Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signs with GWS]

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Option contracts are in the AFL contracts currently (generally they are 'triggered' by games played or something) and this is a natural progression.

Puts GWS at the mercy of Kelly a bit though. They would want some serious notice if he was to leave to ensure they can list manage and manage their salary cap properly
I'm sure they have their backs covered to

RupieDupie

Guru
Jun 30, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
What do Nathan Buckley, Adam Goodes and Mark Ricciuto have in common?

They all have a poster of Josh Kelly on their wall. He is an AFL Player's AFL Player

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
But they are generally 2 way options...ie if player doesnt meet trigger clause no of games in year 1 club can terminate year 2 or so can the player himself. The Kelly option would have to be a 2 way one surely...if for example he signs for 2 years with a 5 year option the club would have to be able to terminate after 2 years too or i cant see how its legal. But we will see.
Unilateral contract options are absolutely legal.

Paul Chapman had one with us, so did BJ Goddard the year before last where if they play a certain amount of games then they could trigger an extra year if the player chooses to.
It happens in US sport all the times, rookie player contracts all have unilateral team options.

What i imagine is the case is that if Kelly wants to opt out and hit FA or whatever there will be a cut off date where if he doesnt opt out or in then it automatically resorts to an additional one more year or something.

For example, if at the end of 2021 there is an option for a further 4 years or he opts out, it might be he has to choose by a certain point in the year and if he doesnt then the contract auto extends to the end of 2022 with no further options. Giving both sides sone sort of closure and time to get their plans in order.

Unilateral contract options are absolutely legal.

No they're not.

Paul Chapman had one with us, so did BJ Goddard the year before last where if they play a certain amount of games then they could trigger an extra year if the player chooses to.

There can be mutually agreed options, where both parties have to agree to exercise an option, or automatically triggered options, e.g. playing a certain amount of games.

Edit: Chapman was an automatic trigger for 2015 and Goddard was an automatic trigger for 2018. NDS had a mutually agreed option (declined) for 2014.

It happens in US sport all the times, rookie player contracts all have unilateral team options.

The AFL operates under different rules to US sports.

Literally from the CBA, clause 21.1(g):

An AFL Club and a Player shall not include provision in a Standard Playing Contract which would entitle either party to unilaterally exercise an option to extend the term of a Player’s contract.

Last edited:
Why was my post deleted and could I be advised as to the why?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Playing the man. Check your notifications as I sent you one. Snake doesn't have access to this forum anymore anyway.

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Fabulous news for footy.

Every time a gun player re-signs with an extension team, it can only be a positive thing.

Cogs will follow suit no doubt, and as for angry/disappointed fans of jilted/rejected clubs, learn to develop your own players instead of raiding the expansion teams, the weren't brought in to be feeder clubs, so build a bridge and get over it

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
He cant have it though. A contract with a one way option isn't permitted.
Other sports aren't reievant.

What would that hypothetical trigger be for Kelly? He isn't going to miss seiection if fit. A trigger clause on remaining injury free would be a real can if worms given players are often injured in the service of the club through no fault of their own.

A trigger clause if he wins AA selection again or a brownlow seems a bit silly.

An option to stay if he feels like it wouldn't be allowed.
None if that makes sense to me. Any contract now will be completed under current AFL rules. It's that simple.
Contract terms involve lawyers.

Lawyers find ways and means to get deals done and explore and exploit loopholes.

If not now then in the future.

You do agree Kelly holds the whip?
Well you are living in a fantasy world mate.

Need to open the other eye and your mind.
I am?

Your creating a fantasy where things can happen that can't happen

Well well what do you know mate!

Kelly signs and unprecedent, revolutionary contract with options for the player to extend out up to 10 years.

An American style contract never seen before.

Well bugger me................didnt see THAT coming did you!!!

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04...has-re-signed-with-gws-on-revolutionary-deal/

As I said open your other eye and your mind. Clever manager and a clever lawyer.

Well well what do you know mate!

Kelly signs and unprecedent, revolutionary contract with options for the player to extend out up to 10 years.

An American style contract never seen before.

Well bugger me................didnt see THAT coming did you!!!

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04...has-re-signed-with-gws-on-revolutionary-deal/

As I said open your other eye and your mind. Clever manager and a clever lawyer.

He's right though. At most it can be a two party option with a nod and a wink of Giants approval that they'll accede to whatever Josh decides, or alternatively an "automatic triggering" mechanism that actually falls into Josh's control, e.g. a weigh-in (binge eat the night before) or attendance to training or something else. The CBA literally bans single party approval of extensions (see earlier in this thread) and there hasn't been any reports that the CBA was renegotiated in the last week.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
He's right though. At most it can be a two party option with a nod and a wink of Giants approval that they'll accede to whatever Josh decides, or alternatively an "automatic triggering" mechanism that actually falls into Josh's control, e.g. a weigh-in (binge eat the night before) or attendance to training or something else. The CBA literally bans single party approval of extensions (see earlier in this thread) and there hasn't been any reports that the CBA was renegotiated in the last week.

TBH I havent read the CBA and would surprised if any of us had or understands the finer detail.

But here we are with a two year deal with a player option to extend. Someone found a loop hole that the AFL has approved.

The players CBA and contracts are evolving and taking on aspects of other more mature markets / competitions from overseas.

Im not surprised.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
No they're not.

There can be mutually agreed options, where both parties have to agree to exercise an option, or automatically triggered options, e.g. playing a certain amount of games.

Edit: Chapman was an automatic trigger for 2015 and Goddard was an automatic trigger for 2018. NDS had a mutually agreed option (declined) for 2014.

The AFL operates under different rules to US sports.

Literally from the CBA, clause 21.1(g):

An AFL Club and a Player shall not include provision in a Standard Playing Contract which would entitle either party to unilaterally exercise an option to extend the term of a Player’s contract.

Unilaterally is the key word here.

I would suggest that financial terms for any extension are set and the only thing that requires the trigger is a fitness test. If Kelly is fit and healthy then the club agrees he has the option to extend.

Something like that where one party doesnt have unilateral control to extend.

TBH I havent read the CBA and would surprised if any of us had or understands the finer detail.

FWIW I have read each of the last three CBAs. They're actually pretty straightforward and easy to understand.

Unilaterally is the key word here.

I would suggest that financial terms for any extension are set and the only thing that requires the trigger is a fitness test. If Kelly is fit and healthy then the club agrees he has the option to extend.

Something like that where one party doesnt have unilateral control to extend.

Yes, that was my suggestion in the previous response.

Back