List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North II - It's Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not interested - having good people at the club is more important in this rebuild. His value has dropped and why should we play hard ball for someone that’s historically shown he doesn’t want to be here? Use the money in the future to hold onto LDU, Simpkin etc.

I think we have another "community engager" here.

I think we have another "community engager" here.
Of course not questioning his footballing ability, but more so his intent and what he can bring to the younger blokes. Asking the question, “why do you want to play for North?”

If GWS's options were paying Kelly $1M a year til retirement or finding him a home that he really, really wants to go to I reckon they'd be frantically looking for a club that ticks all his boxes. That's the kind of deal that could destroy any hope they have for the next half decade.

We'll have to pay the cap minimum this year, will struggle without 1-2 decent names coming in.
Give him a front loaded contract he cant refuse and then minimal pay when the younger guys stand demanding big bucks.

kelly isn’t synonymous with decent anymore these days.

If GWS's options were paying Kelly $1M a year til retirement or finding him a home that he really, really wants to go to I reckon they'd be frantically looking for a club that ticks all his boxes. That's the kind of deal that could destroy any hope they have for the next half decade.
Josh Kelly deal is the poison chalice.. at present he’s not worth it but what ever they do from here could haunt them..

Josh Kelly deal is the poison chalice.. at present he’s not worth it but what ever they do from here could haunt them..
Is it just me or does the Josh Kelly potential deal to us smell like another Jared Polac disaster?
Although I regard Kelly the Much better of the 2 . I see some alarm bells if & when the deal happens.
Both are front runners , lack a bit of ticker , don’t like the rough stuff , play a little selfish outside mids & will have come from higher finishing clubs than us (win v loss) ratio.
Don’t know about you guys but I’m thinking walk away now . Don’t freaken make the same mistake twice ?!

Is it just me or does the Josh Kelly potential deal to us smell like another Jared Polac disaster?
Although I regard Kelly the Much better of the 2 . I see some alarm bells if & when the deal happens.
Both are front runners , lack a bit of ticker , don’t like the rough stuff , play a little selfish outside mids & will have come from higher finishing clubs than us (win v loss) ratio.
Don’t know about you guys but I’m thinking walk away now . Don’t freaken make the same mistake twice ?!
I think that’s a bit unfair, Kelly pressure acts and tackle numbers are generally pretty good.
but I agree at the moment on current output he isn’t worth it.

Problem is he has mr potential written all over him, his good games are fantastic and he could break out, win a couple of brownlows and make everyone look silly, for not going hard for him..
there’s no win..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It feels exactly like the Sean Higgins situation to me. A guy who has shown real class but hampered with one thing or another, crying out for a fresh start. I would love to get him.
He's exactly what we need. Will complement Higgins beautifully. Get it done Joycey....

By all accounts Josh is not your average footballer type person. Hugely values driven and loyal but above all professional in all aspects of his life. No dissimilar to the way our own Will Philips is described.

My take on the situation is that he ended up at GWS as a foundational lvl player and made the choice to back his team, mates and himself in to deliver a golden era at his club.

That hurt from a North perspective but he was loyal to them and himself, not disloyal to North.

Of course 2/3 years later - the world has changed. GWS's fortunes are not as rosy, Josh's health not so good and his form not as electrifying while still pretty good.

Now comes the contract situation..........

I believe Josh is extremely self aware and will once again seek a direction that supports his team , himself and the few team mates he has left.

This contract is a huge weight around GWS's neck - 8 years at 1 mill a year until 34 years old.

Josh is a business man but not driven by money who will cut a win/win/win deal to find a new home. I think he will reduce the number of years if needed, GWS contribute to his salary, whatever levers there are to repackage a deal that works. it currently sits as a nuclear depth charge to his own club.

Will it be to North?

I don't see North going all in on Josh but if the right deal ie. no first rounders, no 1 million a year for 8 years etc - I think we would making it happen. I believe its in Josh's & GWS's best interest to make it happen.

North is one of few teams with capacity to deal but wont at the expense of high draft picks.

Verdict: A 60/40 yes from me - I can see effort to make it happen, perhaps not from our push this time, at the very least.

What do I want?

I want Josh to announce that he wants to go to North and an effort to make it happen, if it does great, if not - fine

Kelly would be nuts to stay on that deal. It would hamstring the Giants. He seems like the sort of guy that would like a chance at some silverware.

By all accounts Josh is not your average footballer type person. Hugely values driven and loyal but above all professional in all aspects of his life. No dissimilar to the way our own Will Philips is described.

My take on the situation is that he ended up at GWS as a foundational lvl player and made the choice to back his team, mates and himself in to deliver a golden era at his club.

That hurt from a North perspective but he was loyal to them and himself, not disloyal to North.

Of course 2/3 years later - the world has changed. GWS's fortunes are not as rosy, Josh's health not so good and his form not as electrifying while still pretty good.

Now comes the contract situation..........

I believe Josh is extremely self aware and will once again seek a direction that supports his team , himself and the few team mates he has left.

This contract is a huge weight around GWS's neck - 8 years at 1 mill a year until 34 years old.

Josh is a business man but not driven by money who will cut a win/win/win deal to find a new home. I think he will reduce the number of years if needed, GWS contribute to his salary, whatever levers there are to repackage a deal that works. it currently sits as a nuclear depth charge to his own club.

Will it be to North?

I don't see North going all in on Josh but if the right deal ie. no first rounders, no 1 million a year for 8 years etc - I think we would making it happen. I believe its in Josh's & GWS's best interest to make it happen.

North is one of few teams with capacity to deal but wont at the expense of high draft picks.

Verdict: A 60/40 yes from me - I can see effort to make it happen, perhaps not from our push this time, at the very least.

What do I want?

I want Josh to announce that he wants to go to North and an effort to make it happen, if it does great, if not - fine

Good analysis and opinion. However, JK's performance in critical 'final's games' has been ordinary at best. GWS must be re thinking that stupid 8 year million dollar contract they set up has been a poor decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back