Recommitted Josh Kelly [will be a GIANT for life, has signed 8 year extension]

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see any club outside of North offer him the money he will likely get at the Giants if he triggers his contract?
I'd expect the Hawks have cap space too, but I'm not sure Kelly would move to a club that is rebuilding.
He had enough rebuilding in his early years I'd expect.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I honestly don't see him leaving the Giants.

Hawks, Saints, North and Carlton would obviously be great fits if he wanted to move back to Vic. He is a good/great player but hasn't finished high in the Brownlow or really taken the league by storm like many thought. Be interesting to see if Swans got into him and threw some coin at him.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Genuine question before North fans get all defensive, but who are the young talents that set them apart better from the other young lists? They have some good young players coming through but I don’t see anything better then the likes of Brayshaw, Cerra, Walsh, Bailey Smith, McLuggage, the Port kids, the Gold Coast kids, Worpel, Naughton etc. even the next group down like Hunter Clark, Coffield, Caldwell, Hately, couple of the Crows, Young, Serong, Blakey, Day, Green etc have all shown as much.
I do like their draft from this year but they obviously haven’t even played a game yet. If Phillips can show he could be a “franchise” mid I’d be more convinced.
GC and Freo seem well ahead on young talent and I don’t see North being significantly better than another handful of young lists.

You have listed every other good young player in the competition.

Of course we don’t have a group that competes with every kid from every other club in the competition.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
On the rise? I expect North to struggle for a while.
I’m not trying to have a dig at North Melbourne but I really don’t get why North fans are so bullish? I’ve read across a few threads about how the new administration and coaching is light years ahead of the Scott years. This is based on 0 games under the new coach. You massively overpaid for an average player in Corr, Unlike Phillips and Treloar, the Pies are chipping in nothing for Stephenson and he has serious issues outside of football. Goldstein, Tarrant and Cunnington are coming to the end.
The suggestion around the exciting young list seems overly optimistic and not based on much evidence. Is it really any better than the other clubs down the bottom?
What am I missing?
Reminds me of the dogs at the end of 2014. Lots of doom and gloom.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Aiden Corr only played 8 games in 2019 when the Giants did make the Grand Final. In 2020, he played 15 out of 17 games when they missed the finals.

Their rucks were also utter rubbish in 2019 as well, gaining Preuss on just Mumford is a massive improvement for them.

Oh and as for war chests, Port Adelaide is one of the lowest spending clubs and just topped the ladder. So they'll have money to splash and be able to put forward themselves as a club that is actually pushing towards success rather than languishing in rebuild land.

You had your chance, you topped up and missed.

You are further away than you think.

You actually thought bringing in Motlop and that utensil from Brisbane was going to bring you success? That’s sweet.

Ken Hinkley is a poor mans Brad Scott.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
You had your chance, you topped up and missed.

You are further away than you think.

You actually thought bringing in Motlop and that utensil from Brisbane was going to bring you success? That’s sweet.

Ken Hinkley is a poor mans Brad Scott.
It's very rare that I agree with a North supporter in a thread about Josh Kelly, but Sir, I couldn't agree more.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Carlton is my call if GWS miss finals

Carlton could easily off load 3-4 fringe players like Casboult , Murphy , Newnes , Newman etc and make room
he would fit in perfectly and is the exact type with his outside / inside class to take them to the next level

Making finals would need to be the goal for the blues

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Carlton could easily off load 3-4 fringe players like Casboult , Murphy , Newnes , Newman etc and make room
he would fit in perfectly and is the exact type with his outside / inside class to take them to the next level

Don't think they have the salary cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 18, 2005
Barstow, Cal14nia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
GAVROI MOUNIA... GAMW TON PIRAEA
Don't think they have the salary cap.
They will make room
Eddie , Murphy , Casboult and a few more would be disposable if a Kelly was to come

According to Cain Liddle we still have underspend to use again this year (thanks to years of paying 95% under Silvagni).

We have Jack Martin's salary considerably decreasing this year and over the next 4 years, which may be be balanced out by re-signing Cripps.

All in all, I think we would have the room still.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
According to Cain Liddle we still have underspend to use again this year (thanks to years of paying 95% under Silvagni).

We have Jack Martin's salary considerably decreasing this year and over the next 4 years, which may be be balanced out by re-signing Cripps.

Are you sure about Jack Martin getting a decrease? It's my understanding that Carlton dramatically restructured his deal after it became apparent that he was going to be disproportionately disadvantaged by the Covid wage scaling that occurred on 2020.

Dec 18, 2005
Barstow, Cal14nia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Are you sure about Jack Martin getting a decrease? It's my understanding that Carlton dramatically restructured his deal after it became apparent that he was going to be disproportionately disadvantaged by the Covid wage scaling that occurred on 2020.

I couldn't find any reference to him having his deal restructured, but you could be right.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Interesting.

Reckon we will go harder for Merrett or Kelly?

I do think Kelly will contemplate sacrificing 100k or so a year and sign onto a shorter contract if he feels he's signing on with a team closer to contending. GWS would still have to be a reasonable chance of making the finals in 2021 though, which muddies things a bit.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

I have no doubt this would be the case and due to Carlton's situation and the depth of the player cuts there were players like Curnow,McKay,SPS,Dow,Wietering,Marchbank etc that would hve been well payed as new draftee's that would know this and sign for less than wht would be offered. The problem for Carlton will come in 2-3 years when these younger talented player get to free agency and some silly money starts getting thrown at them (which will happen) and seepage of talent will occur as we are seeing at Richmond

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
He was due to earn 2 million last year prior to the cuts

he is absolutely getting a decrease

his original contract was

2m

probably will go up to around 600 to compensate the loss, still a massive drop though

Very good mates with Christian Salem, they went to high school together along with Jayden Hunt. Josh and Christian were hanging out over summer according to their Instagram stories, hopefully Christian can convince him to come to Melbourne. Type of player Melbourne need

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Very good mates with Christian Salem, they went to high school together along with Jayden Hunt. Josh and Christian were hanging out over summer according to their Instagram stories, hopefully Christian can convince him to come to Melbourne. Type of player Melbourne need
Maybe trade Dom Tyson and Salem for Kelly.

Swings and roundabouts.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Not sure if I would want us to pay his contract asking price given his history of injuries.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I have no doubt this would be the case and due to Carlton's situation and the depth of the player cuts there were players like Curnow,McKay,SPS,Dow,Wietering,Marchbank etc that would hve been well payed as new draftee's that would know this and sign for less than wht would be offered. The problem for Carlton will come in 2-3 years when these younger talented player get to free agency and some silly money starts getting thrown at them (which will happen) and seepage of talent will occur as we are seeing at Richmond

SPS would want to have a big 2021 or he may end up getting traded imo

Dec 18, 2005
Barstow, Cal14nia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Interesting.

Reckon we will go harder for Merrett or Kelly?

I do think Kelly will contemplate sacrificing 100k or so a year and sign onto a shorter contract if he feels he's signing on with a team closer to contending. GWS would still have to be a reasonable chance of making the finals in 2021 though, which muddies things a bit.

I think Merrett is our main target.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back