List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North II - It's Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can’t remember who posted it, but the ‘trigger’ can’t be part of an AFL player contract as it stands under current rules.

So, the CBA section 21.1 (g) says this:

The way I read this, the "8 year extension" isn’t actually a thing, beyond an in-principle agreement to maybe extend the existing deal. While it would burn goodwill with Josh and his agent, GWS are entirely within their rights to say sorry mate, things have changed, COVID, cap reductions, can’t afford it, let’s renegotiate at your market value. This would of course be paving the way for him to leave via FA. I can’t see a sign-and-trade deal getting done either, so no chance of them picking up any of his cap hit.

Put another way, JK doesn’t have a "contract" so much as a "press release".

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Would prefer to keep playing the kids and build our list. Give the good kids contracts they deserve in a couple of years. No point landing a big fish now whilst were at the bottom.

North 1972: Finishes last with 1-21
North 1973: Recruits Davis, Rantall & Wade, and debuts Schimmelbusch, Burns, Nolan and Sutton. Finishes 6th.
North 1974: Recruits Cable, Blight and Chisnall. Plays off in the grand final.

It can turn around a lot quicker than you think.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
North 1973: Recruits Davis, Rantall & Wade, and debuts Schimmelbusch, Burns, Nolan and Sutton. Finishes 6th.

Completely irrelevant to anything being discussed.

Horne, Kelly and Harry McKay 2021 version

Nylex

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Id love that! If JK comes across, i hope the pieces of the puzzle come together just as quickly. Am happy to back in the list build and keep the war chest for our home grown stars in a couple of years though aswell.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Completely irrelevant to anything being discussed.

Snake is right though, its the ability to become an attractive destination. During the 90's many a top footballer wanted to play with North, we just couldn't fit them in ( salary cap) Alister Lynch is one.

We will need to do more than just rely on the draft or we'll get nowhere. We are in a great position as weve plenty of room in our cap, how could other sides with scant more wins than us be bursting at the seams. The mind boggles.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can’t imagine he is doing the extra running that would be needed to be a 2 way midfielder in the modern game. Are you suggesting any of the young guys I posted are contested beasts like Ben that won’t need to work on their 2 way running?

Ben does plenty of running at training, have seen that with my own eyes.

My point is that it’s garbage that Ben doesn’t train hard.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The key is to bring in some ready made blokes, not just rely on the draft.
So there was a draft in the early 70’s? You’re comparing the tactics of a club in a state based league with no draft component to the tactics 50 years later on when we have a national competition with drafts, free agency and player trading.

You really are a simpleton.

So there was a draft in the early 70’s? You’re comparing the tactics of a club in a state based league with no draft component to the tactics 50 years later on when we have a national competition with drafts, free agency and player trading.

You really are a simpleton.
I predict waffle, waffle; break out thesaurus, no context; waffle, deflect, abuse.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Snake is right though, its the ability to become an attractive destination. During the 90's many a top footballer wanted to play with North, we just couldn't fit them in ( salary cap) Alister Lynch is one.

We will need to do more than just rely on the draft or we'll get nowhere. We are in a great position as weve plenty of room in our cap, how could other sides with scant more wins than us be bursting at the seams. The mind boggles.
Recruiting the right players is a no brainer. As long as we dont just buy a good player for the sake of it, like Carton did which ultimately made them no better and have reached their ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back