Recommitted Josh Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

With star forward Jeremy Cameron all but re-committing to the expansion club, industry sources fear free agent Zac Williams will leave at the end of 2020, while rival clubs believe gun midfielder Josh Kelly is once again gettable due to the Giants’ financial predicament.

Interesting. Would have to be a hefty, like an early first or two firsts. Maybe North's warchest actually works?

He’s slowed down his progression the last couple years, albeit injury hasn’t helped him, but he’d still be worth a lot on the trade table and would command a massive contract. I’d love the Saints to have another crack at him but I doubt he have the trade currency.

Interesting. Would have to be a hefty, like an early first or two firsts. Maybe North's warchest actually works?

GWS can have the Hawks pick 4 in this years draft.

:drunk::thumbsu:

Honestly, not worth it and I used to be right into him. Too overpriced for an okay mid who doesn't have the runs on the board. Kelly used to be debated alongside Cripps and bontempelli. Not even in the same ballpark anymore.

You're having a laugh.

To take over that contract you have to sign him onto his extension.

Which is $1m x 8 years for a guy with groin problems the last 2 seasons. He will be 33 in his final $1m year.

The market for that is like 1 or 2 clubs, and he's a FA next year if he doesn't trigger the extension (He wont get anywhere near that offer in his current form)

It would be a Tom Scully type salary dump.

3rd rounder at best, if GWS don't like it, they lose 2-3 players from the extension...

Someone has to take a haircut for his form, either Kelly with a reduced salary at the FA market or GWS who've basically lost his trade value because of an extremely bad contract.....

Last edited:
You're having a laugh.

Which is $1m x 8 years for a guy with groin problems the last 2 seasons. He will be 33 in his final $1m year.

The market for that is like 1 or 2 clubs, and he's a FA next year if he doesn't trigger the extension (He wont get anywhere near that offer in his current form)

3rd rounder at best, if GWS don't like it, they lose 2-3 players from the extension...

Someone has to take a haircut for his form, either Kelly with a reduced salary at the FA market or GWS who've basically lost his trade value because of an extremely bad contract.....

His contract situation has never been fully revealed. All we know for sure is he is out of contract end of next year. The speculation at the time he signed it was, there is some kind of option for 7 years but nobody has revealed which party has the option to decline. The recent news with him buying a house and reselling straight away is what would be throwing fuel on the fire that he is looking to move on.

His contract situation has never been fully revealed. All we know for sure is he is out of contract end of next year. The speculation at the time he signed it was, there is some kind of option for 7 years but nobody has revealed which party has the option to decline. The recent news with him buying a house and reselling straight away is what would be throwing fuel on the fire that he is looking to move on.

Given the interest in him at the time and the offers being thrown at him, you are kidding yourself if you think the Giants hold the whip hand with that clause on his contract.

It's always been speculated it was Kelly, simply to enable him to elect to become a FA and earn MORE money if needed after that 2 year period.

Given the interest in him at the time and the offers being thrown at him, you are kidding yourself if you think the Giants hold the whip hand with that clause on his contract.

It's always been speculated it was Kelly, simply to enable him to elect to become a FA and earn MORE money if needed after that 2 year period.

I give Josh more credit than you to suggest money and terms were the only factors on him signing that contract.

He may have to take a decent pay cut then
IF he goes.
I'm not convinced he leaves. If Zac Williams goes I suspect GWS will be able to keep Kelly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll only leave to go to a contender. He wants a premiership.

Geelong should be massively into him (esp with Gaj's retirement) can pay him more than North (you would assume), plus due to their Frank Costa business connections, could set him comfortably for life after football.
Plus they have 3 first round picks to play with.

Surely the Cats are in the box seat if he wants to leave at the end of the season?

Geelong should be massively into him (esp with Gaj's retirement) can pay him more than North (you would assume), plus due to their Frank Costa business connections, could set him comfortably for life after football.

Surely the Cats are in the box seat if he wants to leave at the end of the season?
Cats should absolutely be in the market for midfielders this season. Danger is 30, Steven is 30, Selwood is 32, Ablett is 36, then Guthrie and Menegola are both 28 this year. Pretty much nothing of quality through their midfield born after 1992.

They should be talking to Kelly, plus potentially the Crouches, or even just aim lower and go for someone not getting games like McLean, Fiorini, Sier, etc.

Has been a while since Geelong targetted a player not actually from the Geelong area though. That might influence things. I do agree it makes the most sense - North probably don't have good enough medium-term prospects to sway him, ditto Hawthorn and I'm not sure who else in Victoria can both afford his draft and pay packet. Carlton might be the closest but even then I think their eyes will be on Papley + FA's.

Hard to see him leaving the Giants for a non-Vic team.

You're having a laugh.

Yeah I honestly don't know what the situation is - I automatically assumed he was straight OOC in 2021, if it's more complex than that then the situation looks more awkward and his price is far harder to assess. Unlike Scully though I don't see why the Giants would let him go if his clause entitles him to 7 more years.

Honestly, not worth it and I used to be right into him. Too overpriced for an okay mid who doesn't have the runs on the board. Kelly used to be debated alongside Cripps and bontempelli. Not even in the same ballpark anymore.

I kind of get what you're saying but he's definitely more than an OK mid. He has dropped off from his massive 2017, but he's still a very good player and likely the best outside mid in the league when in form.

I hope Carlton have a big season next year for obvious reasons, but the residual impact is that it puts the club in the frame to bring in someone of Josh Kelly's calibre.

I'm very interested to see how it all plays out.

You're having a laugh.

Naaah

He is contracted till the end of 2021. That's it. Anything after that is just a statement of intent by the Giants. Actually unenforceable on either party.

As to his value reducing, maybe. wait and see how he goes with fitness and continuity I think.

I can't help but feel that since moving more to a full time wing he hasn't lived up to his potential, thought his best work was using his dash and footwork in and around stoppages and then spread harder than his opponents. Obviously with a surplus of inside mids who aren't capable of pushing onto a wing Kelly is the first to get shuffled around so that blokes like Hopper can get in and under more.

As for potential suitors I'd say the blues would be the best fit for him, extremely damaging with ball in hand and I feel like Cripps would be able to pretty much feed him an endless supply of ball running into space, provides the class and spread that we have lacked a lot in recent years.

Geelong would also be a good suitor but I think getting some dangerous forwards would be more beneficial, Hawkins is far from the player he used to be and they could do with a couple more targets there

Saints maybe?

Without knowing more about his contract I just can't imagine any team pulling off a play for him. Good player on an enormous contract who is up there with the best in the comp when he's in form/free of injury but if you tried building a midfield around him like Judd or Pendles get the feeling he would get banged up and be done by 30

Josh Kelly as a wingman is no better than your Lachie Hunter/Steele Sidebottom/Mitch Duncan/Andrew Gaff.

But Kelly playing on-ball is something really special

Yeah, Kelly is complete hack. I agree that Carlton wouldn't even look at him. He'll just have to languish in Sydney!

I mean he suits our needs more than someone like Crouch (we need class ball users not inside miss who butcher it) so I'm sure we would be keen but I doubt he is gettable I don't see him leaving GWS even though we have the salary cap to accommodate him.

Has been a while since Geelong targetted a player not actually from the Geelong area though. That might influence things. I do agree it makes the most sense - North probably don't have good enough medium-term prospects to sway him, ditto Hawthorn and I'm not sure who else in Victoria can both afford his draft and pay packet. Carlton might be the closest but even then I think their eyes will be on Papley + FA's.

Hard to see him leaving the Giants for a non-Vic team.
Geelong will be rebuilding in 2 years so can’t see him going there. Better mid term prospects at the blues, saints or dees

Remove this Banner Ad

Back