List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North | PConnors - Kelly would come home for family reasons -NBowen says NM $10m/9yrs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lance Franklin says mega contracts are here to stay in AFL
NEIL CORDY, The Daily Telegraph
April 5, 2017 7:36pm

LANCE Franklin says everyone should get used to multi-million-dollar, long-term contracts like the deal North Melbourne reportedly has offered Josh Kelly to lure him from Greater Western Sydney.

Franklin’s nine-year, $10 million deal set new benchmarks when he left Hawthorn to join Sydney at the end of 2013.

He believes the new era of massive player movement and an ever-increasing salary cap will mean the nine-year $9 million offer for Kelly, 22, will become commonplace.

“That’s the industry now,” said Franklin, who will play his 250th game on Friday night against Collingwood.

“Longer-term contracts are coming in into the system.

“I’ll leave that up to him to make his decision as to what he wants to do, but good luck to him."

Tom Boyd was the last big-name Giant to be lured away when he accepted a seven-year, $7 million deal to move to the Western Bulldogs.

Kelly is off contract at the end of this season and despite the size of the offer and the inability of GWS to match it because of salary cap restrictions, Giants coach Leon Cameron said he was certain he would keep his young star.

“We’re really confident we can retain him,” Cameron said.

“He really likes the place and has bought in to our footy club. He’s in our leadership group and is playing some really good footy, he’s popular and he wants to stay. We look forward to getting him done and dusted in the next couple of weeks or month.”

Cameron said the practice of leaking details of contracts was deliberate and becoming commonplace.

“I think it’s a tactic, let’s be honest,” Cameron said.

“There would be people out there from every footy club trying to secure talent from our footy club or wherever, whether it’s Adelaide, Queensland or Western Australia. It will happen more and more.

“We’ve seen it at our footy club. We’ve secured some outstanding players from other footy clubs who have performed really well and we’ve lost a few as well, but we’re really confident of retaining Josh.”

Giants co-captain Phil Davis, who will play his 100th in Hobart on Saturday against North Melbourne, said Kelly was happy at the Giants and in Sydney.

“The club will take care of that,” Davis said.

“As players we just let him do his thing. His form has been outstanding, he’s in the leadership group and he loves Sydney. He just got a little dog called Kobe and is taking over Sydney.”

Treloar went for 2 pick 7's.
They got a 2nd back in the deal and Treloar had done more than Kelly. Kelly still has the rest of the year to explode though and he looks like he could do. Treloar was regarded higher after their 3rd year. Who knows after their 4th.

Last edited:
They got a 2nd back in the deal and Treloar had done more than Kelly. Kelly still has the rest of the year to explode though and he looks like he could do. Treloar was regarded higher after their 3rd year. Who knows after their 4th.

Had he? I reckon they'd be about the same tbh. Treloar wasn't getting anywhere near the love from the media till he moved to the pies. Similarly as underrated as Kelly. I remember explaining to a Collingwood supporter how good he was.

Kelly is two years younger so the comparsion with Treloar's last year with GWS is this year for Kelly.

Kelly has started the year with 27 & 27. He is every chance to be as good if not better than Treloar at the same age at years end. Kelly is a much better kick.

Out of those I'd send off Garner with barely a thought.

I like the kid but we have enough in that area that can cover it.

Just my opinion though.

I doubt he'd be enough.

He's got talent sure, has had massive issues staying on field.

I'm shocked sitting here in front of you all reading multiple offerings of Goldstein and a 1st Rd pick. Where's the fan club with the tar and feathers?

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

It's a premature call based on the out put of a kid in two games.

Not saying it won't happen, but I doubt, strongly doubt, it would be our first choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like it will come to a head next few days and watch the media have ago saying we are not the choice destination for players.

And if nothing happens, welcome to North Josh.

There was an age article on Jan 30 saying he'd put pen to paper soon with all parties being happy with the length.

This suggests to me one of a couple of things.

1) the leak came from his management and is for this meeting to boost his contract value.

2) it is actually a godfather offer and is going to be too good to refuse.

The fact signing has already been delayed says to me there is issues in value. Which is exactly what we want.

Dogs gave up Griffen and pick 5 for Boyd.

Kelly is ten times the player Boyd was at the time they moved.

The cost will be very, very high.

dont forget boyd had a year to run on his contract, so dogs had to pay a little more, kelly will be ooc....

Heard that. My concern is that Connors only used Waldron as a mouthpiece to pump up bargaining power for this meeting. It also puts pressure on Kelly. Don't like it.

Of course he did.

It is whether GWS can bridge the gap enough in dollar terms.

The deal we have on the table likely means more for his manager in the short term.

Managers would love north get an extra few hundred thousand out of the gws and Richmond, can't blame us for having a go

Managers play the media on a break leaking stories to inflate their client's value. It is a part of the game. I am pleased that North is out there chasing a big signing. The one we get will probably be the one that doesn't hit the media in such a big way. Anyway, fingers crossed. GWS has limits - we don't.

Managers would love north get an extra few hundred thousand out of the gws and Richmond, can't blame us for having a go

If the manager is only in it for $$ we'll end up with Josh.

2 years vs 9 years. i actually think the length of contract will be the main talking point in the gws contract talks....
my gut feel is he will resign with gws, but at years end look to get traded, so as to get best value for gws.
sortvof safeguards himself if injury/lack of form occurs.

2 years vs 9 years. i actually think the length of contract will be the main talking point in the gws contract talks....
my gut feel is he will resign with gws, but at years end look to get traded, so as to get best value for gws.
sortvof safeguards himself if injury/lack of form occurs.

That will never happen. If he signs for 2 years, gws will just say no to a trade.
If he did happen to get injured, we would still offer more than whatever the gws deal would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back