Recommitted Josh Kelly [will be a GIANT for life, has signed 8 year extension]

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be 26 in 2021. Could easily have another 7-8 years in him.
Joining a team on the rise isn't out of the question considering GWS is probably on a downward slope.
Worth it for the cash and a potential move back to Melbourne I think.
Will cost $1 mil or there abouts and over priced for a player that would struggle to be top 20 in the league imo

Will be 26 in 2021. Could easily have another 7-8 years in him.
Joining a team on the rise isn't out of the question considering GWS is probably on a downward slope.
Worth it for the cash and a potential move back to Melbourne I think.
On the rise? I expect North to struggle for a while.
I’m not trying to have a dig at North Melbourne but I really don’t get why North fans are so bullish? I’ve read across a few threads about how the new administration and coaching is light years ahead of the Scott years. This is based on 0 games under the new coach. You massively overpaid for an average player in Corr, Unlike Phillips and Treloar, the Pies are chipping in nothing for Stephenson and he has serious issues outside of football. Goldstein, Tarrant and Cunnington are coming to the end.
The suggestion around the exciting young list seems overly optimistic and not based on much evidence. Is it really any better than the other clubs down the bottom?
What am I missing?

I’m not trying to have a dig at North Melbourne but I really don’t get why North fans are so bullish? I’ve read across a few threads about how the new administration and coaching is light years ahead of the Scott years. This is based on 0 games under the new coach. You massively overpaid for an average player in Corr, Unlike Phillips and Treloar, the Pies are chipping in nothing for Stephenson and he has serious issues outside of football. Goldstein, Tarrant and Cunnington are coming to the end.
The suggestion around the exciting young list seems overly optimistic and not based on much evidence. Is it really any better than the other clubs down the bottom?
What am I missing?
I think you're severely underrating corr. His defensive numbers when on opponents in 2020 are very good.
Agree we do have some aging players but we have a lot of very good talent coming through.

I think you're severely underrating corr. His defensive numbers when on opponents in 2020 are very good.
Agree we do have some aging players but we have a lot of very good talent coming through.
So do most of the teams down the bottom and middle. I don’t see North’s young talent being significantly better than anyone else, far from it.

What am I missing?
A brain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine question before North fans get all defensive, but who are the young talents that set them apart better from the other young lists? They have some good young players coming through but I don’t see anything better then the likes of Brayshaw, Cerra, Walsh, Bailey Smith, McLuggage, the Port kids, the Gold Coast kids, Worpel, Naughton etc. even the next group down like Hunter Clark, Coffield, Caldwell, Hately, couple of the Crows, Young, Serong, Blakey, Day, Green etc have all shown as much.
I do like their draft from this year but they obviously haven’t even played a game yet. If Phillips can show he could be a “franchise” mid I’d be more convinced.
GC and Freo seem well ahead on young talent and I don’t see North being significantly better than another handful of young lists.

Genuine question before North fans get all defensive, but who are the young talents that set them apart better from the other young lists? They have some good young players coming through but I don’t see anything better then the likes of Brayshaw, Cerra, Walsh, Bailey Smith, McLuggage, the Port kids, the Gold Coast kids, Worpel, Naughton etc. even the next group down like Hunter Clark, Coffield, Caldwell, Hately, couple of the Crows, Young, Serong, Blakey, Day, Green etc have all shown as much.
I do like their draft from this year but they obviously haven’t even played a game yet. If Phillips can show he could be a “franchise” mid I’d be more convinced.
GC and Freo seem well ahead on young talent and I don’t see North being significantly better than another handful of young lists.
Hey Mate thanks for the question.
A lot of the North youngsters are rated highly internally but it doesn't seem like it in the general AFL community.
I think that comes from the typical distain of anything North that most people have but also the fact as a middle tier side they are usually overlooked as the side being pretty meh.
We've had something like 5-6 rising star nominations in the last 2 years and plenty of kids with decent highlight reels already; with a couple looking to really break out in the next year or 2.

Our young kids get game time but compared to a Freo and lesser extent Port who got 3 first rounders in 1 year they aren't really the focal point of the side.
Obviously GC basically come out and traded/delisted anyone who didn't want to be there and somewhat forcibly played kids over 'experienced' players.
If you objectively look at Norths side we don't really have any 'elite' or super A graders but we do have a lot of very serviceable players who do their roles well and for the most part are a lock for the best 22. The club has recently delisted/traded 14 players and maybe 2-3 of them were really best 22 with the rest being fillers or guys who were 22-27 with very limited experience.
Just making the point that due to the 22 being not A grade but still fairly solid, the young players aren't as much of a focal point as other sides but simply an addition to them and maybe get a handfull of games instead of a locked into spot over an experienced player doing the same job (barring extensive injury of course eg 2020)

'They have some good young players coming through but I don’t see anything better then the likes of Brayshaw, Cerra, Walsh, Bailey Smith, McLuggage, the Port kids, the Gold Coast kids, Worpel, Naughton etc. even the next group down like Hunter Clark, Coffield, Caldwell, Hately, couple of the Crows, Young, Serong, Blakey, Day, Green etc have all shown as much.'

Majority of those named here were from the 2017 super draft and were given set positions in their respective sides early (addressed this above) and are at that age of development where they are coming into their prime. LDU ready to go to that level in 2021 but was 1 year behind due to injury. The GC kids (rowell, luko, anderson, rankine, king and probably a couple of others) were all 1-10 position talents and no doubt they are fantastic but considering they are those picks they are expected to be. Nobody is disputing the talent of those players.
Bailey smith is a special talent and has an insane work ethic that thrives with other elite talent in the dogs side but he did fall away a little in the 2nd half of the 2020 season as everyone was playing in the mids.
Maybe an unpopular opinion but I feel like the likes of coffield/hunter clark have fallen away a bit with the injection of talent into the saints side.
The GWS kids are obviously studs but not sure what they will be like in 2021 after being basically pushed out of the GWS best 22 on multiple occasions.

North for the most part have been set back by the joyce/scott era (playing favourites over best available or kids who need games) and the current administration have come out and said we'll be playing who wants the spot the most. Its exciting for the fans but also finally means a club like North may have much needed draft capital in the next couple of years. Expecting a lot more of the newer guys to get games in 2021 and reckon our forward line has to be one of the youngest in the league. Not saying they wont be quick and dangerous. I think the kids will surprise a lot in the next couple of years; we may not be there right now but we soon will be.

Hey Mate thanks for the question.
A lot of the North youngsters are rated highly internally but it doesn't seem like it in the general AFL community.
I think that comes from the typical distain of anything North that most people have but also the fact as a middle tier side they are usually overlooked as the side being pretty meh.
We've had something like 5-6 rising star nominations in the last 2 years and plenty of kids with decent highlight reels already; with a couple looking to really break out in the next year or 2.

Our young kids get game time but compared to a Freo and lesser extent Port who got 3 first rounders in 1 year they aren't really the focal point of the side.
Obviously GC basically come out and traded/delisted anyone who didn't want to be there and somewhat forcibly played kids over 'experienced' players.
If you objectively look at Norths side we don't really have any 'elite' or super A graders but we do have a lot of very serviceable players who do their roles well and for the most part are a lock for the best 22. The club has recently delisted/traded 14 players and maybe 2-3 of them were really best 22 with the rest being fillers or guys who were 22-27 with very limited experience.
Just making the point that due to the 22 being not A grade but still fairly solid, the young players aren't as much of a focal point as other sides but simply an addition to them and maybe get a handfull of games instead of a locked into spot over an experienced player doing the same job (barring extensive injury of course eg 2020)

'They have some good young players coming through but I don’t see anything better then the likes of Brayshaw, Cerra, Walsh, Bailey Smith, McLuggage, the Port kids, the Gold Coast kids, Worpel, Naughton etc. even the next group down like Hunter Clark, Coffield, Caldwell, Hately, couple of the Crows, Young, Serong, Blakey, Day, Green etc have all shown as much.'

Majority of those named here were from the 2017 super draft and were given set positions in their respective sides early (addressed this above) and are at that age of development where they are coming into their prime. LDU ready to go to that level in 2021 but was 1 year behind due to injury. The GC kids (rowell, luko, anderson, rankine, king and probably a couple of others) were all 1-10 position talents and no doubt they are fantastic but considering they are those picks they are expected to be. Nobody is disputing the talent of those players.
Bailey smith is a special talent and has an insane work ethic that thrives with other elite talent in the dogs side but he did fall away a little in the 2nd half of the 2020 season as everyone was playing in the mids.
Maybe an unpopular opinion but I feel like the likes of coffield/hunter clark have fallen away a bit with the injection of talent into the saints side.
The GWS kids are obviously studs but not sure what they will be like in 2021 after being basically pushed out of the GWS best 22 on multiple occasions.

North for the most part have been set back by the joyce/scott era (playing favourites over best available or kids who need games) and the current administration have come out and said we'll be playing who wants the spot the most. Its exciting for the fans but also finally means a club like North may have much needed draft capital in the next couple of years. Expecting a lot more of the newer guys to get games in 2021 and reckon our forward line has to be one of the youngest in the league. Not saying they wont be quick and dangerous. I think the kids will surprise a lot in the next couple of years; we may not be there right now but we soon will be.
Thanks this has shone some real insight into a list the majority probably don’t know that well. I think it’s pretty positive for North but teams like Brisbane, Saints, Carlton, Port and the Dogs are pretty young themselves so going to need the North fans to be patient and buy into what the club is doing.

Thanks this has shone some real insight into a list the majority probably don’t know that well. I think it’s pretty positive for North but teams like Brisbane, Saints, Carlton, Port and the Dogs are pretty young themselves so going to need the North fans to be patient and buy into what the club is doing.
North has finally shed the crap that was the Joyce/Brad Scott era and brought in a new coaching group with fresh ideas and a sound gameplan.
Drafting in the last couple of years has been good too and broken the cycle that was draft and delist in 2-3 years under the previous regime.
Obviously the situation with shaw and the hub wasn't ideal but the club has moved on from that and its upwards from here.
Players have finally been made accountable for their actions (with regards to playing seniors and delistings) and its not a case of play the coach's favourites anymore.
Agree there's a lot of new younger sides coming through, I might have not put the saints and dogs as 'young' (majority over age of 25?) but the others definitely yes. Going to be a rotation of teams no longer competing for the top spots and others coming through in the next couple of years. We've seen the decline of some squads already and there will be more in 2021.
Happy to provide some knowledge of the side and glad you didn't just brush it off as others would have.
If you got any other questions feel free to shoot it through.

A very interesting 'watch this space'. Feel like him having this option was a get out in case GWS fell off a cliff. On field results might play a big part in this, although he does seem to enjoy life in Sydney and is being paid really well.

IF he was to leave, you'd think it would be a Vic club in the pack looking to take the next step and thinking he could be the player to take them there, as well as being able to afford a pretty big contract. A team perhaps like Melbourne, if Carlton play finals they would be included in this. Teams like Essendon and North could probably throw big money at him, but if they struggle (I think they will) I wouldn't think he would want to move as he could just stay where he is in a middling or poorish performing side and still get paid. You'd have to rule the Pies out (money) the Dogs (midfield stacked, money?), St. Kilda (money?) and unless Hawthorn improve lots, they go into the Essendon/North basket. Geelong and Richmond surely couldn't afford him.

A very interesting 'watch this space'. Feel like him having this option was a get out in case GWS fell off a cliff. On field results might play a big part in this, although he does seem to enjoy life in Sydney and is being paid really well.

IF he was to leave, you'd think it would be a Vic club in the pack looking to take the next step and thinking he could be the player to take them there, as well as being able to afford a pretty big contract. A team perhaps like Melbourne, if Carlton play finals they would be included in this. Teams like Essendon and North could probably throw big money at him, but if they struggle (I think they will) I wouldn't think he would want to move as he could just stay where he is in a middling or poorish performing side and still get paid. You'd have to rule the Pies out (money) the Dogs (midfield stacked, money?), St. Kilda (money?) and unless Hawthorn improve lots, they go into the Essendon/North basket. Geelong and Richmond surely couldn't afford him.
IF and MONEY :fire::fire::fire::fire:

Can't see any club outside of North offer him the money he will likely get at the Giants if he triggers his contract?
Really depends on what compensation they get.
Gotta be at least 1 first rounder in the talks, GWS will try to get 2-3 at minimum.

Why? He has taken less to stay at the Giants so far. Can see multiple clubs putting up offers.
Because the clause is for up 8 years, reportedly for close to $1 million.

That's an outrageous contract really and I can't see too many Melbourne clubs being in the position to go for it, especially when he hasn't lived up to the hype.

I'm not suggesting clubs won't put up offers but I doubt they are they lucrative.

Because the clause is for up 8 years, reportedly for close to $1 million.

That's an outrageous contract really and I can't see too many Melbourne clubs being in the position to go for it, especially when he hasn't lived up to the hype.

I'm not suggesting clubs won't put up offers but I doubt they are they lucrative.

“Reported” exactly.

The length may be the only thing that is more at the Giants, although I can see a club throwing a decade his way if they want to make a splash.

Close to a million can mean 800k a year with the way media portray it.

I have no doubt there will be offers and big ones.

“Reported” exactly.

The length may be the only thing that is more at the Giants, although I can see a club throwing a decade his way if they want to make a splash.

Close to a million can mean 800k a year with the way media portray it.

I have no doubt there will be offers and big ones.
Of course there will be offers, never said there won't be. But 8 years at close to $1 million?

I don't see too many clubs that I think would he prepared to do that.

So if he leaves the Giants it would have to be to a rebuilding side for them to be able to afford the contract, otherwise had be taking a pay cut which I wouldn't rule out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back