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I am not going to claim to know the Tigers cap situation so they may have cap space who knows, but outside of Rance and Ellis most of those guys would not have been on a lot of coin. So those list spots being replaced by draftees would have freed up minimal cap space.
Corey Ellis & Jack Higgins were both 1st round draft picks that were into their 2nd contracts. As with most clubs these 1st round picks get significant increases after their initial 2 years. Corey Ellis would easily have been on 300k and Higgins having played good footy in his first 2 years even more but $700k for both would be around the mark. It sounds crazy in hindsight but think of say Will Day when he comes to renew now he would be on similar and Higgins was very good in his 2 years

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we get kelly goodbye Polec

Gws can take Polec for free for not matching our offer to Kelly

Kelly one wing stevo the other

I know you hate Polec, I don’t need your constant bitching about 1 or 2 soft efforts when he is the only player with skill and pace.

get over it, he’s a ******* gun, and will only improve once we improve.

with all the cats we have, can you not focus your attention on improving them, rather constantly cutting down one of handful of elite performers.

He isn’t jmac or Gibbo, he isn’t Turner, Tyson, Atley or Hall.

we still have 5 to get rid of, having finally seen the back of Jamie.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Corey Ellis & Jack Higgins were both 1st round draft picks that were into their 2nd contracts. As with most clubs these 1st round picks get significant increases after their initial 2 years. Corey Ellis would easily have been on 300k and Higgins having played good footy in his first 2 years even more but $700k for both would be around the mark. It sounds crazy in hindsight but think of say Will Day when he comes to renew now he would be on similar and Higgins was very good in his 2 years
Yea but it doesn’t free up 300k because that lost spot still needs to be replaced.

I would be surprised if after the pay increases to those guys mentioned in the previous post it left much excess salary. Would have to wait and see though.

Back