List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North II - It's Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sets a deadline, Kelly bypasses and ignores deadline, GWS set a new extended deadline.

At least he's thinking about it, which is more than I thought earlier this morning. I still have little doubt that he stays.

The diference is Cam Guthrie doesn't bleed North Melbourne.

Josh Kelly IS North Melbourne. Look past him rejecting us 3+ times and not coming when we really needed the vote of confidence.

He's as North Melbourne as those curly chips they sell on family days, shin beef or Nick Theodossi's prestige vehicles. He's pure Arden Street, in a neat $1.1mill a year package.

And don't even start me on his captaincy credentials. As I've already had to explain, GWS kept him away from the senior captaincy because they were afraid he was so much captain he'd overcaptain the sh*t out of the captaincy.

Basically he's a perfect human being, he loves North Melbourne more than he loves his morning coffee and all that's stopped him joining until now was the fact we couldn't put forward a strong enough case to show him we're worth his consideration.

Winning Josh Kelly is like winning the right to host any major sporting event. Not only do you need buckets of cash, you also need to have a flashy presentation and push all your riff raff well out of sight (or make them Gold Coast AFLW coach or the Head of AFL Victoria) to clinch the deal.

I reckon this proves GWS are still comfortable with $8m/8years.

Any idea that they may have regretted the big offer or wanted to renegotiate is now void.

Really curious and keen to know what North have put on the table.

Last edited:
If he comes great - if not, save up and get harry in a few years time - not like we are going for a flag next year.

The goal posts have shifted in our favour - if you wanna come, if you dont itll be your loss because we are well placed to have the best midfield in the comp by a long way - if you look at the dogs when they developed, hunter, mcrae, bont etc where gonna be good - we have more elite talent in there then that and depth.

think we are well placed either way.

[
If he comes great - if not, save up and get harry in a few years time - not like we are going for a flag next year.

The goal posts have shifted in our favour - if you wanna come, if you dont itll be your loss because we are well placed to have the best midfield in the comp by a long way - if you look at the dogs when they developed, hunter, mcrae, bont etc where gonna be good - we have more elite talent in there then that and depth.

Ben king would be a better chance if the Suns are still ass

Any idea that they may have regretted the big offer or wanted to renegotiate is now void.

Unless they are rebuilding I think that is incredibly unlikely. I can't see that deal on the table for him no matter what hand shandies went on a few years ago.

How do you come to this conclusion?

The article states that both parties have agreed to a deadline extension, which could easily mean GWS are feeling the waters and okay with him being off the books.

“Both GWS and Kelly agreed that it was in both parties’ interests to extend the deadline from last Saturday by some weeks”.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Interesting GWS originally wanted to know by July 31 (last week) still no answer and extended but no mention of when til

reckon he’s ours

Maybe the no deadline leaves it open until the end of the year to let him go as a FA.

“Both GWS and Kelly agreed that it was in both parties’ interests to extend the deadline from last Saturday by some weeks.”

On the same day:

Cal Twomey, AFL Media: “I think Josh Kelly stays if I was making the call right now and I think that’s the vibe that most clubs out there are getting.”

Jake Niall, The Age: “North Melbourne are heavily favoured to win Kelly’s signature, according to multiple sources familiar with Kelly’s situation”

More false claims and faux ITKs than Bigfooty

On the same day:

Cal Twomey, AFL Media: “I think Josh Kelly stays if I was making the call right now and I think that’s the vibe that most clubs out there are getting.”

Jake Niall, The Age: “North Melbourne are heavily favoured to win Kelly’s signature, according to multiple sources familiar with Kelly’s situation”

Wow. It's happening (possibly, depending on who you believe).

On the same day:

I wouldn’t know who is more reliable re trades. Twomey is more of a draft bloke.

I wouldn’t know who is more reliable re trades. Twomey is more of a draft bloke.
I mean one talks about vibes in general club recruiting circles but doesn't say he has a source, whereas the other supposedly heard from sources close to the situation. I think Niall may know more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twomey’s comments were more opinion than anything else. Pretty sure it was just a comment when speaking on the AFL exchange podcast.
If Niall is claiming there are sources to back it up, it sounds more substantial to me.

I really hope we aren’t paying through the roof to try get him across. Even now we’re trying to get midfield minutes into Phillips, Powell, Stephenson, Thomas, etc. I would hate to hinder a young player’s development or potentially lose a young talent for someone older and on a lot more money.

I mean one talks about vibes in general club recruiting circles but doesn't say he has a source, whereas the other supposedly heard from sources close to the situation. I think Niall may know more.
Twomey’s comments were more opinion than anything else. Pretty sure it was just a comment when speaking on the AFL exchange podcast.
If Niall is claiming there are sources to back it up, it sounds more substantial to me.

I really hope we aren’t paying through the roof to try get him across. Even now we’re trying to get midfield minutes into Phillips, Powell, Stephenson, Thomas, etc. I would hate to hinder a young player’s development or potentially lose a young talent for someone older and on a lot more money.

That’s the way I interpreted it, but I don’t want to get too invested in all this. Happy if he comes, wouldn’t be upset if he doesn’t. Same as last time.

I'm pretty sure GWS had a silly mid season deadline in the last big negotiation, was futile holding him to this one. He chooses when he chooses and he knows that.

Comben > Harry with in 4 years
Better a ruck and/ or CHB

That’s the way I interpreted it, but I don’t want to get too invested in all this. Happy if he comes, wouldn’t be upset if he doesn’t. Same as last time.

I was disappointed when we missed out on him last time. He was younger, playing very well at the time and we had less midfield talent on our list. All those factors have changed in 2 years.

Interesting GWS originally wanted to know by July 31 (last week) still no answer and extended but no mention of when til

reckon he’s ours

Seems strange to place a deadline before the season ends. Even if that was the deadline, and he said ‘yes’, there would have been a press conference on 1 August. If he says ‘no’, there’s no press conference to announce he’s leaving but there’s a ‘line’ fed that the decision’s been put off until the end of the season.

So it’s now ‘perfectly clear’ that he:

- has made the decision to leave and the message is being managed; or
- he genuinely has put off the decision to the end of the year; or
- he’s staying at GWS but they haven’t announced it just to keep this thread going for another 3 weeks!

Extending the deadline has me wondering how has his contract been written. Is it possible he has a clause that said - if he decides to leave GWS wouldnt match a bid or stand in his way.

Not sure if that would be within the rules, but i do wonder given GWS are still clearly keen on him for 8m over 8. For us to avoid a bid we'd have to have agreed to at least match it or mostly likely beat it.
- So if we said we'd match or beat it theres no reason for Kelly to agree to extending the deadline.
- If he has a get out clause as mentioned, he may still negotiating with North on lesser terms but still something he can live with. Maybe something like 800k / year over 5 or 6.

It's a great discussion point & without visibility on the specifics of Kelly's "agreement" contract & our future cap plans, it's all guess work.

Pro's:
- A superstar may have chosen to come to North Melbourne. Which would speak volumes of the direction of the club, the list, the coach & the future.
- The benefits to our young players of playing alongside someone like Kelly. He is only going to make LDU, Simpkin, Thomas, Phillips, Powell etc. life easier.
- Cunnington's age & future. He's 30 & I want him to play for another 4, but how realistic is this? There is a 7 year gap between Cunnington & Simpkin in terms of age profile which will hurt us at times in coming years, without another star in that gap IMO.
- A 2024 midfield of 33Y.O Cunnington, 30Y.O Kelly, 26Y.O Simpkin, 25Y.O Davies-Uniacke, 25Y.O Stephenson, 24Y.O Thomas, 22Y.O Phillips, 22Y.O Powell & 21Y.O Horne/Callaghan.
- We have long been rumored to have bulk cap room, which would allow us to front-load a deal that wouldn't hurt us in the future.

Con's:
- The rumored 8 years. It's a ridiculous contract length considering his age.
- I don't necessarily agree that he is a $1M player.
- His injury history.

Questions that need to be answered:
- If he does, why does he want to come to North?
- If it's not financial, will he accept less then an 8 year deal?

Regardless, If they sign him, I back Noble, Luff & Rawlings to have a really clear plan on how to accommodate Kelly, our young players & future targets.
Great post mate.
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back