Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signs with GWS]

Remove this Banner Ad

Danger was a restricted free agent so can't be brought up as a comparison.
I didn't bring him up.

Can you think of a good comparison for your argument?

Because off the top of my head I can't think of anyone that has gone for two first round picks, one of them being top 5 (probably top 3 the way North are looking)

Even the trades using a later first round pick and one from the following year always saw something like a second round pick coming back.

I didn't bring him up.

Can you think of a good comparison for your argument?

Because off the top of my head I can't think of anyone that has gone for two first round picks, one of them being top 5 (probably top 3 the way North are looking)

Even the trades using a later first round pick and one from the following year always saw something like a second round pick coming back.

Not many A grade mids get traded in their prime.

Beams went for 5, 25 and Jack Crisp when he went to the Lions.

I'd still have Kelly as a better player than Beams though.

Trading future picks gives teams the ability to get a better price for players leaving now than just copping whatever the destination club is holding in the current year.

If the Eagles were willing to add their future first rounder the Tim Kelly trade would have got done.

They can't make someone stay mate.

Two top 5 picks seems a bit over the top, that would be the most expensive trade in history.

Anyone with a top ten pick would be able to use that along with next years first and probably even expect something back.

As for the clubs that finish in the 8, well there are ways to upgrade your pick. Every club has a list of players they can use as value as well as picks.

Judd went for #3 + #20 + Josh Kennedy who was a pick #4 in 2005 and was looking like developing into a very good player just 2 years at Carlton.

Carlton should have close to 2 x top 10 picks with the crows 2019 and their own 2020 picks, I think thats close enough to his trade value to get it done
They are also desperate to get a player like Josh Kelly to the club to add leadership,experience and class so i can see them having their sights set on Kelly

Cap wont be an issue either with players like Casboult,Thomas,Simpson,Murphy,Kreuzer all in their last 2 years and most likely will be gone 12 months after Kelly arrives so a $1.25mi x 7/8 year deal would be easily in their cap space.

Carlton in my opinion are in the 'Box Seat'

Not many A grade mids get traded in their prime.

Beams went for 5, 25 and Jack Crisp when he went to the Lions.

I'd still have Kelly as a better player than Beams though.

Trading future picks gives teams the ability to get a better price for players leaving now than just copping whatever the destination club is holding in the current year.

If the Eagles were willing to add their future first rounder the Tim Kelly trade would have got done.
Let's not forget that when Beams was traded to Brisbane he was also contracted and still went for less than what you are expecting Giants would get for Kelly.

The fourth paragraph seems to help my argument, not yours.

And I'm not sure what Tim Kelly has to do with it.

Judd went for #3 + #20 + Josh Kennedy who was a pick #4 in 2005 and was looking like developing into a very good player just 2 years at Carlton.

Carlton should have close to 2 x top 10 picks with the crows 2019 and their own 2020 picks, I think thats close enough to his trade value to get it done
They are also desperate to get a player like Josh Kelly to the club to add leadership,experience and class so i can see them having their sights set on Kelly

Cap wont be an issue either with players like Casboult,Thomas,Simpson,Murphy,Kreuzer all in their last 2 years and most likely will be gone 12 months after Kelly arrives so a $1.25mi x 7/8 year deal would be easily in their cap space.

Carlton in my opinion are in the 'Box Seat'
True, the Judd deal was a monster trade.

He was the best player in the comp at the time, a brownlow medalist and a premiership player.

Kelly is not at that level and a lot has changed in the last 12 years.

I agree about Carlton. They have the cap space and trade currency to get the deal done. If they continue to improve as a side they are as good a chance as any.

We would still have the money. Hanneberry is on reported 800k which isn’t alot in the scheme of things especially with the overal cap being 12M. 800k is like 650k two years ago. It’s good coin but not massive coin. There are guys like Fyfe & Dusty on 1.4M as a result of the last cap increase.

Carlisle & Armitage’s contracts expire, Armo will likely retire & Carlisle’s contract will be reduced. Roberton (650k) & Paddy (450k) will likely retire.

Billings & Gresham will get pay rises but due to our cap issues (unable to pay minimum cap) their pay rises won’t even be that significant (up from 500k to around 650-700k).

Saying that, I doubt Kelly is interested. If he were to leave it was when North offered 10M. He’s two years older now & that offer is likely significantly reduced.

I’d be extremely surprised if he left the Giants. He’ll stay & get paid quite well.

Dusty isn’t even on $1.2 mill.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

He was the best player in the comp at the time, a brownlow medalist and a premiership player.

I agree about Carlton. They have the cap space and trade currency to get the deal done. If they continue to improve as a side they are as good a chance as any.

Little to no chance that Carlton will trade for Josh Kelly. We have far more pressing needs in the ruck and small forward positions. Midfield, whilst immature, is far more settled than in years past with recent additions of Sam Walsh, Liam Stocker and Will Setterfield.

Matthew Kruzer replacement is urgently needed this next trade period.

GWS will make a Godfather offer which will be very hard to knock back; plus the Giants still look to be in a premiership window.

With Carlton unlike North , You can actually see the development happening even though the wins are not there yet, Looks to me like they will have a 4-5 win season and will be competitive in another 5-6 games. With a player like Kelly & a couple of speedy small fowards at the feet of Curnow,Mackay Carlton could be competing for finals next year. Could be something that Kelly is also seeing and be part of if he wants to come to melbourne.

I know he supported North as a kid due to his dad playing their but players like Judd (melbourne) Lynch (Collingwood) selected to go to other teams and im thinking this would also be the case here as the most important thing for a player is to win a flag then get the $$$. Not saying Carlton will win a flag but can say confidently i cant see North winning in the next 7/8 years with where they are at currently

Little to no chance that Carlton will trade for Josh Kelly. We have far more pressing needs in the ruck and small forward positions. Midfield, whilst immature, is far more settled than in years past with recent additions of Sam Walsh, Liam Stocker and Will Setterfield.

Matthew Kruzer replacement is urgently needed this next trade period.

GWS will make a Godfather offer which will be very hard to knock back; plus the Giants still look to be in a premiership window.
I get that.

I also think your forward cap planning might be more resricted than people think. With a lot of young talent that you'd expect to increase in value over the next few years.

Shiel as a mature mid made sense to me added to the mix. It's also possible wuth Shiel you'd have gone another direction in the draft.

Kelly is a precociuus talent but still young and not too dissimilar to what you have.

It looks like options for a longer contract is going to be acceptable

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/b1ac4cb0a3976be825eb90514d6ab044

Superstar midfielder Josh Kelly has re-signed with Greater Western Sydney on an unprecedented deal

GWS have locked in Josh Kelly on an unprecedented deal that could make the superstar midfielder a Giant for life.
The Giants will announce on Wednesday that the most sought-after player on the AFL open market has signed a two-year contract, but The Daily Telegraph understands Kelly will have options to extend and make the deal span for anywhere between six to 10 seasons.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/b1ac4cb0a3976be825eb90514d6ab044

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good get by GWS but i cant see how that contract would be legal.
Option contracts are in the AFL contracts currently (generally they are 'triggered' by games played or something) and this is a natural progression.

Puts GWS at the mercy of Kelly a bit though. They would want some serious notice if he was to leave to ensure they can list manage and manage their salary cap properly

Good get by GWS but i cant see how that contract would be legal.
As long as it doesn't specify trade compensation should Josh Kelly choose not engage his extension then it's fine.

The issue would be how GWS list manage into the future if he has the decision to make leading up to October and they need to plan for both having Kelly and spending their $850,000 a year for the next five or not have him.

Whether both parties can opt out of the extension will be interesting.

Option contracts are in the AFL contracts currently (generally they are 'triggered' by games played or something) and this is a natural progression.

Puts GWS at the mercy of Kelly a bit though. They would want some serious notice if he was to leave to ensure they can list manage and manage their salary cap properly

But they are generally 2 way options...ie if player doesnt meet trigger clause no of games in year 1 club can terminate year 2 or so can the player himself. The Kelly option would have to be a 2 way one surely...if for example he signs for 2 years with a 5 year option the club would have to be able to terminate after 2 years too or i cant see how its legal. But we will see.

It will interesting if the option denies FA status. If so he is a quality human being.
He's a quality human being regardless.

Always really liked Kelly, and his dedication to developing the game locally up here through footy clinics, rather than seeking the media limelight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back