Recommitted Josh Kelly [will be a GIANT for life, has signed 8 year extension]

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Lynch is the only big name recruit I can think of in recent years who actually won a flag.

Judd
Ablett
Franklin
Dangerfield

no flags combined (at their new clubs)

there have been examples of trades which helped win flags, Prestia, Boyd, Yeo. But they all came at reasonable costs

and there have also been free agent signings which have contributed to flags. Frawley for example

but they weren’t big names.

there’s actually reason to believe that going balls out on a big name to be the messiah is not the way to go.
Two of those actually played in grand finals though. Ablett was probably unlucky GC turned to s**t and never had to actually trade for him. Boyd although he had no runs on the board was a huge trade amd cost a heap. Burgoyne was another big name recruit who cost a lot.
West Coast and Richmond 17 could be argued are the only teams in the last 8 years to win a flag without a massive recruit/trade.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Richmond 17

I believe you've forgotten Richmond Champion & Life Member Josh Caddy

Josh-Caddy.jpg

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Any chance of some discussion about GWS player Josh Kelly?
Could/would GWS pull their massive offer or is he a must keep at any cost for them? I wonder if secretly they wouldn’t mind him going to get them out of the $$$ he’s been promised. The size and length is a bit concerning from the outside and his firm the past 18 month doesn’t warrant it. They’d want to very sure he really wants to stay and is going to just coast.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Could/would GWS pull their massive offer or is he a must keep at any cost for them? I wonder if secretly they wouldn’t mind him going to get them out of the $$$ he’s been promised. The size and length is a bit concerning from the outside and his firm the past 18 month doesn’t warrant it. They’d want to very sure he really wants to stay and is going to just coast.

If I was GWS I'd be pretty happy for him to leave, that contract plus Coniglio's really hurts them long-term, along with having a few other guys like Whitfield on long-term contracts that can't be cheap. They might need to do a bit of a Collingwood.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Are they able to? The contract was signed in 2019, presumably the option is only for Kelly, not for GWS.

If I was GWS I'd be pretty happy for him to leave, that contract plus Coniglio's really hurts them long-term, along with having a few other guys like Whitfield on long-term contracts that can't be cheap. They might need to do a bit of a Collingwood.

Kelly has had much poorer years since in 2017 when he was touted as a 1 million a year player.

has not played more than 20 games a year since 2017 and has significant drop off stats wise.

Id very much think GWS would like to get out of an 8 year/8 million dollar deal and i'm not sure what team is going to offer him Josh Kelly 2017 money.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Kelly has had much poorer years since in 2017 when he was touted as a 1 million a year player.

has not played more than 20 games a year since 2017 and has significant drop off stats wise.

Id very much think GWS would like to get out of an 8 year/8 million dollar deal and i'm not sure what team is going to offer him Josh Kelly 2017 money.
Agree - this is one of the best contracts ever signed. If Vic clubs won’t get close to what he is on he stays. He gets paid either way.

Agree - this is one of the best contracts ever signed. If Vic clubs won’t get close to what he is on he stays. He gets paid either way.

well he will still get good coin i guess. But the 2016/2017 Nth Melbourne type offer is long gone I would say.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Clubs need to learn not to give these ridiculous contracts...7+ years is a loooong time and every chance a players form drops and output doesn't match the price tag. The game itself changes alot in 7 years with all the rule changes etc. Always the risk of injuries too.

Kelly, coniglio, Grundy are a few that don't look good currently. De goey would be on the list if he accepted norths offer.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Clubs need to learn not to give these ridiculous contracts...7+ years is a loooong time and every chance a players form drops and output doesn't match the price tag. The game itself changes alot in 7 years with all the rule changes etc. Always the risk of injuries too.

Kelly, coniglio, Grundy are a few that don't look good currently. De goey would be on the list if he accepted norths offer.
We’re currently only willing to give the Bont 5 years for this reason.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

Dusty is the standout he is in his 4th year of 7 year deal and has been worth every penny then some
He turns 30 in june and will be 33 when out of contract next time and probably go on a year by year after that

Can see him playing until 36/37 as he is extremely durable and will play his 250th game next week just 6 games into his 12th year
missed a total of less than 10 games

Dusty is the standout he is in his 4th year of 7 year deal and has been worth every penny then some
He turns 30 in june and will be 33 when out of contract next time and probably go on a year by year after that

Can see him playing until 36/37 as he is extremely durable and will play his 250th game next week just 6 games into his 12th year
missed a total of less than 10 games

stand out and then some.

he has been amazing.

Would be thrilled to keep Kelly at the 2019 agreed terms. Sure, it's expensive, but he's literally the most important player we have ever had at our club.
Toby Greene’s the most important player you’ve ever had, I’d argue jezza cameron next

The good news for Kelly is he has that 1mil a year guarantee to stay if he wants so whatever happens he’s going to be on top dollar as teams will also pay big to get him as a free agent

Back