List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North | PConnors - Kelly would come home for family reasons -NBowen says NM $10m/9yrs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned the Thomas situation a few months ago in this regard.

Hypothetically if he is nominated at #5 (1878 pts), we only need 2 mid second rounders and a late pick to match that.

So trading our 2017 & 2018 first round picks with potentially a 2018 second coming back could be very smart, as 2 x 2018 second round picks may turn into a top 5 pick....

We essentially get Kelly and Thomas as first rounders across the next 2 years.

The scenario I like, is retaining our 2018 first rounder, we have to give up a player, Goldstein is the obvious one.

But trading our 2018 first round pick for potentially a later 2017 first rounder and a 2018 second round pick from another club. Meaning we trade back into this years first round and still get Thomas next year.

So we get Kelly, 2017 late first round pick onto the list, Tarryn Thomas, but lose Goldy in the next 2 years.

I like this but I want our 2017 first round too (let's call it pick 5). I'm greedy like that.

We trade Goldy (for example) to a top 8 side, getting say their first selection (say pick 16), and their 2018 second rounder.

We then give GWS that pick 16, and our 2018 first rounder, hell I would even happily throw in our 2017 second rounder if it got the deal done.

So we get Kelly, pick 5 this year, and Thomas.

Lose goldy, and first pick next year (which is Thomas anyway (most likely)).

What is a premiership at a bullshit franchise club gifted absurd start up concessions really worth?

All this crap about staying for premierships??? they aren't really flags, they are flags with asterix's instigated by the Salman Butt's/ Hanse Cronje's of this world (The AFL).

Honestly who will he celebrate the medals with? his team mates? There won't be any fanfare, hardly be 10 people at the anniversaries.

I'd rather one real premiership at a proper club, than 10 bullshit flags for a marketing gimmick.

What is a premiership at a bullshit franchise club gifted absurd start up concessions really worth?

All this crap about staying for premierships??? they aren't really flags, they are flags with asterix's instigated by the Salman Butt's/ Hanse Cronje's of this world (The AFL).

Honestly who will he celebrate the medals with? his team mates? There won't be any fanfare, hardly be 10 people at the anniversaries.

I'd rather one real premiership at a proper club, than 10 bullshit flags for a marketing gimmick.

This needs to be tweeted

Players and managers are well rehearsed now in saying the right things to imply staying, loves the club and mates, has settled in well etc etc......

.......only to do the complete opposite after the season ends, and sneak out the back door.

I think we will get him regardless of what is said in coming months.

Players and managers are well rehearsed now in saying the right things to imply staying, loves the club and mates, has settled in well etc etc......

.......only to do the complete opposite after the season ends, and sneak out the back door.

I am starting to think if he was staying he would have already signed for them. Worse case scenario is he is looking at us real hard

We will know today his intentions. His managers are in Sydney "trying" to broker a contract extension today.
If nothing happens it's another day he is closer to coming to us.
I suspect there is something covert happening with other players too.
I think it's very strategic the leak. Keep Kelly unsigned longer.
I don't think it's 9 m for 9 years. There will be triggers of sorts.
But hysteria that 9 for 9 creates is enough to keep the door open.
These huge trades like Boyd and Franklin happened on the 11th hour.nobody suspected them and they were very well concealed. Especially Franklin .
If your after a player that has interest from every other club, you wouldn't leak it would you?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These huge trades like Boyd and Franklin happened on the 11th hour.nobody suspected them and they were very well concealed. Especially Franklin .

Ablett was gone in the February IIRC.

Premierships are bloody hard to win. There is no guarantee. I am sure Connors and people in his circle outside the club would be advising him that.

And if GWS dont win it this year; IMO they'll find it more difficult to win next year given the fact they will lose some more players, Kelly perhaps being one of them and most likely Stevie J. I also see them this year perhaps still lacking the maturity to get it done in the finals this year like they did last. Sure they have topped up again last year and the one before but theyre still young inexperienced players.

I actually cant think of the couple of players im thinking of, but im sure it happened a few years ago.
regardless, its just my opinion, i did t say its happening, and non the less, its actually not that bad managment, as it gives you short term security, and long term security. remember, he has every right to sign, and then change his mind end of the year, making North pay fair trade for him....
again, its just my thought, not what is happening.

It is terrible management if he turns around at the end of the year and wants to leave. GWS can say no josh you signed a contract and we plan for you to honour that contract.
He doesn't have any right to leave if he extends his contract. Once he signs a contract it is then up to gws to decide whether he can go or stay. That is the point of a contract.
If he wants to do it for security reasons, then that's all good and well. But once he signs that contract he loses all power to get where he wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premierships are bloody hard to win. There is no guarantee. I am sure Connors and people in his circle outside the club would be advising him that.

And if GWS dont win it this year; IMO they'll find it more difficult to win next year given the fact they will lose some more players, Kelly perhaps being one of them and most likely Stevie J. I also see them this year perhaps still lacking the maturity to get it done in the finals this year like they did last. Sure they have topped up again last year and the one before but theyre still young inexperienced players.
They also have a rubbish defensive unit if you ask me. A team like WCE could carve their defenders up pretty easily if they can get enough midfield ball.

GWS are relying on their midfield winning everything and putting it on a plate to their very good forwards but if another team can get on top in the midfield they dont have the defensive group to stop a team like Adelaide (which we have already seen) or WCE.

I personally dont think they will win the flag this year

They also have a rubbish defensive unit if you ask me. A team like WCE could carve their defenders up pretty easily if they can get enough midfield ball.

GWS are relying on their midfield winning everything and putting it on a plate to their very good forwards but if another team can get on top in the midfield they dont have the defensive group to stop a team like Adelaide (which we have already seen) or WCE.

I personally dont think they will win the flag this year
When I see Devon Smith and Toby Greene still doing 'unteam' like things it still presents to me they are as arrogant and cocky as their coach. Demonstrating and persisting with those acts don't give me much confidence in them getting it done when it matters.

And what you said; ie Bulldogs. Had workman like midfield that worked harder and got it done.

Pity GWS didnt win it last year and Josh already getting his premiership as it would of made his decision easier ;P

Yep, if he stays he'll just be the next Nathan Buckley. He'll end up not willing a premiership while watching Dusty win 3 at the Roos!

The news was that Josh has not seen our official offer. So chances are his management is showing him that slip of paper as well while theyre up there.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Come on ozzy they had you at "trade Goldstein" didn't they?
Call me a visionary I changed my underwear ...... twice. ;)

All serious though........listening and watching media thourses, it irritates me greatly where certain experts (Tim Watson to mention one) offers his thoughts as a non by partisan commentator suggesting that maybe Josh should take a 2 year extension deal then see what happens ,the salary cap has been raised ( and maybe in 2 years time a certain decent player on huge coin at *FC finishes his career) One gets a feeling that Jobe has 2 years running on what will be his final contract. It irks me greatly when we have former great players working the media gigs and they're not selling the the godfather deal hard enough, when they know the Tim Watson's, the Brereton's, the Roos's and the Mcguire's have their hearts not too far away when commentating on issues throughout the football season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back