Not open for further replies.
Some people are over analysing why Players want to go to a Club^

One word

Winning

Winning each week
Winning Finals
Winning GFs

Until we start consistently winning we won’t attract much
Tom Boyd must have had some amazing tea leaves.

Hard to explain why Shiel and Stringer went to *

Unfortunately I am not sure there is anything we can do culturally to attract millennials be it players or new supporters other than win games of footy. All the clubs are now ultra professional especially the Victorian ones. All have strong infrastructure snd support systems. The Shinboner culture has unfortunately been diluted over the last 20 years and is no longer a real point of difference. What sets clubs apart like the Cats, Hawks, Tigers is their on field success. I think we all agree that would be the real clincher in attracting talent and more importantly new members. Unfortunately it’s also the hardest metric to hit

no it doesn't. To attract players to us, based on culture attraction as stated by Tef, we would need to offer something other clubs aren't offering. Nothing is "running contradictory". You are trying to read something into it that isn't there.

Think we've drifted away from original query. Probably don't see it the same way but that's cool.

Your other post re Boyd et al has made me wonder in more detail about particular player moves.

From a great distance I'd guess:

Neale - good sales pitch, $$, anonymity and an eagerness to get away from a toxic environment
Shiel - go home, $$, off-field opportunities (property etc)
Stringer - had burnt bridges, sales pitch, strong image management and PR (seriously)
Lynch - sales pitch, off-field/post-career $ opportunities, team success
T.Kelly - go home, $$, off-field opportunities (the magical cap), team success

Using my completely subjective analysis, that concludes that about 40% or less of the motivation of good or relatively good player movements was related to team success.

They reported over several years that we made big money offers to Andrew Gaff, Dustin Martin and Josh Kelly (multiple times) but didn't convince any of them to move clubs.

As the trio all remained at their original clubs, to me it's no different than Brown/Goldy signing with us as they would certainly have had other offers.So yes if that's the point he's right.

I couldn't give a flying fu** about what outsiders think, it's when our own gobble up this crap and behave like scorned lovers that the (see below) emanates from my mind.

Get your own Gif dude

tenor.gif

I do agree but wouldn't mind seeing Pittard's name removed there. Yes, he was steak knives but he wasn't in any danger of being turfed by Port. He had a very decent contract there.
Was mostly playing seniors but treading water at best. Port were trying to give kids his job. Would have half heartedly played out his contract in the SANFL. We gave him a fresh start.

I want to see a poor year from him
Buy low people

Time you went all Tonya Harding on him

He's still easily their most influential player when he's 100%.

Whitfield is just as good and coniglo/ Cameron better

If kelly doesn’t have a good year - I hope we don’t offer to much

Was mostly playing seniors but treading water at best. Port were trying to give kids his job. Would have half heartedly played out his contract in the SANFL. We gave him a fresh start.

Hinkley's game plan didn't suit him, and it doesn't suit a few other Port players either.

IMO, they have aenough talent on their list to challenge the top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Boyd must have had some amazing tea leaves.

Hard to explain why Shiel and Stringer went to *

No one wanted to touch Stringer, everyone met with him and didn't want.

Shiel gets a job and inside track at Andrew Welsh's $35m+ property development empire.

Feels like I am always posting about this, but footy is about who you know, especially high quality player recruitment.

Lack of questions around Adam Treloar's move has led to clubs to doing some shady s**t to get blokes in.

No one wanted to touch Stringer, everyone met with him and didn't want.

Shiel gets a job and inside track at Andrew Welsh's $35m+ property development empire.

Feels like I am always posting about this, but footy is about who you know, especially high quality player recruitment.

Lack of questions around Adam Treloar's move has led to clubs to doing some shady s**t to get blokes in.

Correct.

Not many people know Polec has got a gig behind the bar at the Leveson for life.

Kelly at his best has them all covered comfortably.
Agree, 18 months ago he was arguably the best in the business, he's now injury free and just about to hit his prime.

He will toy with the league this year.

Agree, 18 months ago he was arguably the best in the business, he's now injury free and just about to hit his prime.

He will toy with the league this year.

He's a star, and if the cards fall right, he'll be a North star.

Some people are over analysing why Players want to go to a Club^

One word

Winning

Winning each week
Winning Finals
Winning GFs

Until we start consistently winning we won’t attract much

Winning + a spot in the side.

Winning + a spot in the side.

The second one has so many variables

I do think that much of the pressure on AFL players is the misunderstanding of the greater public about how difficult a game AFL is to play, let alone today’s game where your role (outside of on ballers) could be 3 or 4 acts per game that must be carried out to PERFECTION every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back