List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North II - It's Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then call them half-backs, not quarter backs. Its an unwanted Americanism.

the half back today does what the quarterback does.

old school half backs are your bounty hunter type crooks who goes around hurting people, ala martin pike these days they are the generals of the team.

Kelly will be a fantastic addition to the squad, second to Cunners in impact on the team. Anyone who doesn't want him because of snubbles last time is living in the past. That he stayed for a tilt at a flag should be no reason to be all jilted now.

Front load the crap outta any deal, then we will have all the space we need to extend our youngsters, none of whom will want to leave because flags.

the half back today does what the quarterback does.

old school half backs are your bounty hunter type crooks who goes around hurting people, ala martin pike these days they are the generals of the team.

They are still half backs. They are not quarter backs. It is an Australian game, called Australian Rules Football. Can you imagine anyone using the term "half back flanker" when talking about their game over there?

However, if you would care to have a look at the link below and point me to where it shows the position "quarter back" on an Australian Rules team sheet, then I will unequivocally apologise to you.

I totally agree. Its the wrong message to send to our young developing bunch of midfielders. I don't care how much space we have in the Salary Cap.

And, is there any reason why with that space we can't re-visit the contracts that some of these very promising young players are on and upgrade and extend them?

I know we only beat Carlton, whose close to best player was absent, being Harry (the lesser talented of the twins), but it was still a pretty good display and along with the win against the Eagles, I think our young bunch of players are on a very good trajectory. Let's not put any thing in place that might derail that.

Don't want to pretend to know the man but it would seem perverse to me if Nobes did not back in the natural development of our own midfielders under the tutelage of our vastly underrated grandpa -Cunners

Don't want to pretend to know the man but it would seem perverse to me if Nobes did not back in the natural development of our own midfielders under the tutelage of our vastly underrated grandpa -Cunners

And if I'm not mistaken the young boys at the club love him. As just one example, Stevo spoke very glowingly about him on the Channel 9 footy show yesterday.

yes we do, it's called half-back, they are the most important players these days followed by wingmen.
Yes we have half backs.

We don't have quarter backs.

They're in a different game.

There was a half-back flanker up until the 70's in the NFL. It was a half-back split out a bit for a sweep or receiver role. Was shortened to flanker-back, and later, just flanker. Similar position now called a slot receiver with passing being a far bigger part of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for Kelly, I’m not thinking about it at all. If he wants to come then awesome but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Yet-Here-We-Are.gif

Not a great example. Didn't end too well for either party.

well, a period of good time is worth all the bad eyyy, if you are to tell me that we will win 2 flags this decade but spend the next 3 bottom of the table, most would take that at an instant...

I totally agree. Its the wrong message to send to our young developing bunch of midfielders. I don't care how much space we have in the Salary Cap.

And, is there any reason why with that space we can't re-visit the contracts that some of these very promising young players are on and upgrade and extend them?

I know we only beat Carlton, whose close to best player was absent, being Harry (the lesser talented of the twins), but it was still a pretty good display and along with the win against the Eagles, I think our young bunch of players are on a very good trajectory. Let's not put any thing in place that might derail that.

I largely agree with you, but a free agent of his caliber is hard to ignore. Im fully happy to back our staff and leadership group on this one, either way.

But i will say, with a large group of highly skilled mids coming through and the way the game is played these days (needing a high number) - then over paying one is fraught with danger. I honestly see the group as helping each other become better. To which.....

As i said on here years ago, id personally look at more incentivized salary structure that we could be used for a long term model. Just for example -
  • If we finished top 4 we pay 100% of the cap
  • 4-8 then 95%
  • whatever the min is below that
  • Then top line mids for which we might have 7 or 8 are all on say 500k with scope to earn up to 700k if we make top 4, they play most games and meet certain metrics - including 1%ers.
  • Proven key position players might have the same, with flankers/ pockets ranging in a lower bracket but with incentives that they could earn 500k.

Something like this would ensure we're about rewarding performance no matter what you name or past performance is. Reduce the play out of your skin factor in a contract year and signal to the list we're about rewarding them handsomely while being focused team success first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back