Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Yes, but I can only see that happen once you trade out a top player.

Coniglio, Hopper, Himmelberg & Tomlinson are also out of contract and are going to need top ups. Deledio appears to be the only decent coin leaving.

I can't see you keeping Kelly PLUS that lot and then grabbing a "big fish" as well. You're also going to need a decent ruckman.

If Kelly is traded to North, then our couple of 1st round picks PLUS some cap room, will land you a "big fish".

I don't believe for a minute that the Giants are entertaining an LDU or a Thomas, they have their own junior talent to develop. They want an established ready to go "big fish".
I dont think you can go into details about individual players usefully right now. We have lot of re-signing to do and it's all interrelated. Just too many variables and no-one knows what's in McCartneys mind.

My point was just I wouldn't assume in trade period this year our position will be draft picks only, as it has been.

We dont have the rich depth we once had, and that's kinda what was supposed to happen at this point in our development.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I dont think you can go into details about individual players usefully right now. We have lot of re-signing to do and it's all interrelated. Just too many variables and no-one knows what's in McCartneys mind.

My point was just I wouldn't assume in trade period this year our position will be draft picks only, as it has been.

We don't have the rich depth we once had, and that's kinda what was supposed to happen at this point in our development.

I pretty much agree with you that they're not going to keep on swapping out ready made players for draft picks, but you need to also factor that you don't have this rich depth any more, because as your club enters it's 8th year of AFL football, it's plethora of original riches has matured and placed enormous cap pressures on the list.

This isn't going to subside this year either.

IMO, you will attempt to retain all gun contracts, but will have to lose one in the process, and then go "moneyball" on the remaining cap space, possibly for two ready to go players.

I think you'll want a KPD and a ruckman.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
The media play this with virtually every high profile trade. If the player wants to move, more often than not it happens. Often late in the trade period & normally for around market rates.

Correct.

And if North offer Kelly $1.5-1.7mil and make him the highest paid player in the game, the trade value should match accordingly.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
That's a very plausible possibility. As is us finishing 7th/8th and winning a final (we're good at winning elims). So say we end up with pick 12. That ends up being pick 15 after various academy lurks and the like. We're a rising good side and with JK in the middle likely to go further. So then 2020's first can reasonably assumed to be in that same early to mid teens bracket (then expanded out further).

So if the deal is picks 15 and 19 and LDU for Josh Kelly then yes, I'm biting GWS' hand off for that deal.

Correct. An astute point that many supporters don't consider.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Personally very early to make any call on LDU. Most North people would be hoping by seasons end he's 'with a bullet' making him untouchable in any trade.
It may not work out that way, but I'm hoping it does.

LDU will be a fine player.

And North supporters can rest easy. Was just throwning out a hypothetical given the Wingard/Burton situation.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I pretty much agree with you that they're not going to keep on swapping out ready made players for draft picks, but you need to also factor that you don't have this rich depth any more, because as your club enters it's 8th year of AFL football, it's plethora of original riches has matured and placed enormous cap pressures on the list.

This isn't going to subside this year either.

IMO, you will attempt to retain all gun contracts, but will have to lose one in the process, and then go "moneyball" on the remaining cap space, possibly for two ready to go players.

I think you'll want a KPD and a ruckman.
I think it will subside thus year, because it's been confronted and dealt with.

Our back seven were our strongest line last year, in spite of Corr battling fitness. Taylor could be anything.

Rucks I'm just not sure if we weren't enthusiastic because Flynn is ready or we couldn't attract one.
A tall forward would be useful though, I think.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Correct.

And if North offer Kelly $1.5-1.7mil and make him the highest paid player in the game, the trade value should match accordingly.

LDU will be a fine player.

And North supporters can rest easy. Was just throwning out a hypothetical given the Wingard/Burton situation.

Rest easy? You carry on as if your opinion matters.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rest easy? You carry on as if your opinion matters.

Unfortunately for them they can’t rest easy, there’s a reason Josh only signed for two years on the chance to win a flag. The very next year gws have a garage sale, they give up Sheil, Scully, Lobb after promising a flag to blokes like Josh who stuck with them for less money!? Loyalty is out the window. GWS, or his management did not do the right thing by Josh.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Not intending to have a crack, but haven't we all got opinions? Some on here may have a little bit of fact (solid information), but most have arseholes; sorry, opinions.

Your opinion matters. The Carlton flogs doesn't.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
I see BLUWS and GWS people in the thread and I'm confused to which club they're talking for.

Either way; they're wasting their time.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I see BLUWS and GWS people in the thread and I'm confused to which club they're talking for.

Either way; they're wasting their time.

Same. I didn’t realise that poster was a Carlton supporter till Snake called him one. I have no idea why a Carlton supporter would be posting ok the North board about a gws player. Strange s**t that.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Same. I didn’t realise that poster was a Carlton supporter till Snake called him one. I have no idea why a Carlton supporter would be posting ok the North board about a gws player. Strange s**t that.

Apparently the draft board has people that think Carlton can get Kelly.

Even more bizarre is that they entertain the idea that Kelly would choose Carlton

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Apparently the draft board has people that think Carlton can get Kelly.

He’ll be linked to every club in Melbourne by the end of the season. It’ll be like the Dangerfield trade, they all knew he was going to Geelong but that didn’t stop articles about him potentially going to other clubs.

This is going to play out the same. Strap in, it’s going to be a bumpy ride

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’ll be linked to every club in Melbourne by the end of the season. It’ll be like the Dangerfield trade, they all knew he was going to Geelong but that didn’t stop articles about him potentially going to other clubs.

This is going to play out the same. Strap in, it’s going to be a bumpy ride
How far is it from Blacktown to Seaford?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back