List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North II - It's Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelly pulled out his best performance in ages on the weekend.. Why? Is it because he has something to prove or it a Kerridge thing? I have faith in our coaches but I don't get the impression our current management would want someone who just came across for money when development and youth has been talked about so consistently.
Josh put in his best performance for the year to try & ensure he would be playing alongside Horne next year...

So... if Josh wants to leave, but GWS want to keep him or are not happy with the compensation & are prepared to match our offer. Does anyone actually know if we can offer $1.5 million over 2 years to price them out & get him as a Free Agent?
And then go down to $500k-$600k for the next 4-5 years.

Last edited:

I think josh not jumping the ship when everyone else did and he’s given most of his footy career to GWS they would be reluctant to make it difficult for him to leave (if he wants)

In saying that, I believe any club would want to compensated
He's easily one of their best players, but it's not like he's a key forward like Cameron who are a strategic necessity. 1st round compo wouldn't match Kelly's true value, but it's also not awful and given the circumstances they'd probably take it. As someone else mentioned earlier though, we'd possibly/probably sweeten it a bit for them in a sperate deal. A pick swap that favours them, or take on another salary dump but pay what the player is actually worth instead of unders. Something like that.

In the scheme of thing band one compo would see them ending up with three first rounders this draft. I really don't think they would sweat it too hard if Kelly really wanted out, not after him sticking around loyally in the past.

So... if Josh wants to leave, but GWS want to keep him & are prepared to match our offer.
Does anyone actually know if we can offer $1.5 million over 2 years to price them out & get him as a Free Agent?
Minimum contract length for RFA is two years, so the first part is fine.
If we then followed up with the second part the AFL may look further into it and would no doubt sanction us if they thought there had been any funny business.

If we then followed up with the second part the AFL may look further into it and would no doubt sanction us if they thought there had been any funny business.
The media were outright bandying it about as an option for the Brad Crouch escapades last year.

Matching Offers
A contract offer is matched if the football payments and ASAs are equivalent under the offer and the contract proposed by the player’s current club. To qualify as a matching offer, the player’s current club must make an offer on the same terms as the new offer tabled by the player including:

• Contract length;
• Base payments;
• Total match payments;
• Total ASA payments;

Total performance incentives based on AFL awards or honours, club best and fairest finish or games played (not including finals). Any incentives for team performance do not have to be matched. A player cannot table an offer to be matched for less than a two-year contract length.

So we could offer that scenario but GWS would have to match it, if we think they cannot afford the $1.5 mill this year and next?

Matching Offers
A contract offer is matched if the football payments and ASAs are equivalent under the offer and the contract proposed by the player’s current club. To qualify as a matching offer, the player’s current club must make an offer on the same terms as the new offer tabled by the player including:

• Contract length;
• Base payments;
• Total match payments;
• Total ASA payments;

Total performance incentives based on AFL awards or honours, club best and fairest finish or games played (not including finals). Any incentives for team performance do not have to be matched. A player cannot table an offer to be matched for less than a two-year contract length.

So we could offer that scenario but GWS would have to match it, if we think they cannot afford the $1.5 mill this year and next?
His manager would be mad to accept this. And possibly up for civil action if it went south and Josh did a knee.

So... if Josh wants to leave, but GWS want to keep him or are not happy with the compensation & are prepared to match our offer. Does anyone actually know if we can offer $1.5 million over 2 years to price them out & get him as a Free Agent?
What's to stop GWS matching that offer unless they can't fit it into their cap (or the AFL can't manipulate some situation such as a special corrupt payment ambassadorship? If the tabled offer is 2 years they do the same and at the end of two there is a new contract up for negotiation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The appeal for Josh this time around, is that he can see GWS are not winning a premiership anytime soon.
When he signed on last time, they were on the cusp & he no doubt thought they’d have a flag by now & be right in the thick of it, not missing out on finals for the second year running.
Perfect chance for him to come home & play for the club his Dad played for & he grew up loving.

I thought it was just the overall contract, not matching every year, just for this reason.
I might be wrong, but my understanding is that they match the contract, that includes all terms not just years and total money. If was that, then that would make less sense to me.

I suspect Kelly will be at North next year but we will have to give up Horne to get him.

Heres how I see it unfolding.

Kelly nominates North.

GWS threaten to match unless we trade them pick 1.

We agree.

Kelly comes to North as a FA giving GWS pick 10 to add to their 3 + 9.

We then trade 1 + 38 to GWS.

They send 9, 10 + future 1st to us.

We end up with 3 likely top 10 picks + Kelly. Also some key position types in Williams and Gibcus or small forward in Rachele could be available at around10.

GWS end up with 1,3 and add 38 which is handy for their points matching on Fahey who likely goes around the top 10.

Last edited:
I suspect Kelly will be at North next year but we will have to give up Horne to get him.

Kelly nominates North.

We agree.

Kelly comes to North as a FA giving GWS pick 10.

We end up with 3 likely top 10 picks + Kelly. Also some key position types in Williams and Gibcus or small forward in Rachele could be available at around10.

GWS end up with 1,3 and add 38 which is handy for their points matching on Fahey who likely goes around the top 10.

This should keep the neurotics busy for a while.

Front load the absolute * out of it. 2m his 1st year. Polec is in the final stages and his $ P.A have dropped significantly, so we will have the room to make a play. If we go extremely hard on the 1st year or two of his contract then the remaining years will be quite reasonable for a player of his ilk, and give us room to keep our kids as they get better. Another 300 to 400k off the books for Tyson. Money is there. My issue is the length of contract. 8 years is very very high. 5 would be ideal

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kelly nominates North.

We agree.

North has never had pick 1. This year the number 1 player is head and shoulders above the rest. I can’t see any way that pick is traded.

Kelly nominates North.

We agree.

Tell them they’re dreaming!

Kelly nominates North.

We agree.

Lot of faith shown by GWS that we wouldn't renege once RFA was done.
Also, not in a million years!

Kelly nominates North.

We agree.

Any trade scenario would only involve next years first.

(Hawks and Pies tanking aside) the Hornet is ours..

Kelly nominates North.

We agree.

1) Josh will select to leave GWS or Stay. If he stays, end of story.

2) If Josh nominated that he wanted to return to Victoria and nominates a club, then GWS has 3 choices.

a) Match the contract bid.

b) arrange a trade with the club

c) accept a compensation pick (band 1)

3) If the GWS match the bid, but the player is still adamant that they are going to move, then there are 2 outcomes

a) The player waits until their current contract expires and applies for inclusion in the national draft

b) The player waits until their current contract expires and applies for inclusion in the pre-season draft

Result: If the player is adamant about returning to Victoria, it is in the best interests for GWS to either seek a trade with the destination club or to accept the compensation pick. The alternative is to end up with nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back