List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North | PConnors - Kelly would come home for family reasons -NBowen says NM $10m/9yrs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah we are desperate apparently lol.
If it was Hawthorn floating the cabbage around Kingy and the cronies would be saying how 'brave' and 'bold' they are...

It's gonna hurt a lot of commentators when we come good again, it hurt them the past 5 years when we beat Ninethmond, the *Scum and Gee-Long in finals.
They will feast over us being down the bottom for a couple of years but boy I can't wait when we come good again - they will spew.

Imagine if it was Richmond or Essendon it would be talked up as a master stroke by the media, I personally think the club should have tried to keep this low key until they had the deal done.

I would rather use our equity in blooding more less expensive young recruits with a rebuild, as others have said here the media are waiting with baited breath to put the boots in if this falls over you could see it from the start of speculation.
The boots my be put in come this Saturday if we lose to GWS.

We will never get any good publicity from the media which has been proven Time and time again this is were I draw my conclusion that there seems to be a conspired effort by the media to denounce our club at any given opportunity thus creating a negative perception of our club.

One would have to say that the AFL are behind this drive as we were never forgiven for not goin up north, it's ironic that in 96 we wanted to merge with Fitzroy only to have the AFL pull the rug from under us in the last hour.

If it was Hawthorn floating the cabbage around Kingy and the cronies would be saying how 'brave' and 'bold' they are...

It's gonna hurt a lot of commentators when we come good again, it hurt them the past 5 years when we beat Ninethmond, the *Scum and Gee-Long in finals.
They will feast over us being down the bottom for a couple of years but boy I can't wait when we come good again - they will spew.
Sherm.....were you old enough to see what was really going on behind the scenes before 96? That sch1te would make your hairs curl.

Sherm.....were you old enough to see what was really going on behind the scenes before 96? That sch1te would make your hairs curl.
Yeah mate I'm certainly old enough, in fact I have no hair left so no chance of it curling ;)

Imagine if it was Richmond or Essendon it would be talked up as a master stroke by the media, I personally think the club should have tried to keep this low key until they had the deal done.

I would rather use our equity in blooding more less expensive young recruits with a rebuild, as others have said here the media are waiting with baited breath to put the boots in if this falls over you could see it from the start of speculation.

We will never get any good publicity from the media which has been proven Time and time again this is were I draw my conclusion that there seems to be a conspired effort by the media to denounce our club at any given opportunity thus creating a negative perception of our club.

One would have to say that the AFL are behind this drive as we were never forgiven for not goin up north, it's ironic that in 96 we wanted to merge with Fitzroy only to have the AFL pull the rug from under us in the last hour.
It was Connors who slipped the leak out not the club. Club wouldnt risk looking silly if the deal falls through after missing out on Treloar, Neal and Heeney attempts.

Yeah we probably are, no fault of our own though. Draft picks 16, 21 and 12 as our first round picks the last 3 years. Before that 18 , 15 and 8. One top ten pick in six years!

Add no silver ware to show for it.......... maybe the club isn't desperate but s**t I am. :)
I was about to say I know the hell we sure are desperate.....especially 36 pages in :)

Regardless of what anyone in the media says, it is a bold (but sensible) move!

It is not us that has publicised this. It is come via Kelly's manager. If the choice were ours, I imagine we would have wanted it kept hush-hush. However, if we want him we had to make the offer now; the risk is it comes out, as it has, and, if he does not come to us, then we may look like fools. That is part of the boldness.

Part of me is annoyed that we may be being used as pawns. On the other hand, Franklin and Ablett were rumoured to be going well before it actually happened, albeit Buddy went to the Swans not to GWS. A key difference here is the specific amounts and years being mentioned, whether fully accurate or not. Perhaps that is the new norm vs us being used as leverage? (I hope so.)

Yeah made me laugh the whole "he'd be leaving for the money". I was like hold up a sec, maybe the kid wants to play where his dad played, wants to move back home. It's not just the money aspect, sure that's nice but the media is ignoring the other elements.

It is highly unlikely that we will be able to draft a player of his ability and we have the cap room. It's not even a 'bold' move it's just smart to try and bring in a kid who will see out his career at North and probably end up a top 5 mid in the comp.

If we can get him, get Ahern up and going, bring in Tarryn Thomas and have Jy's x factor in the side we will be contending in 5 years. Lots of ifs obviously, particularly with Ahern.

People from other clubs just see the figure and are aghast. Do the dogs know that Boyd will be ooc when he hits his prime at 25-26? We can lock Kelly away for his entire prime which will be pretty special imo.

Yeah made me laugh the whole "he'd be leaving for the money". I was like hold up a sec, maybe the kid wants to play where his dad played, wants to move back home. It's not just the money aspect, sure that's nice but the media is ignoring the other elements.
the last time players joined us just for the money we won 2 flags. Hope it happens again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make several good points here Alpine17 but why should we give a flying fruitcake what the media think or say .... I admire the clubs boldness on this. If this deal falls over they'll be lining up to pour scorn scorn on us but we shouldn't be letting fear of that dictate what we do...

It is highly unlikely that we will be able to draft a player of his ability and we have the cap room. It's not even a 'bold' move it's just smart to try and bring in a kid who will see out his career at North and probably end up a top 5 mid in the comp.

If we can get him, get Ahern up and going, bring in Tarryn Thomas and have Jy's x factor in the side we will be contending in 5 years. Lots of ifs obviously, particularly with Ahern.

People from other clubs just see the figure and are aghast. Do the dogs know that Boyd will be ooc when he hits his prime at 25-26? We can lock Kelly away for his entire prime which will be pretty special imo.

Amen to that brother.....

the last time players joined us just for the money we won 2 flags. Hope it happens again.
I have to say, I'm thoroughly enjoying this Josh Kelly speculation... I just love this idea of a messianic figure to take us to the promised land...a player of almost supernatural abilities discussed with religious reverence..... And the great thing is he's the gift that keeps on giving. If he signs for us the announcement won't be until October... How many pages will his thread be then? A far greater number than the majority of our seven year players I'd venture to suggest... Every tweet and Instagram post will be dissected with forensic detail, every dog lead purchased assessed and interpreted, his every movement scrutinised and deified....Come on Josh.....do the decent thing and reject the GWS offer....

You make several good points here Alpine17 but why should we give a flying fruitcake what the media think or say .... I admire the clubs boldness on this. If this deal falls over they'll be lining up to pour scorn scorn on us but we shouldn't be letting fear of that dictate what we do...
I think its more on the perception of our club and in turn being a club players want to come to. If we continue to get treated like a joke; then it does make 'somewhat' of a difference. I say somewhat as players are on the inside of clubs and know its not all what it seems from the outside. They also have their managers sorting it.

I guess also people are also a little tired of the lack of respect.

I think its more on the perception of our club and in turn being a club players want to come to. If we continue to get treated like a joke; then it does make 'somewhat' of a difference. I say somewhat as players are on the inside of clubs and know its not all what it seems from the outside. They also have their managers sorting it.

I guess also people are also a little tired of the lack of respect.
I am tired of the lack of respect also... But why the cultural cringe people? By most metrics we have punched well above our weight over the last 7 years. If we continue to act like a small club that's all we will ever be.... We have to take risks to grow and change perceptions.... For me, this is a step in the right direction...

I am tired of the lack of respect also... But why the cultural cringe people? By most metrics we have punched well above our weight over the last 7 years. If we continue to act like a small club that's all we will ever be.... We have to take risks to grow and change perceptions.... For me, this is a step in the right direction...
We got a birdie last week according to Terry Wallace. :stern look

Oh I have no problem with what the club is doing. I say go for it. If the media want to bash us for it, then so be it.

Anyways I've heard whispers that we aren't just targeting Kelly and Martin but we are interested in Ablett plus there has been talk of redrafting Harvey as a Rookie. If this comes into fruition expect us to rocket to Premiership Favouritism. :stern look

There was a chance that I was coming back to Melbs for a stint (mum has the big C and me out on the grass) but I scored a really good gig and mum's managing her situation so it will have to be put on hold...... It still could happen but on a shorter time frame now.

Happy to argue with you on here, but sorry to hear about your Mum.

Go Roos.

Happy to argue with you on here, but sorry to hear about your Mum.

Go Roos.
Cheers Hilly, I don't take pot shots personally.....entering my 51st year and unfortuntely when you're that old. The next tier of family members start dropping away. She's battling away.......definitely in the tough category.

Josh Kelly trade: Brian Lake questions whether Giants midfielder is marketable enough for mega deal
riley_beveridge.jpg

PREMIERSHIP star Brian Lake has questioned whether Greater Western Sydney young gun Josh Kelly is marketable enough to earn one of the league’s biggest contracts.
It was reported during the week that Kelly is the subject of a mammoth nine-year contract offer from North Melbourne, rumoured to be worth around $9 million across that period.

It would make the 22-year-old, who has played just 62 senior games, one of the highest paid players in the competition and the holder of one of the AFL’s longest deals.

But Lake, who won three consecutive flags with Hawthorn, has questioned whether the Kangaroos will benefit off the field from the move, as well as on it.

“It’s a lot of money and the guys that are getting those big contracts at the moment are more marketable players,” Lake told Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“Josh Kelly, is he a marketable player? If he does go to North, are they going to put him on all the advertising and all the memorabilia? And can he handle that at such a young age?

“The club is spending that much money, you’d want someone that they can get some reimbursement from, marketing-wise.”

Kelly has enjoyed a stellar start to the season, racking up 27 disposals and kicking three goals in Greater Western Sydney’s 102-point victory over Gold Coast last Saturday.

But former North Melbourne player Nick Dal Santo questioned whether the Kangaroos would be better served looking at established players within the league at season’s end.

“You’ve got to think if you’ve got $1 million in your salary cap, are there other people out there?” Dal Santo asked.

“Nat Fyfe is the obvious one and he’s going to be (worth) a lot more than $1 million, but do you weigh that up as an investment?

“Do you take Kelly or do you put out another $500,000 and make it $1.5 million and get Fyfe? Then you get the marketability and the extra sponsors and members — and he’s a decent player.”

Josh Kelly trade: Brian Lake questions whether Giants midfielder is marketable enough for mega deal
riley_beveridge.jpg

PREMIERSHIP star Brian Lake has questioned whether Greater Western Sydney young gun Josh Kelly is marketable enough to earn one of the league’s biggest contracts.
It was reported during the week that Kelly is the subject of a mammoth nine-year contract offer from North Melbourne, rumoured to be worth around $9 million across that period.

It would make the 22-year-old, who has played just 62 senior games, one of the highest paid players in the competition and the holder of one of the AFL’s longest deals.

But Lake, who won three consecutive flags with Hawthorn, has questioned whether the Kangaroos will benefit off the field from the move, as well as on it.

“It’s a lot of money and the guys that are getting those big contracts at the moment are more marketable players,” Lake told Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“Josh Kelly, is he a marketable player? If he does go to North, are they going to put him on all the advertising and all the memorabilia? And can he handle that at such a young age?

“The club is spending that much money, you’d want someone that they can get some reimbursement from, marketing-wise.”

Kelly has enjoyed a stellar start to the season, racking up 27 disposals and kicking three goals in Greater Western Sydney’s 102-point victory over Gold Coast last Saturday.

But former North Melbourne player Nick Dal Santo questioned whether the Kangaroos would be better served looking at established players within the league at season’s end.

“You’ve got to think if you’ve got $1 million in your salary cap, are there other people out there?” Dal Santo asked.

“Nat Fyfe is the obvious one and he’s going to be (worth) a lot more than $1 million, but do you weigh that up as an investment?

“Do you take Kelly or do you put out another $500,000 and make it $1.5 million and get Fyfe? Then you get the marketability and the extra sponsors and members — and he’s a decent player.”

I gotta meedya gig so I gotta say wordz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back