Recommitted Josh Kelly [will be a GIANT for life, has signed 8 year extension]

Remove this Banner Ad

BigFatNorthFan

Senior List
Oct 9, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think this was the guts of the decision to match on Cameron too (which I thought was shrewd). You knew they had all those later first rounders and you were a damned good shot of getting all of them with the draft position Geelong had. They had banked on him for an immediate shot at a premiership so it was never going to be a risk for them. For North on the other hand (if Kelly makes that choice) I think we'll say pick 1/2 is non-negotiable and you'll agree, a top ten pick from the AFL will be accepted even if not the best haul but we'll continue a good trade relationship. Unless, of course, you just say "Josh you're ours" and you're happier to keep him even if begrudgingly. Otherwise there's just not the pressure on North in a deal as there was with Geelong last year.

I think they'd be after our 2022 first tbh.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
I think they'd be after our 2022 first tbh.

Possible, but they might see more value on three top ten picks this year (through packaging or bringing in three players from the same draft) than gambling on our 2022 season.

BigFatNorthFan

Senior List
Oct 9, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Possible, but they might see more value on three top ten picks this year (through packaging or bringing in three players from the same draft) than gambling on our 2022 season.

Too early to assume their pick and hypothetical compo pick would be top 10 imo, especially if you're accounting for them being pushed back by Daicos and/or Darcy bids. And having two earlyish picks this year if anything I reckon would make them more keen to spread across multiple years (it's not like getting multiple players in the same year helped them keep Caldwell or Hately). But they're a hard team to predict, given that picks aren't quite valued the same by them as they would be other clubs.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We won’t match with North as it’s a fair
To good bet it’ll be more than our offer.

But if he goes to a contender for less then yes we would match.
I think it's likely that the current agreement would prevent you matching.

If Kelly has a stay clause, he would probably have a go clause too.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Too early to assume their pick and hypothetical compo pick would be top 10 imo, especially if you're accounting for them being pushed back by Daicos and/or Darcy bids. And having two earlyish picks this year if anything I reckon would make them more keen to spread across multiple years (it's not like getting multiple players in the same year helped them keep Caldwell or Hately). But they're a hard team to predict, given that picks aren't quite valued the same by them as they would be other clubs.

For sure, can only base on the current situation. We might not end up with pick 1.

BigFatNorthFan

Senior List
Oct 9, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For sure, can only base on the current situation. We might not end up with pick 1.

True. Fixtures don't make it seem like there's a lot of wins left on the board for either us or the Hawks, so us getting 2 and them 0 is certainly possible. Can't see doing any better than that and I don't know that we'd be keen to trade pick 2 either.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
True. Fixtures don't make it seem like there's a lot of wins left on the board for either us or the Hawks, so us getting 2 and them 0 is certainly possible. Can't see doing any better than that and I don't know that we'd be keen to trade pick 2 either.

TBH I'm more worried about GC than the Hawks.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Terrible list management if a club has agreed to a “go clause” as well.
Not really, any decent partnership agreement or employment contract has both.

I'd be more concerned about offering an option for a huge extension, though obviously we don't know the conditions. It was presumably linked to performance requirements, which may or may not have been met.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

I'd be more concerned about offering an option for a huge extension, though obviously we don't know the conditions. It was presumably linked to performance requirements, which may or may not have been met.

I’d be more concerned about an exit agreement.

Huge? Not really. Many years for sure.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

What are you suggesting would be in an exit clause for this deal?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
We also have Fahey in our academy who we'll have to match between 10-13, so having open picks there is risky enough for us as is, I'd think we'd be looking for 2022 first rounder and 2021 second rounder from any team wanting him if we elected to match

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jugada

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Gee if you believe Kelly has all these clauses in his contract to get him out of there if he wants he must have basically been out the door last time. Can't imagine GWS would have given him that much control though

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Gee if you believe Kelly has all these clauses in his contract to get him out of there if he wants he must have basically been out the door last time. Can't imagine GWS would have given him that much control though
Most believe they gave him an option to extend, it is hardly a stretch to think they would also give him an option to leave? They kind of go hand in hand.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep 100%.

But he has the talent.

Will be an interesting few months.

Feel strange about it as I would be happy if he stayed but not gutted if he left.
I'd guess he almost certainly staying and the only reason this hasn't been announced is he hasn't met whatever trigger clause was in the agreement yet.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I'd guess he almost certainly staying and the only reason this hasn't been announced is he hasn't met whatever trigger clause was in the agreement yet.

I honestly don’t know.

He does love the club, and no doubt (besides my jokes ) he still loves North. So definitely a hard decision as it’s his last contract.

Maybe wants to see some more of our youth buy in.

BigFatNorthFan

Senior List
Oct 9, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
TBH I'm more worried about GC than the Hawks.

Wouldn't call myself worried to be honest - if anything I think us finding a way to get off the bottom would be a great reward for the players and a bit of an eff-you to the doubters, I'm barracking for it. Getting Horne at pick 1 would be great, but pick 1 is no guarantee to have the better career and might even dodge a potential bullet if he's a "go back home to SA some day" type. Hawks and Gold Coast both very enjoyable teams to condemn to spoon-dom too, if it happens.

We also have Fahey in our academy who we'll have to match between 10-13, so having open picks there is risky enough for us as is, I'd think we'd be looking for 2022 first rounder and 2021 second rounder from any team wanting him if we elected to match

Good point, hadn't thought of that. I think if it was us you wouldn't get the second as our future first is probably a top 5 pick, maybe pick 1 (though, with Kelly on the list, hopefully not). If results somehow panned out so that we had pick 3 and you had pick 9, I'd even wonder if something like we sign Kelly leaving you with pick 10 for compo and then trade 3 for 9&10 would be on the cards - unlikely scenario, but arguably both clubs do well out of that, given how richly you've paid to move up the order in the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back