List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North II - It's Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All depends on how he bounces back from injury.

Also - I believe hes considered captain material.

If you are using two first round picks to secure your next captain and a ten year player then it becomes pretty insignificant in the long run.
Josh will be 26 by the time the first ball is bounced in 2021 (the earliest he could come to us).

Not sure where you are getting your 10 year player from.

I am glad we have serious people in charge of our list management now - not the jokers who were running things before.

Handing over 2 first rounders for an injury prone 26 year old, when we already have an older list, is ludicrous.

Josh had his chance to join us a while back but chose his path at gws - we need to move forward now and hit the draft hard and use our multiple first rounders to balance out our list with youth and skill.

I’ve never been a fan of bringing in someone to make them captain. Got to earn that from the players.

I had forgotten that hes getting on.

Personally - he's had his chance as far as im concerned and I feel like we are making betrter picks these days with a stronger group now so lets use them.

if there is a big fish, let it be someone 22-23 but who needs one.

Josh will be 26 by the time the first ball is bounced in 2021 (the earliest he could come to us).

I am glad we have serious people in charge of our list management now - not the jokers who were running things before.

Handing over 2 first rounders for an injury prone 26 year old, when we already have an older list, is ludicrous.

Josh had his chance to join us a while back but chose his path at gws - we need to move forward now and hit the draft hard and use our multiple first rounders to balance out our list with youth and skill.

Absolutely. We need to be preparing for life after Higgo, and Jack and Cunners may not be that long after him (Sad as all that sounds). Drafting a couple of long term replacements with two first round picks makes better sense to me than yet again targeting someone who has really told us twice now he is not interested. At best we get the back end of his career and the Giants get potentially two 10 year plus players.

Post also liked for the use of the word "jokers". Not enough old timers around to use the word "jokers" anymore.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team

Averaging 19 games a year isn't injury-prone.

He's still easily their most influential player when he's 100%.

That would be Greene by a mile and I think Whitfield has surpassed him this year but Kelly has had injury issues the last couple of years, question is if these are short-term problems or something that is going to plague him for the rest of his career. There are a lot of unknowns at this point in time.

He is still a very good player, there is no disrespect sliding down the pecking order at GWS because the club was given way too much talent and losing some of that good quality talent has just resulted in them getting even more good young talent. 2015 they had first round picks of 7, 13 and 16. 2016 they had 2, 5, 14 and 20. 2017 they had 11. 2018 they had 11, 14 and 22 and last year they had 4 and 10. They have had 13 first round picks in the last 5 years with an average pick range of 11 while being in the top 8 for 4 of the 5 years, 2 as a top 4 team. It is insane the access to talent they have had and we are likely going to given them even more when they are ready to spit out Kelly.

Some people excuse his lack of high level performance on being plagued by injuries but isn't injury prone, others say he is injury prone and no longer capable of playing to his 2017 standard... I think these are two extreme positions and Josh is still a bit of an unknown. Assuming he is going to honour his contract, we will learn a lot over the next two years.

He has blown his chance to earn the contract we offered him in 2017, don't think it is out of the question for us to chase him with a lesser offer. If we do and how much we offer and would be prepared to pay on a trade is largely going to be determined by how well he can play.

I wouldn't expect our first round picks to be anything to write home about over the next few years, it is different when we had pick 4 in 2017. A couple of mid-table first round picks in a weaker draft year are not going to have have the same value as a top 4 pick in a strong draft year.

Absolutely. We need to be preparing for life after Higgo, and Jack and Cunners may not be that long after him (Sad as all that sounds). Drafting a couple of long term replacements with two first round picks makes better sense to me than yet again targeting someone who has really told us twice now he is not interested. At best we get the back end of his career and the Giants get potentially two 10 year plus players.

Post also liked for the use of the word "jokers". Not enough old timers around to use the word "jokers" anymore.

I hope our development improves the next couple of years. I am super excited to see what Simpkin, Walker, Taylor, LDU, Thomas and Scott are capable of.

Teams contend because they bat deep with talent, we have beaten good teams when all of our stars have fired, like we did against Richmond. We can't sustain that, we can't rely on Higgins doing all the offensive work, we can't rely on just Cunnington doing the heavy lifting.

We had the fourth best clearance midfielder in Cunnington and ended up 15th for clearance differentials, Carlton had the best in Cripps and only made 8th spot. The strengths we have do not produce consistent results, we need a far more even distribution of the inside work, the tackling, the pressure and the offensive run. We can't have two or three cones in the middle when we go on the offence because they do not have the tank to play in the middle.

I think we need to evolve our game plan for the modern game. I think Kelly has all the traits for the modern game, has endurance, speed, does his fair share on the inside, can be dangerous on the outside. As long as he doesn't break down physically, he would still be a massive asset... however, it is pointless unless we fix the rest of the team. We can't wait until our kids are 26+ until they can perform on a consistent basis.

roos_tt29

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I hope our development improves the next couple of years. I am super excited to see what Simpkin, Walker, Taylor, LDU, Thomas and Scott are capable of.

Teams contend because they bat deep with talent, we have beaten good teams when all of our stars have fired, like we did against Richmond. We can't sustain that, we can't rely on Higgins doing all the offensive work, we can't rely on just Cunnington doing the heavy lifting.

We had the fourth best clearance midfielder in Cunnington and ended up 15th for clearance differentials, Carlton had the best in Cripps and only made 8th spot. The strengths we have do not produce consistent results, we need a far more even distribution of the inside work, the tackling, the pressure and the offensive run. We can't have two or three cones in the middle when we go on the offence because they do not have the tank to play in the middle.

I think we need to evolve our game plan for the modern game. I think Kelly has all the traits for the modern game, has endurance, speed, does his fair share on the inside, can be dangerous on the outside. As long as he doesn't break down physically, he would still be a massive asset... however, it is pointless unless we fix the rest of the team. We can't wait until our kids are 26+ until they can perform on a consistent basis.

Totally agree about what Kelly provides, but we need to give the kids time to develop and gel rather than make rash calls off a few games or a single season.

Obviously the boys you outlined above have the talent. Question is can they all develop together? They all might, some might while others may not - but we have to give them a sustained run at it. And I'm sure Rhyce will. We just have to do what we're supposed to - support :)

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With the massive clean out we've had at our club i doubt any future trades will be the same

I dont think we will be throwing anything and everything at him. We are going to be much more strategic than that

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
They reported over several years that we made big money offers to Andrew Gaff, Dustin Martin and Josh Kelly (multiple times) but didn't convince any of them to move clubs.

All true, and in the case of two of them, they were 100% convinced until their clubs pulled out the cheque books and "joined in the chorus". Martin & Gaff were packed up and gone.

Josh's situation is a little different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back