List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North II - It's Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player agent. Not sure who he has on his roster though.
Ben Niall is someone who does not manage Josh Kelly.

But speaking of managers, if you go back to Paul Connors saying he wants his players to win premierships, it all hinges on whether Kelly thinks it's just never going to happen at GWS, and sees us on the rise.

I've seen Barry Cable say "I wanted to help North Melbourne win a premiership" - maybe instead of just going along for the ride at GWS, Josh can be convinced that he is the missing piece of our puzzle.

Does anybody know if we can pay over the salary cap this year, due to being under previous year/s & ‘banking’ money?
Carlton did this a couple years back…
Surely, we have been paying the bare minimum for a couple seasons at least.
I’d imagine we’d have plenty spare to front load the sh** out of Kelly’s contract.

We paid 104% of the cap last year

How do you know this?
can we see what all teams paid last year?

I was told this (by someone at the club obviously) at the end of last year as the reason we weren't chasing any big $$ free agents last off season, specifically as to why we didn't target someone like Jeremy Cameron to replace BB, as we simply could not afford to fit him in. I've stated this a few times now but people clearly have trouble believing we don't have a gigantic mega warchest every year to throw at any and all players we see fit at any given time, so this will be the last time I bring it up.

FWIW I don't know any specifics of how it was structured, how much certain players are on, or how we are structuring our cap payments going forwards. Simply passing on the info.

I was told this (by someone at the club obviously) at the end of last year as the reason we weren't chasing any big $$ free agents last off season, specifically as to why we didn't target someone like Jeremy Cameron to replace BB, as we simply could not afford to fit him in. I've stated this a few times now but people clearly have trouble believing we don't have a gigantic mega warchest every year to throw at any and all players we see fit at any given time, so this will be the last time I bring it up.

FWIW I don't know any specifics of how it was structured, how much certain players are on, or how we are structuring our cap payments going forwards. Simply passing on the info.
This is clearly bullshit.
Your sauce is taking the piss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t you have to pay the full amount every couple of years? I’m not sure why but i thought it was a thing.

Yeah… not buying that.
I find it incredibly hard to believe we paid over the salary cap last year, or any year for that matter…
We have have thrown big money around every year & not landed anyone. We have heaps to spare!

Assuming this is accurate - it could well be - who cares?

We have to pay a floor and we've had Kelly on the radar financially for half a decade plus. We pay 104% because every dollar we bring forward is an extra dollar we can spend in subsequent years. I have zero doubt that we have an absolute arsenal of available cap money in the next two years.

This is clearly bullshit.
Your sauce is taking the piss.
Why must he be lying? The only part I take a bit of umbrage with is the idea we couldn't afford big dollar recruits.

If you're not being squeezed by the cap it's going to be a cyclical exercise where you underspend and bank credit for a year or two and then you pay the difference another year. All us paying 104% of the cap implies is that we underspent by 4% the year (or over the last two years) before. That's how it's supposed to work. I would imagine our base salary cap payments don't come up to near the 100%, and spending 104% simply meant we restructured a few deals to be frontloaded more heavily. The alternative that year would have been to recruit someone on big dollars.

This makes sense to me. If true, we’re either negligently overpayed our young team, or we’ve front-loaded the living crap out of our contracts and have a tonne of free cap space for next year.

And with a tonne of cap space we could...

Yeah… not buying that.
I find it incredibly hard to believe we paid over the salary cap last year, or any year for that matter…
We have have thrown big money around every year & not landed anyone. We have heaps to spare!
I'm not sure about how long you can keep the underspend. Maybe we paid more to offset the underspend from 2018 and front ended some of our existing contracts, giving us the capacity to overspend again next year?

This makes sense to me. If true, we’re either negligently overpayed our young team, or we’ve front-loaded the living crap out of our contracts and have a tonne of free cap space for next year.

And with a tonne of cap space we could...

Bingo.

I'm not sure about how long you can keep the underspend. Maybe we paid more to offset the underspend from 2018 and front ended some of our existing contracts, giving us the capacity to overspend again next year?
I *think* you can bank it for 2 years, but don't take my word as it's been a few years since I last checked the rules.

I *think* you can bank it for 2 years, but don't take my word as it's been a few years since I last checked the rules.

You can bank it yes, but then you can also restructure existing contracts the following year. We've been kicking the can down the road for quite a few years and in a sense you can almost do it indefinitely.

You can bank it yes, but then you can also restructure existing contracts the following year. We've been kicking the can down the road for quite a few years and in a sense you can almost do it indefinitely.
Yeah my assumption has been that's what we've been doing for nigh on 4-5 years.

Yeah my assumption has been that's what we've been doing for nigh on 4-5 years.

I think in a sense if you're doing this it is only really list spots that end up with a premium - and we cleared a hell of a lot of those last year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back