List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North II - It's Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So we only offered 6 years , smart move.
Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree. Good to hear we had a value on him and his place in the team and didn't budge. Adults in charge now. He clearly would have made us a better team next year but I'd be lying if I didn't think it wasn't necessarily the best thing for us in the long term.

BTW: I'm back on us winning a premiership in this timeframe whilst GWS don't get close again. I also think this is a very dangerous move for GWS... that is an incredibly long contract at presumably real serious money. I guess it's a bit easier when you know head office will always have your back when push comes to shove.

interesting piece, especially the bit about godees taking brown, its not like he (BBB) was fighting off other offers?

It's more about Melbourne making the move knowing it'd hurt Weideman's future but believing it's the right thing for their prospects when it came to top four, September, etc - rather than Brown being in hot demand.

No Kelly, but North’s war chest about to get real

Herald Sun

North Melbourne is sitting pretty with millions of bucks of salary cap room, aware it could end up with the pick of the trade period even though it has missed out on Josh Kelly.

Kelly was offered as much as $9 million over eight years from the Roos.

What North Melbourne knows is that multiple clubs are up to their eyeballs in cap issues after back-ending contracts under AFL rules and will be desperate to shed cap space.

It means clubs with cap space are in pole position, just as the Roos were last year when they got Jaidyn Stephenson at a bargain-basement price when the Pies got desperate to shed his salary.

They won’t splash the cash on players they don’t want, but given a club with significant stocks of young talent still has list holes they are perfectly poised.

Herald Sun

North Melbourne is sitting pretty with millions of bucks of salary cap room, aware it could end up with the pick of the trade period even though it has missed out on Josh Kelly.

What North Melbourne knows is that multiple clubs are up to their eyeballs in cap issues after back-ending contracts under AFL rules and will be desperate to shed cap space.

It means clubs with cap space are in pole position, just as the Roos were last year when they got Jaidyn Stephenson at a bargain-basement price when the Pies got desperate to shed his salary.

They won’t splash the cash on players they don’t want, but given a club with significant stocks of young talent still has list holes they are perfectly poised.
Jindrrk - where is that $$$$$$$$$$$s GIF again. It's Happening!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald Sun

so the age is saying we didn't offer 8 years and the sun is saying we did?

Agree. Good to hear we had a value on him and his place in the team and didn't budge. Adults in charge now. He clearly would have made us a better team next year but I'd be lying if I didn't think it wasn't necessarily the best thing for us in the long term.

BTW: I'm back on us winning a premiership in this timeframe whilst GWS don't get close again. I also think this is a very dangerous move for GWS... that is an incredibly long contract at presumably real serious money. I guess it's a bit easier when you know head office will always have your back when push comes to shove.

I agree. I see the potential for them to lose a younger developing player, who they may not be able to pay as much as they know he is worth/he thinks he is worth. The length of the deal shrieks, and always has, madness, however it looks like the Swans will get Buddy safely through his 9 year deal, albeit no premiership so far while he has been with them. So GWS may get lucky on that count

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back